Discussion Does Oranguru Kill the Viability of Mill Decks?

dmode15

Aspiring Trainer
I have been running a sylveon variant that can both attack and mill depending on the matchup. I played against a couple of opponents who were playing Oranguru with resource management. Is there a way to deal with this or is this the end of mill decks for the foreseeable future?

Pengwin

Aspiring Trainer
Play a one of Professor Kukui so you can one shot Oranguru and then you're all set. :)

Otaku

The wise fool?
I have been running a sylveon variant that can both attack and mill depending on the matchup. I played against a couple of opponents who were playing Oranguru with resource management. Is there a way to deal with this or is this the end of mill decks for the foreseeable future?

If your opponent is trying to pull of the Oranguru/Looker combo (not just using Oranguru for recycling), anything that forces your opponent to shuffle his or her deck has at least a chance of breaking the cycle.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Sylveon is the least affected mill deck by Oranguru, mainly because you have the means to beat it. Heck, Sylveon should be playing a one-of Oranguru so it can get back absurd cards like Puzzles and whatever else you might need. Also, against opposing Oranguru, just use Profound Knowledge and see what happens next. Or just play the one Kukui.

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Hey @dmode15!

I've found that playing a 1 Ralts, 1 Rare Candy, 1 Gardevoir GX line can help against Oranguru as Gardevoir GX just needs three Fairy energy and one energy on the Oranguru to K.O. it (or 1 Fairy and 1 DCE). Gardevoir GX can also help in other matchups by providing a way to wall with 230 HP, be offensive (as mentioned above), or recycle resources with Twighlight GX. It is probably a little better than Prof. Kukui as it can be useful in other matchups (since Prof. Kukui is a little situational), but if you can't find room to fit in the three card combo of Gardevoir GX, than the one Prof. Kukui can also be used.

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12

dmode15

Aspiring Trainer
The problem I have with kokui is that I usually have to Guzma to get oranguru off the bench and that's my supporter for the turn. My thought on creating this thread is that typical mill decks like Wailord EX for example seem to be destroyed by oranguru. Unless there is another option for a non fighting mill deck that I can't think of.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
The problem I have with kokui is that I usually have to Guzma to get him off the bench and that's my supporter for the turn. My thought on creating this thread is that typical mill decks like Wailord EX for example seem to be destroyed by oranguru. Unless there is another option for a non fighting mill deck that I can't think of.
Durant is something that can beat Oranguru. Discarding 4+ cards means their Oranguru doesn't win the mill game. Plus the Oranguru player has to draw for their turn. It's one of many drops in the bucket.

dmode15

Aspiring Trainer
Hey @dmode15!

I've found that playing a 1 Ralts, 1 Rare Candy, 1 Gardevoir GX line can help against Oranguru as Gardevoir GX just needs three Fairy energy and one energy on the Oranguru to K.O. it (or 1 Fairy and 1 DCE). Gardevoir GX can also help in other matchups by providing a way to wall with 230 HP, be offensive (as mentioned above), or recycle resources with Twighlight GX. It is probably a little better than Prof. Kukui as it can be useful in other matchups (since Prof. Kukui is a little situational), but if you can't find room to fit in the three card combo of Gardevoir GX, than the one Prof. Kukui can also be used.

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12

I had that exact line in the April tournament but dropped it at the last minute. I started off great but then got smoked by a couple of stage two decks that recycle energy. Gardevoir would have come in very handy for those matchups.

Otaku

The wise fool?
The problem I have with kokui is that I usually have to Guzma to get oranguru off the bench and that's my supporter for the turn.

Huh? We're talking about Oranguru (SM - Ultra Prism 114/156) and its "Resource Management" attack, right? It can't use that unless it is Active. Or is someone having Mew copy it? Or did I just totally misunderstand the thread? ^^'

My thought on creating this thread is that typical mill decks like Wailord EX for example seem to be destroyed by oranguru. Unless there is another option for a non fighting mill deck that I can't think of.

I actually assumed you were talking about Durant (BW - Noble Victories 83/101) for mill; while most mill decks include control/disruption elements that allow them to stall, and while Wailord-EX decks still include a few cards that can mill the opponent's decks, I'd call Durant "Mill" but Wailord-EX "Stall". Even if we pull a Pokémon and "dual type" them, Durant would be Mill/Control while Wailord-EX is more Stall/Control. Not trying to lecture you, as most folks are going to see this and go "What's the difference?" XP I just wanted you to know where I'm coming from in case anyone else is like me. ;)

I was hoping that between Aqua Patch, Counter Energy, and Mallow that Avalugg (XY - Steam Siege 37/114) might finally work, but that hasn't happened yet. >.>

Otaku

The wise fool?
I appreciate the information. Still learning the verbiage.

Good on ya; the online community seemed to lose the desire to teach, learn, and test such terms about a decade ago. In some ways, that made it nicer for new players, because they didn't need to learn the terms. Except they did. Lots of stuff still used the terms, but there were no common definitions or uncommon definitions that made sense and improved communication (one of the two possible routes to becoming a common definition).

Just don't make my mistake and get uptight about it, and you'll be a better player for knowing how these words can and are used. ;)

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Kukui is the play against Oranguru. Lusamine's ability to recycle it means you will always have it available, and you will either stall your opponents out or kill Oranguru six times. Either one gets you the W.