Discussion Ultra prism out of stock/not being printed anymore?

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
So over last couple of days i keep hearing more and more rumors in this. The rumor being ultra prism is done printing and will not be printed anymore.

First i saw posts about preorders people had put in got canceled and money returned. Due to distributors claiming they wont be getting anymore in. (Again word of mouth not actually seen hard evidence)
Anyone know any truth behind this? And actually proof? Does this mean cryus wont be getting fixed physically?

torchictcg

Some-what advanced TCG Collector / Connoisseur
To my knowledge, I don't believe so. My local card store ran out of booster boxes on release day and are still getting in more orders from their distributor. They got a shipment on Monday and they are getting another on Friday. Since I don't live in all of the world, I can't say if this is true for other parts of the world, but in my area, my local shops are still getting product from their distributors.

Sheimeix

Aspiring Trainer
I can't imagine this being the case. I don't know how long sets typically get printed for, but a set that's as in-demand as ULP has been, I would imagine they want to continue printing it until the next set starts printing, or something takes over their printing lines. As the next set that would need to take over whole print lines proooooobably won't come out until May-ish, I can't see them ending the print cycle for ULP so fast.

That being said, it's made me curious about the statistics behind the card printing factories, IE how many cards are printed in 1 day of typical operations, when sets start and end print, etc...

Preorders were cancelled in Europe because of massive theft of a lot ULP products in transit to either the distributor(s) or stores. [Edit: Source] I've yet to hear any discussion of ULP being 'canceled' or otherwise have the release cut short outside of this.

Last edited:

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
My distributor has tons of stock of UPR right now (over 60 boxes). The only item out of stock relating to the set are Sleeved booster cases (the type of packs found at stores like Toys "R" Us and Target). They may just have excess stock before production of the set ended, but I can't confirm if that's the case

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
A possibility is that you were misinformed or misheard these rumors. The current PRINT RUN I believe is ending to correct Cyrus◇, but ending altogether after only a week or so is absurd.

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
yes, they are ending print runs for ultra prism, but just the booster boxes, ultra prism will continue to be printed in premium collections, GX boxes, etc. sleeved blisters will also continue to be sold and printed.

if you need proof here ya go
watch the video

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Not sure what to make of this. I still haven't got a box of it yet and I would like to get one since I don't care for the pull rates of things not in a booster box. Will make it really hard to get the cards you want this way.

jessalakasam

yes, they are ending print runs for ultra prism, but just the booster boxes, ultra prism will continue to be printed in premium collections, GX boxes, etc. sleeved blisters will also continue to be sold and printed.

watch the video
This is a lie. My distributor just prdered 90 boxes from TPCI

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
This is a lie. My distributor just prdered 90 boxes from TPCI
then how come most websites have upped the prices of the boxes by 10 dollars more than other boxes (20 more than the average crimson invasion)
my local game store is out of ultra prism boxes, but they have at least 5 of each other SM block set.
mabye your distributor is just unaware of this going on, I'm sure a lot of people are, and if you need MORE proof...
I know itś a video for 6yr-olds but at least it has the facts
How do you preder something?

jessalakasam

then how come most websites have upped the prices of the boxes by 10 dollars more than other boxes (20 more than the average crimson invasion)
my local game store is out of ultra prism boxes, but they have at least 5 of each other SM block set.
mabye your distributor is just unaware of this going on, I'm sure a lot of people are, and if you need MORE proof...
I know itś a video for 6yr-olds but at least it has the facts

How do you preder something?
You know what I meant. Also, the rumor created hype for the set and everyone's rushing to buy them. The price of my distributor's boxes went up only after the rumor began. Also, TPCI isn't stupid, they wouldn't stop printing this amazing set with in a week. This is just common sense

Stolemyname

Bling Addict
I am inclined to agree that the set cannot possibly be out of print. Providing YouTube videos as 'proof' is foolish and can't possibly be relied upon as fact. What we CAN use as guidance is TPCI's history and common sense.

Cutting off production of a set BEFORE it is even legal for tournament play is not only a bad idea, it's dangerous to their game as whole. You have no idea how in-demand cards will be until they are able to be played in a tournament setting, so stopping production that soon is a death sentence to the game. TPCI has NEVER stopped production this quickly in the history of their game, and are unlikely to stop now at the peak of their popularity. Staple cards like Cynthia are already $4 each and have even touched a tournament yet, could you imagine the price a year from now? Two years? More? Cards like VS Seeker at their peak were around $8 each, and that was considered absurd.

Rudy (Alpha Investments) is a valuable voice in the collectible TCG market and give a lot of insight into the inner-workings of the distributor level investing. That being said, he is also a YouTuber and has personal investment in how the market fluctuates. Creating hype around a set being out of print is clearly in his best interest as a mass-box opener, and therefore cannot be fully trusted as gospel. I am a big fan of his, but I also watch with healthy skepticism.

Lastly, the Cyrus mis-translation. The only reports we have is the SKU of only the booster boxes has been discontinued. This was announced immediately after the discovery of the mis-translated card. The fact that other products are going to continue to be printed could possibly mean they are trying to push these products more, but is more likely that the booster boxes with the corrected Cyrus will have a different SKU to differentiate the print runs. This also answers the question of why not everything will have a new SKU, as all the other products are packaged separately from the booster packs and then assembled afterward.

