Ruling Latios GX vs Reshizard

NightSage

Aspiring Trainer
With Latios GX i attack with Tag Purge, my opponent promotes reshizard and uses Double Blaze GX with 6 energy to my Latios. What happens?

Last edited:

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
I'm pretty sure Double Blaze-GX, with the extra energy, ignores all effects on the defending Pokémon, which means that the damage does go through Tag Purge. That's why a lot of Latios-GX/Mew&Mewtwo-GX players prioritise an early Clear Vision-GX to prevent this. I'm not a judge, though, so I can't say for 100% certainty that this is the case.

NightSage

Aspiring Trainer
Keldeo doesnt die though, ive witnessed it on PTCGO. Ive never seen a tag purge vs double blaze gx though.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Keldeo doesnt die though, ive witnessed it on PTCGO. Ive never seen a tag purge vs double blaze gx though.
PTCGO isn't an actual rules source. It's full of bugs and card interactions not working properly.

Also Reshizard needs 3 extra energy (for 6 energy) for it's GX attack to ignore effects . So it may be that what you saw was Reshizard GXing with insufficient energy

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Why need? The card is clear "this attack's damage isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokémon". Keldeo's ability is an effect that is on the pokemon. It's completely obvious why Double Blaze GX ignores Keldeo's ability

AlphaVoxel

Definitely still in development...
Forum Mod
Hello NightSage!

As others have said, Reshiram & Charizard's GX attack would ignore the secondary effect of Latios GX's Tag Purge. Here is a somewhat relevant Ruling from Pokegym:

Double Blaze GX (Reshiram & Charizard GX - Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If Reshiram & Charizard GX has the extra 3 Fire Energy for "Double Blaze GX's" bonus effect and attacks a Whimsicott GX with "Fluffy Cotton" Ability, does the Whimsicott GX get to flip for "Fluffy Cotton" or does the "Double Blaze GX" attack go through automatically?
A. Technically speaking you still flip for Fluffy Cotton, but regardless of the flip's outcome the Double Blaze GX attack ignores the effect and does the damage anyway. (Jun 27, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Due to how ReshiZard's GX attack works, in that case, no matter what the outcome of the Coin Flip on Whimsicott, the attack will still go through because Double Blaze ignores the effect. This is the same for attacking a Latios GX that has attacked with Tag Purge: normally, the damage would be prevented, but Double Blaze ignores that effect.

I hope this provides the clarification you are looking for. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask!

Thanks,
-Alpha

P.S. - Am Tournament Organizer/TCG Judge.

hellokevin

Aspiring Trainer
Hello NightSage!

As others have said, Reshiram & Charizard's GX attack would ignore the secondary effect of Latios GX's Tag Purge. Here is a somewhat relevant Ruling from Pokegym:

Double Blaze GX (Reshiram & Charizard GX - Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If Reshiram & Charizard GX has the extra 3 Fire Energy for "Double Blaze GX's" bonus effect and attacks a Whimsicott GX with "Fluffy Cotton" Ability, does the Whimsicott GX get to flip for "Fluffy Cotton" or does the "Double Blaze GX" attack go through automatically?
A. Technically speaking you still flip for Fluffy Cotton, but regardless of the flip's outcome the Double Blaze GX attack ignores the effect and does the damage anyway. (Jun 27, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Due to how ReshiZard's GX attack works, in that case, no matter what the outcome of the Coin Flip on Whimsicott, the attack will still go through because Double Blaze ignores the effect. This is the same for attacking a Latios GX that has attacked with Tag Purge: normally, the damage would be prevented, but Double Blaze ignores that effect.

I hope this provides the clarification you are looking for. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask!

Thanks,
-Alpha

P.S. - Am Tournament Organizer/TCG Judge.

Hi AlphaVoxel, I think NightSage is still looking for an answer specifically about Keldeo GX's ability. You clarified on the original question and I know the others have already answered, but I think your answer regarding Keldeo is what he is now looking for.

