Discussion Will Zeraora GX be viable?

XCITE

Aspiring Trainer
I personally think it will be if buzz/shrine dies down, because it seems like an impossible matchup for Zeraora.

To clarify, I have a heavily tested list. Zeraora's gx attack seems to be the optimal energy acceleration, because vikavolt and magnezone are inconsistent. as for raikou, I haven't tested it but I would think it would be too slow. Here's my list

13 Pokémon

4 Zeraora GX -Lost Thunder
3 Shuckle -Lost Thunder
1 Blitzle -Lost Thunder
1 Zebstrika -Lost Thunder
1 Tapu Lele GX - GRI
3 Tapu Koko -SM PRM

11 Energy

11 Electric

34 Trainers

3 Aether Paradise Conservation Area
1 Thunder Mountain <>
4 Choice Band
4 Cynthia
3 Guzma
4 Pokémon Fan Club
1 Lillie
1 Hala
4 Ultra Ball
4 Nest Ball
4 Electric Power
1 Field Blower

Last edited:

TorchHG

Aspiring Trainer
So, Buzz Shrine will definitely be a bad matchup for the deck, and Zeroara GX does have a fair amount of potential.

One of the thing Zeroara GX lacks is cheap attack costs. 3 energy is a fair amount to get, so one of the main ways to make the deck viable is finding what energy acceleration works the best.

Probably the most reliable but also slowest ennergy acceleration will be Raikou. It does allow for you to charge a Zeroara GX in 2 turns at best (play down Thunder Mountain Prism Star, attach for turn to Zeroara, use Raikou’s Booming Thunder, attach energy to Zeroara on second turn). This line of play wants to make sure you keep energy on, as an early knockout slows you tremendously.

Magcargo GX is an option, but this will definitely fill up bench space as you try to fit a good amount of Magcargos, Magcargo GX, and Zeroara GX. This to me seems a little clunky, but once setup allows you to stream Zeroara GXs.

There’s Magnezone, which would allow a quick setup of multiple Zeroaras if you can get Magnezone out quick enough. This has the potential to steamroll games.

Lastly there’s Vikavolt, but personally I think this might be worse than Magnezone as you have to include some grass. That and Zebestrika is definitely the best drawing Pokémon which does not necessarily work well with Vikavolt.

Just looking at Pennsylvania day 2 and what was played, Buzz Shrine is definitely present, but it really isn’t a huge portion of the metagame, so I feel Zeroara is pretty safe in that respect.

Wailord's Pokemon

Pokemon TCG player. 2019 Worlds Competitor.
So, Buzz Shrine will definitely be a bad matchup for the deck, and Zeroara GX does have a fair amount of potential.

One of the thing Zeroara GX lacks is cheap attack costs. 3 energy is a fair amount to get, so one of the main ways to make the deck viable is finding what energy acceleration works the best.

Probably the most reliable but also slowest ennergy acceleration will be Raikou. It does allow for you to charge a Zeroara GX in 2 turns at best (play down Thunder Mountain Prism Star, attach for turn to Zeroara, use Raikou’s Booming Thunder, attach energy to Zeroara on second turn). This line of play wants to make sure you keep energy on, as an early knockout slows you tremendously.

Magcargo GX is an option, but this will definitely fill up bench space as you try to fit a good amount of Magcargos, Magcargo GX, and Zeroara GX. This to me seems a little clunky, but once setup allows you to stream Zeroara GXs.

There’s Magnezone, which would allow a quick setup of multiple Zeroaras if you can get Magnezone out quick enough. This has the potential to steamroll games.

Lastly there’s Vikavolt, but personally I think this might be worse than Magnezone as you have to include some grass. That and Zebestrika is definitely the best drawing Pokémon which does not necessarily work well with Vikavolt.

Just looking at Pennsylvania day 2 and what was played, Buzz Shrine is definitely present, but it really isn’t a huge portion of the metagame, so I feel Zeroara is pretty safe in that respect.
Definitely. Buzz Shrine beats it, but Zeroara GX Magnezone could be interesting. Has to be tested to make sure that Buzzshrine's presence doesn't overshadow it.

Kashvinder Mann

Aspiring Trainer
Zeraora will see play because of the ability but not in decks we'd expect to see. Saw it in some weird decks over in Japan where I was there.

Wailord's Pokemon

Pokemon TCG player. 2019 Worlds Competitor.

I know this was an old post, but Tapu Koko prism is really good for Zeraora.

TorchHG

Aspiring Trainer
I know this was an old post, but Tapu Koko prism is really good for Zeraora.

At the time of writing, I was unaware of Tapu Koko Prism Star, but you make a very valid point! It might make straight variants better as you can then potentially attach for turn, and grab Elisia (don’t remember the spelling...) and grab Thunder Mountain and Tapu Koko.

XCITE

Aspiring Trainer
4 Fan club? Cut to 2-3 and put some more Lele in (if you own them $$$$$$$)
the 4 fan club has proven to be necessary because I try to avoid using lele because it takes bench space, and between shuckle and 1 lele that's already too much, but its something I have to deal with. I have also never prized lele befor so I have not had trouble with that either

Hawlucha22

Aspiring Trainer
At the time of writing, I was unaware of Tapu Koko Prism Star, but you make a very valid point! It might make straight variants better as you can then potentially attach for turn, and grab Elisia (don’t remember the spelling...) and grab Thunder Mountain and Tapu Koko.
Just saying, Koko prism isn't coming out until February

TorchHG

Aspiring Trainer
Just saying, Koko prism isn't coming out until February

Oh, that's also nice to know. All of the leaks of cards coming out and about has my brain all confused of what's actually coming out in November. So, my judgement currently stands that Zeroara will probably be good / streamlined in February.