I sympathize with all the players who have to purchase these cards at insanely inflated prices just to play in upcoming tournaments because of misleading and potentially damaging information. However in the incredibly unlikely event this is true and this is the new approach TPCI is taking for print runs, prepare for a massive decline in the player base due to the unreasonable entry cost. You thought Tapu Lele at $40 was expensive? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Raksha

Resident Rare Hunter
I am inclined to agree that the set cannot possibly be out of print. Providing YouTube videos as 'proof' is foolish and can't possibly be relied upon as fact. What we CAN use as guidance is TPCI's history and common sense.

Cutting off production of a set BEFORE it is even legal for tournament play is not only a bad idea, it's dangerous to their game as whole. You have no idea how in-demand cards will be until they are able to be played in a tournament setting, so stopping production that soon is a death sentence to the game. TPCI has NEVER stopped production this quickly in the history of their game, and are unlikely to stop now at the peak of their popularity. Staple cards like Cynthia are already $4 each and have even touched a tournament yet, could you imagine the price a year from now? Two years? More? Cards like VS Seeker at their peak were around $8 each, and that was considered absurd.

Rudy (Alpha Investments) is a valuable voice in the collectible TCG market and give a lot of insight into the inner-workings of the distributor level investing. That being said, he is also a YouTuber and has personal investment in how the market fluctuates. Creating hype around a set being out of print is clearly in his best interest as a mass-box opener, and therefore cannot be fully trusted as gospel. I am a big fan of his, but I also watch with healthy skepticism.

Lastly, the Cyrus mis-translation. The only reports we have is the SKU of only the booster boxes has been discontinued. This was announced immediately after the discovery of the mis-translated card. The fact that other products are going to continue to be printed could possibly mean they are trying to push these products more, but is more likely that the booster boxes with the corrected Cyrus will have a different SKU to differentiate the print runs. This also answers the question of why not everything will have a new SKU, as all the other products are packaged separately from the booster packs and then assembled afterward.

I sympathize with all the players who have to purchase these cards at insanely inflated prices just to play in upcoming tournaments because of misleading and potentially damaging information. However in the incredibly unlikely event this is true and this is the new approach TPCI is taking for print runs, prepare for a massive decline in the player base due to the unreasonable entry cost. You thought Tapu Lele at $40 was expensive? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Pretty much agree with this, fear/hype driving prices will die down after the second wave hits, its only a question of "when"

torchictcg

Some-what advanced TCG Collector / Connoisseur

The reason the price has gone up is due the demand for the product. Ultra Prism is a highly wanted set, therefore many customers are wanting to purchase it. When more people want to buy something, the smart thing to do is raise prices and increase your profit margin. That's exactly what my local shops did. Their distributors didn't raise their prices but the shops did because they are constantly selling out of product meaning their is a high demand for it. This is how retail works.

The fact that you're getting all your info from "PokeTubers" means your sources are highly uncredible. This is why I don't follow any "PokeTubers" on Youtube. They all make stuff up for views. Views. Views. Views. Views. Remember that when you watch "Ultra Prism only printed 500 boxes! I have the LAST ONE!" The only YouTuber I subscribe to in the Pokémon community is smpratte. He is highly respected in the community and he knows exactly what he's talking about... and he still has not made an "Ultra Prism no longer in print" video, so...

KazamEsper

Aspiring Trainer

watch the video
When will the printing stop? Hopefully i can still get one on my birthday; which is March 1st.

KazamEsper

Aspiring Trainer
It was just like with the 2nd set of the lapis cluster in Force of Will. But that's the past. I really hope the distributors for my two local hobby shops will still have some left on the first 3 days of March. My birthday being the 1st. I really need to acquire a booster box. I need many cards from Ultra Prism

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
The reason the price has gone up is due the demand for the product. Ultra Prism is a highly wanted set, therefore many customers are wanting to purchase it. When more people want to buy something, the smart thing to do is raise prices and increase your profit margin. That's exactly what my local shops did. Their distributors didn't raise their prices but the shops did because they are constantly selling out of product meaning their is a high demand for it. This is how retail works.

The fact that you're getting all your info from "PokeTubers" means your sources are highly uncredible. This is why I don't follow any "PokeTubers" on Youtube. They all make stuff up for views. Views. Views. Views. Views. Remember that when you watch "Ultra Prism only printed 500 boxes! I have the LAST ONE!" The only YouTuber I subscribe to in the Pokémon community is smpratte. He is highly respected in the community and he knows exactly what he's talking about... and he still has not made an "Ultra Prism no longer in print" video, so...
yes, I am aware of demand and clickbait, but I find Alpha Investments as a reliable source.
pokemon messed up, by making the pull rates too good. Some friends and I purchase a booster case of each new set when it comes out, and what we got from ultra prism was much higher than any other set, and on top of that, they need to fix Cyrus, fixing both will take some time, I would expect till about February 20th. I´m not saying they will never continue to print ultra prism, it's just delayed

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
LIES! They're not completely putting out of print, just saying
"Hold up, let's change this Cyrus Prism Star out, blip bloppity boop, and resume."