AlphaVoxel

Forum Mod
Ok, having looked at the previous comments, as well as thoroughly reading the cards and any relevant materials I could find, I think I can easily say this:

Keldeo GX would be knocked out by Double Blaze (provided you have the necessary Energy), as the attack says, “If this Pokemon has at least 3 extra Fire Energy attached to it , this attack does 100 more damage, and this attack's damage isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokemon.” Keldeo GX’s ability IS an effect on the opponent’s active Pokémon, which would be bypassed by Double Blaze.

As others have mentioned, PTCGO is absolutely full of glitches. When in doubt, it’s usually best to assume that TCGO is wrong, though there can be exceptions.

I hope this clarifies things.

Thanks,
-Alpha

hellokevin

Aspiring Trainer
Ok, having looked at the previous comments, as well as thoroughly reading the cards and any relevant materials I could find, I think I can easily say this:

Keldeo GX would be knocked out by Double Blaze (provided you have the necessary Energy), as the attack says, “If this Pokemon has at least 3 extra Fire Energy attached to it , this attack does 100 more damage, and this attack's damage isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokemon.” Keldeo GX’s ability IS an effect on the opponent’s active Pokémon, which would be bypassed by Double Blaze.

As others have mentioned, PTCGO is absolutely full of glitches. When in doubt, it’s usually best to assume that TCGO is wrong, though there can be exceptions.

I hope this clarifies things.

Thanks,
-Alpha
First of all, thanks, as a moderator for actually being active in this forum and responding quickly. Too often you see other forums where you get a response in like a week, when the question might not be relevant anymore.

Secondly, do you think you could expand on how you would know when there is an "effect on you" vs "effect on your opponent's Active Pokemon"? Are there examples of consistent text that are very explicitly used for each one? This is something I often find myself explaining to new players.

AlphaVoxel

Forum Mod
First of all, thanks, as a moderator for actually being active in this forum and responding quickly. Too often you see other forums where you get a response in like a week, when the question might not be relevant anymore.

Secondly, do you think you could expand on how you would know when there is an "effect on you" vs "effect on your opponent's Active Pokemon"? Are there examples of consistent text that are very explicitly used for each one? This is something I often find myself explaining to new players.
Thanks! I try to respond to the Rulings questions when I can, though sometimes I'm beaten to it.

I can try to expand on that area a bit, but I will admit that's one of the weird areas of Rulings. I'll give it a shot though!

Here's a few examples of "effect on you/a player" vs. "effect on an Active/Defending Pokemon:"

Effect on a Player:
Vileplume, Ancient Origins
Ability - Irritating Pollen
Each player can't play any Item cards from his or her hand.

Ninetales, Primal Clash
Ability - Barrier Shrine
Each player can't play any Stadium cards from his or her hand.

Seismitoad EX, Furious Fists
Quaking Punch - DCE, 30 Damage
Your opponent can't play any Item cards from his or her hand during his or her next turn.

Slakoth, Unified Minds
Lazy Howl - Colorless, No Damage
During your opponent’s next turn, if they attach an Energy card from their hand to the Defending Pokémon, their turn ends.

Effects/Effects of Attacks on a Pokemon:
Keldeo GX, Unified Minds
Ability — Pure Heart
Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokémon by the attacks of your opponent's Pokémon-GX and Pokémon-EX.

Jirachi, XY Promo
[1] Stardust (10)
Discard a Special Energy attached to your opponent's Active Pokemon. If you do, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokemon during your opponent's next turn.

Sceptile EX, XY Promos
[G] Agility (20)
Flip a coin. If heads, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokemon during your opponent's next turn.

Jirachi, Roaring Skies
[1M] Doom Desire
Discard all Energy attached to this Pokemon. The Defending Pokemon is Knocked Out at the end of your opponent's next turn.

In the case of an Effect on a Player, it will usually specify "The Opponent," "Both/Each/Neither Player(s)," or something similar. Examples of which are Seismitoad EX, Ninetales (Primal Clash), and Vileplume (Ancient Origins). These effects usually will specify whether a player can/can't do certain actions during their next turn, or at all.

