'Explosive Impact,' Japan's SM8 Set; Raises Questions About Switch Release

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
Well, one good thing is that this is Shuckle's first time as a GX/EX/Prime or anything similar.

But the good things end there because the rest of this card is hot garbage. First off 170 HP on a Pokemon worth two prize cards is never a good idea. Next up is the ability, which is very niche has most Pokemon require 3 energies for most of their attacks in this meta. Afterwards. we have it's Triple Poison attack which is very underwhelming for a Pokemon GX with only one normal attack, especially one with so little health. If it did 40 or 50 in between turns, it might be worth it but even then probably not. And finally, there is it's GX attack which is atrocious. It does 40 damage and paralyses the opponent's Pokemon. I get that this can be used after Triple Poison to get 130 on the opponent's active before they can attack but the problem is 130 doesn't knock out anything except plain basics and stage 1s and do you really want to waste your GX attack for the game when almost literally any other GX attack could either OHKO most other GX Pokemon or dramatically change the game around via other means?

All in all, this card is an absolute joke. I can just imagine whoever was designing dying from laughter because it was so bad. The worst part about it isn't it's unplayability, it's the fact that you have to pity the person who pulls this as one of their ultra rares, especially if it's their Full Art or Rainbow Rare.

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
...Shuckle-GX.
Seriously... a Shuckle-GX! I can't believe they did this! I'm laughing like mad right now! Now they need to make a Farfech'd-GX and Illumise-GX someday. "^_^"

As for the card it itself, I see it not winning games on its own - but it could make a pretty nice 'lead' card for many decks. If your opponent uses a low energy deck, you can just wall it with poison, and drive them mad as you develop your side of the field. The GX attack is a throwaway stall move, but it lets you access Hala early.

True, Alolan Muk is a counter, but it is also extra investment in a deck to stop this one card. Plus, by the time your opponent gets it out, you probably will have a more developed field to work an deal with the opponent's strategy. Definitely a nice tech option in stage 2 decks - particularly Non-GX ones.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I really do hope they keep these weird Pokemon as GX cards coming, as a collector it makes me really happy. It's been going especially strong lately with stuff like Sigilyph and Magcargo but this especially takes the cake. Keep it coming, Pokemon. Keep it coming.

Orias

Still waiting for a shiny gastly card.
What a pleasant surprise,i love shuckle.
I'm really hoping for a full art version.
This is definitely one of my favorite GX cards.

Last edited:

SquirtleRules

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Oh yeah, here comes the anti-energy / wall deck (enhanced hammer, crushing hammer, eneporter, etc). Move over Sylveon, there is a new king of annoying decks to play against.

And "Shuckle" "GX" just has an anti-ring to it.

Karma = running into a Malamar or VikuBulu deck and getting crushed.

birdboy2000

Bird Keeper
It seems good in mill decks. Hammer away and wall the heck out of your opponent. You don't play it for its attacks, although committing an energy to force your opponent to eventually retreat or lose that pokemon isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Xeynid

Aspiring Trainer
I don't know how anyone looks at shuckle GX and thinks it's "Garbage."

If you're playing a slower deck that needs to set up, like garde, shuckle here is immune to basically everything that buzz and zoroark are likely to throw at you for a few turns.

It's a great one-of for slower decks to give them time.