Finished PokeBeach Mafia 50: Fray at the Beach - Game Over - Claim Your Prizes and Vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the name-kill was all that over-powered, especially once it was figured out. The two specific interactions that would have allowed for it to be abused were QuakingPunch's ability, and the Latias/Latios pair-up. I did enjoy being the mole in Mimikyu's conversation, and trying to figure out how long to stay buried in there while gathering a backlog of names for the scum-team heh.

Credit to Manaphy/Phione for faking his name too ;) Although we picked up that it was happening and might have gone for him had he not been lynched.

Also thanks to Camo as scum advisor!

Not the Ability as it is. And it was almost obvious since night 2, as Camo said.
I'm aware of the past behavior and I had literally 1,5 kills per night in my game, with one of the factions killing in alternate nights.
But this was permanent; and we lost a player all but 1-2 nights. The only thing that gave us some momentum was Yog's death but that's it.
There was no way to get rid of it.
One way to call a player town or not was claiming, but those that did barely made it a day later.
The Ability itself isn't broken. But it had no limitations at all.

Well the factional night kill is broken too then isn’t it? It’s a kill that is guaranteed and has no limitations other than the fact that someone can block it with certain abilities

No because that's their wincon, basically.
But for practical purposes they had a second one for the entirety of the game.

@TOTAL_EPICNESS How did you know Yog was scum when you killed him with that super massive coconut? Were you suspecting of him or it was just luck?
I went to the dead chat my first post was along the lines of “who do you want me to kill” and a lot of people said Yog and gave reasoning so I looked at some of his posts and decided he was a good option and then I did it

No because that's their wincon, basically.
But for practical purposes they had a second one for the entirety of the game.
So you’d have them going on 1 kill a night in a game of 20+ people?

And the second kill was so easily avoidable it’s embarassing literally all you have to do is not show your name and they have to guess from 700+ Pokémon

Not the Ability as it is. And it was almost obvious since night 2, as Camo said.
I'm aware of the past behavior and I had literally 1,5 kills per night in my game, with one of the factions killing in alternate nights.
But this was permanent; and we lost a player all but 1-2 nights. The only thing that gave us some momentum was Yog's death but that's it.
There was no way to get rid of it.
One way to call a player town or not was claiming, but those that did barely made it a day later.
The Ability itself isn't broken. But it had no limitations at all.

If I'm counting correctly, the name-kill was successfully only 4 or 5 out of the 9 nights. You probably should also check the details of the name-kill mechanic in the original mafian QuickTopic chat, since there were definitely limitations that made the Ability even more situational and deterred the mafians from being too risky (i.e. you guess wrong, you can't guess that player again). :p

It would have been very simple to a) not claim flavour (because of the name-killer) b) write your own flavour or c) claim a different Pokemon. In your case, you could have claimed Meowth for all anyone cared (and even asked us to write flavour for you, if you didn't have the time!), and no one would have batted an eyelid. I was actually concerned that it'd be too easy to dance around this mechanic at one point, since there was a variety of simple ways to fend against it.

Well the factional night kill is broken too then isn’t it? It’s a kill that is guaranteed and has no limitations other than the fact that someone can block it with certain abilities
From a game-design perspective, it is absolutely necessary that the mafians have at least a single factional kill, as they would be completely reliant on the innocents making mistakes after mistakes otherwise (and that's not very reasonable). Not to mention that anyone believed to be innocent beyond reasonable doubt would be untouchable - and if you have enough of those untouchable innocents alive, it's game over for the mafians. The question is whether or not the mafian having ~1.5 kills in a 27-player game, instead of 1 kill, would be too much.

EDIT: For those interested, in a game of 27 players with 6 mafians at 1 kill and 1 lynch per cycle, the minimum length would be 11 days. This would mean that the mafians would have to survive 11 days in a row without being lynched at all, which is near-impossible. n.n'

Last edited:
So you’d have them going on 1 kill a night in a game of 20+ people?
Playing correctly and lynching town they would had 2 townies dead per cycle.
Add a /regulated/ name kill (idk, once every even night or can't use 2 in a row) and that would have made up for the game's size.

This took form as a Duskull, who could post in-thread (but not vote) even though they were dead, and had a 3-shot Ability that could delay the death of a player killed during the Night by one. This was effectively a weak doctor simply intended to buy the town a bit more time (and role usage), and actually gave me a bit of relief when I realised that a) the mafians were slipping under the radar extraordinarily well and b) all the new players on the mafian team were getting or risking being subbed out with veterans.

Wait, Tyler could use his ability 3 TIMES!??!
But he only used it twice, once on me, once on SM. Why didn't he use it on the last night? :(

BB I’m not saying the true kill should be removed I was just pointing out that what Luis said made no sense using that as an example

BB I’m not saying the true kill should be removed I was just pointing out that what Luis said made no sense using that as an example
Ah yes. To prevent that role from being fundamentally broken or abused, it could not actually be used during MYLO (mislynch or lose). If it could be used, then we would have an invincible psuedo-doctor who could quite easily save the right person and cause an extra Day Phase to occur (with the chances increasing as the players alive dwindle in size), which normally would spell disaster for the mafians in MYLO.

##UNVOTE: :p
Tyler, thanks for protecting me on that one night anyways.
I shouldn't have been so selfish though asking for help - I knew that MegaPod needed it more, and I should have spoke up about that.

Also, @Robin Aisaga , I did /not/ appreciate that. >:'v

Weren't you just going to steal that anyway? :rolleyes:

@Town you understimated my Pokémon knowledge! (...or my ability to look them up on the internet) I even watched the first Pokémon episodes starring Mr. Mime and Mime Jr. and it turned out that Mime Jr. says a lot of mime mime mime!

@Tapu Lele true, you could've claimed Zweilous btw

@Luispipe8 but it's not like I never did stupid things :p You pointed out my stupidest play, I didn't check who was in possesion of the Soul Dew the night before Drac. I made up the theory that scum was keeping it for themselves but then you pointed out that I had it before him! You really had me stressed there. If you or another town figured I was lying back then, you also would've noticed that I just named the entire scum team excluding me :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back