In the case of an Effect/Effect of an Attack on a Pokemon, it will often say "the defending Pokemon," "the Opponent's active Pokemon," or "this Pokemon." Examples of which are Sceptile EX (XY Promos), Keldeo GX (Unified Minds), and Jirachi (Roaring Skies). These effects often give a certain effect that will happen if the specified Pokemon is attacked, knocked out, etc. Sometimes, rather than being an attack, it will be an Ability, such as in the case of Keldeo GX. In many cases, Abilities like Keldeo's are considered to be effects on a Pokemon.

I hope this clarifies things for you and your players. As I mentioned earlier, this is kind of a weird area of Rulings/Judging, but I the answer I have given should cover the basics. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask! I will try to answer as soon as I can (or, other people might beat me to it). I also will respond to PMs if you just have a quick question.

Thanks,
-Alpha

hellokevin

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks! I try to respond to the Rulings questions when I can, though sometimes I'm beaten to it.

I can try to expand on that area a bit, but I will admit that's one of the weird areas of Rulings. I'll give it a shot though!

Here's a few examples of "effect on you/a player" vs. "effect on an Active/Defending Pokemon:"

Effect on a Player:
Vileplume, Ancient Origins
Ability - Irritating Pollen
Each player can't play any Item cards from his or her hand.

Ninetales, Primal Clash
Ability - Barrier Shrine
Each player can't play any Stadium cards from his or her hand.

Seismitoad EX, Furious Fists
Quaking Punch - DCE, 30 Damage
Your opponent can't play any Item cards from his or her hand during his or her next turn.

Slakoth, Unified Minds
Lazy Howl - Colorless, No Damage
During your opponent’s next turn, if they attach an Energy card from their hand to the Defending Pokémon, their turn ends.

Effects/Effects of Attacks on a Pokemon:
Keldeo GX, Unified Minds
Ability — Pure Heart
Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokémon by the attacks of your opponent's Pokémon-GX and Pokémon-EX.

Jirachi, XY Promo
[1] Stardust (10)
Discard a Special Energy attached to your opponent's Active Pokemon. If you do, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokemon during your opponent's next turn.

Sceptile EX, XY Promos
[G] Agility (20)
Flip a coin. If heads, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokemon during your opponent's next turn.

Jirachi, Roaring Skies
[1M] Doom Desire
Discard all Energy attached to this Pokemon. The Defending Pokemon is Knocked Out at the end of your opponent's next turn.

In the case of an Effect on a Player, it will usually specify "The Opponent," "Both/Each/Neither Player(s)," or something similar. Examples of which are Seismitoad EX, Ninetales (Primal Clash), and Vileplume (Ancient Origins). These effects usually will specify whether a player can/can't do certain actions during their next turn, or at all.

In the case of an Effect/Effect of an Attack on a Pokemon, it will often say "the defending Pokemon," "the Opponent's active Pokemon," or "this Pokemon." Examples of which are Sceptile EX (XY Promos), Keldeo GX (Unified Minds), and Jirachi (Roaring Skies). These effects often give a certain effect that will happen if the specified Pokemon is attacked, knocked out, etc. Sometimes, rather than being an attack, it will be an Ability, such as in the case of Keldeo GX. In many cases, Abilities like Keldeo's are considered to be effects on a Pokemon.

I hope this clarifies things for you and your players. As I mentioned earlier, this is kind of a weird area of Rulings/Judging, but I the answer I have given should cover the basics. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask! I will try to answer as soon as I can (or, other people might beat me to it). I also will respond to PMs if you just have a quick question.

Thanks,
-Alpha
Omg. I just had an epiphany. This entire time I've been thinking that there was an "effect on your Pokemon" and "effect on your opponent's Pokemon" type of effect, when instead there's a difference in verbage because the two types of effect are actually, "effect on Pokemon" and "effect on player" like you say "Here's a few examples of "effect on you/a player" vs. "effect on an Active/Defending Pokemon:".

This clears up so much. Thanks soooo much!