Prerelease Kits To Be Sold in Stores: 'Build & Battle' Kits!

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
I'd still rather attend a pre-release if they interest me. The only store that sells their leftover pre-release boxes here changed their price to a full pre-release price so I decided to stop buying Pokemon product from them.

If these show up I expect some stores to be shady about it and do the same. As neat as it is - I would rather get the most out of this product for it's price.

(Also with this and the Basic Energy Box - it looks more to me like they're grasping at straws due to the terrible sales of Box Sets )

Mr. Mirek

Aspiring Trainer
Here's where this is a problem: The less a leader or store is incentivized to make money, the less Pokemon events there will be. Have fun with mini events at home I guess though. -_-

Yeah, I agree! I don't think this is a great move. This starts to remove the "joy" of prerelease events. As a consumer who enjoys supporting the store owners and the "professors" who run events, this move makes me quite sad.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
I guess the effect on Pre-releases depends on how solid you scene is now. The ones I go to are well attended and pretty much everyone plays. I wouldn't expect that to change. Even being 10 dollars less than the kit sold at Pre-release isn't going to deter me; I like to play against people OTHER than my immediate family. It just means I can get the promos I didn't get at the event a little sooner. Or not; it will be interesting to see what this does to the ebay prices for the promos. Other than that, I just see this as a way to bring more players into the game who might not know what Pre-releases are all about.

I wonder how long after release these will remain available? I know I've been forced to miss a Pre-release or two in the past and having this as an option is nice.

paulyd84

cooltrainerpaul
On a plus note though the pull rates for prerelease boxes are fairly insane.. So for the reseller and PSA monopolisers$$ :D$$​

Charizard=Life

Aspiring Trainer
This is interesting because (assuming they do this for SM7 as well) I am unable to attend the SM7 prerelease and it would be much easier to build a Charizard deck if one of the evolution packs included it like with Ultra Prism including Magnezone and Garchomp

Icrux

Aspiring Trainer
This is interesting. It can be good to people who want to save some money if they just really want to try their luck on the promos. However, the prerelease attendance will likely decline. Maybe the Pokemon Company researched and found out that they have a lot of excess kits so they are just doing this to get rid of them for profit?

Starsoulklr

'Rolling around at the speed of sound'
One of the reasons I am OK with this is that Pokemon booster packs and sets are not designed with draft in mind at all. These draft packs have to have lines of Pokemon and outside of set Trainer cards to even make a stable limited deck.

This could be a way to pick up and play a few games without buying the same two or three starters or your more fine-tuned deck.

I'm not really buying that making the promos easier to get will hurt them on the market as every one of those cards are based off of cards from the set.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
I'm all for this. I get a nice promo and 4 FBL packs for the same price as one of those Jumbo-GX boxes with the increasingly weird assortments of packs. I'll take this over those any day, and since I haven't been to a prerelease in over 2 years this is good news for me.
On a plus note though the pull rates for prerelease boxes are fairly insane.. So for the reseller and PSA monopolisers$$ :D$$​
It's possible, but who's to say they won't fix the rates in comparison to the actual pre-release boxes? I think that even though they'll be the same product essentially, this new line of product will lack the crazy pull rates pre-release boxes have.

Jake_Silberman

Competitive PTCG Player
I HATE this idea. Pre-releases are usually a big hitter for local stores, but thanks to TPCi, all LGSs will likely see a big decrease in pre-release attendance numbers.

But you know what? That's all I have in terms of complaints, but there's nothing positive about this that I can see. I guess the promos will be cheaper and more commonly available, but after pre-releases, the promos don't cost more than like $5 each anyway. Also, as someone who prefers to go lowest rarity with his decks, I have no interest in the pre-release promos in the first place. However, I care about my LGS, and after reading this article on this awful idea that will almost completely ruin the point of pre-releases, I'm concerned about the future of my stores and their pre-releases.

BENDsli

Aspiring Trainer
One of the reasons I am OK with this is that Pokemon booster packs and sets are not designed with draft in mind at all. These draft packs have to have lines of Pokemon and outside of set Trainer cards to even make a stable limited deck.

This could be a way to pick up and play a few games without buying the same two or three starters or your more fine-tuned deck.

I'm not really buying that making the promos easier to get will hurt them on the market as every one of those cards are based off of cards from the set.

The whole "My promos will drop in value" speech is a joke, my LGS has so many pre-release kits left over after the events that they sell for about $20 anyway, during the Burning Shadows pre-release and the store had Sun & Moon base kits still for sale

blueduckgolduck

Ace Trainer
Advanced Member
As a professor I think this idea sucks the value of prerelease promos will be diminished we will see less players at theblre release which means less people discoverering the league. It also upsets me that they put a cap on what they distribute to leagues to make us earn the right to have bigger events but then they go and put them on the shelves. How about before they do that they sell more to local game stores. Smh

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
Is there a source for this information tho?

Last edited:

doubleb036

Jolteon GX Hopeful
Advanced Member
I think this is okay as long as they continue to release these at the same time of the set release. If they begin to release these early, it will severely hurt attendance of pre-releases.

It seems nice to have an easier access at getting the alternate arts

fleshrum

Cephalophore
MtG has had these sorts of products for years. Social friendlies is a different experience from prerelease. More accessibility means more opponents and the cycle continues. No need for doomsaying.

And anyone mentioning the value of their collection needs to rethink their lives. It's a game. Not an investment. No true Scotsman has absolutely no place in this community. Stuff your vitriol.

KazamEsper

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think this will take a hit on the prereleases in my local stores. Many players i know, including me. Want to get the cards early. Because the value of the cards change the day of a set's release (Decrease, more like). Plus my local stores give out extra packs for participation and prizing. Basically, i would be getting more Forbidden Light booster packs than just the plain old 4 in the kits. Also, we get to use the promos in our decks and no "no more than 4 copies of a single card" limit (excluding Prism Star cards) And that is also why the pre-releases at my local stores won't take a hit.

Last edited: