Discussion Regionals Costa Mesa, Cali

Biogoji

Gotta respect what packs that kinda punch."
Hey Everyone,

So i just locked in my ticket to my state's regionals. This is my very first time attending one! Really excited and anxious, to be quite honest. I have a few questions for everyone.
  1. Do we get anything for attending, Any promos or goodies?
  2. Any advice for someone just getting into the competitive scene?
Thanks in advance :D

TheDeckWizard74

I got big beautiful eyes like this flareon
Hey Everyone,

So i just locked in my ticket to my state's regionals. This is my very first time attending one! Really excited and anxious, to be quite honest. I have a few questions for everyone.
Nice which regional is it? Goodies can depend on who hosts it but usually from my experience in previous years maybe a playmat, a clear die and a promo card.
My advice is that even when you are doing bad, keep your hopes up and keep moving forward, i have been bummed out plenty of times and because of that lost a round, at Georgia Regionals last year i started 0-3 and was really bummed but i toughed it out from there and went 3-3-1, i was using houndoom mill and faced a sneaky cheater round 1, an auto loss round 2 and a mirror match i was not prepared to face not to mention judges called me out because I had sleeves with an american flag on them which is illegal in pokemon(Its not illegal because they were american it was more that they were not blank or a pokemon design), while i had friends winning rounds i was 0-3 but i kept my head up and got half a booster box in prizes at 64th place. and i had to buy new sleeves before round 4

F4H_Jay

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
You should get a promo, usually a supporter. We got Gladion regional stamped cards for San Jose this past November. Depends on who is running it, and should get a playmat for sure.

Just have fun, take food and snacks, because rounds go fast in nbetween. And take money, the vendors always have cool stuff to buy.

TheDeckWizard74

I got big beautiful eyes like this flareon
You should get a promo, usually a supporter. We got Gladion regional stamped cards for San Jose this past November. Depends on who is running it, and should get a playmat for sure.

Just have fun, take food and snacks, because rounds go fast in nbetween. And take money, the vendors always have cool stuff to buy.
I completely forgot about the vendors, at Georgia Regionals they had japanese packs in one of the vendors, it was so fun opening japanese packs for the first time, i also had to get new sleeves at one of the vendors, 10 dollars for 80 sleeves, i had to do it though or else i would get DQ

lukas2aces

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Yes... and sometimes you'll get lucky. In London at the Internationals we got a playmat, a cap, a pin, 2x 65 sleeves, a deck box, a Ultra Ball promo and a competitor badge and lanyard.

F4H_Jay

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Yes... and sometimes you'll get lucky. In London at the Internationals we got a playmat, a cap, a pin, 2x 65 sleeves, a deck box, a Ultra Ball promo and a competitor badge and lanyard.
I think that's because it was a international. Think it was the same for NAIC last year. I went to worlds last year, got a lanyard but that was it. Was playing in the open, shooting for a worlds invite this year though. :D

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Do people spectate the Regionals? Costa Mesa is a reasonable distance away from me. Spectating Worlds was fun, but I don't know what the Regionals are like.

Number51x

Bump.

Would like to go, but don't want to waste my time driving up if it isn't really spectator friendly. Tried asking the organizer, but messages went unanswered.

Biogoji

Gotta respect what packs that kinda punch."
Bump.

Would like to go, but don't want to waste my time driving up if it isn't really spectator friendly. Tried asking the organizer, but messages went unanswered.

I tried and have similar results...weird.

LifePartTwo

Aspiring Trainer
Bring food and water. You need to stay hydrated and snack in between rounds. And make sure to get good sleep for the days leading up to the event. If you are lacking in hydration, calories or sleep your mental sharpness will degrade throughout the day which will lead to misplays that might cost you a match. The tournament is only as you make it out to be.

thom ye

Aspiring Trainer
I tried and have similar results...weird.

There usually isn't much you can do regarding "spectating". All spectators are usually kept away from the players tables.
as stated, there are vendor tables. and there are typically side events that you can participate in.
but I wouldn't recommend driving a long distance just to spectate.

thom ye

Aspiring Trainer
Hey Everyone,

regarding that competitive scene. Use this as a learning experience and have FUN.
at this time.... don't fixate on all the various decks out there. Choose 1 or 2 decks that you are thinking about playing.
and learn to play that particular deck as well as you can. know there cards, strategy, and nuance of matchups.

and remember. the format is expanded... so there's a lot more decks and options that are available.

Number51x

There usually isn't much you can do regarding "spectating". All spectators are usually kept away from the players tables.
as stated, there are vendor tables. and there are typically side events that you can participate in.
but I wouldn't recommend driving a long distance just to spectate.

Even at Worlds, you could watch matches that were happening along the side of each area. And then there was the big table for streams which seemed to be a thing at the last couple of regional events, but I don't know if they are commentated and up on a big screen like Worlds was. If they have all that stuff, then that would do for spectating just fine.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Even at Worlds, you could watch matches that were happening along the side of each area. And then there was the big table for streams which seemed to be a thing at the last couple of regional events, but I don't know if they are commentated and up on a big screen like Worlds was. If they have all that stuff, then that would do for spectating just fine.
I doubt Coasta Mesa will have any of that based on San Jose (which did not stream any matches and disallowed people from standing at the edge of the play area to watch games) since both regionals should be run by the same people to my understanding

tiffuts

Porygon Enthusiast
I have a question related to this regionals but didn't want to wast time starting a new thread.

Can you compete in side events without registering for the main event?

My work is lame and I could only get the sunday off but since I live so close I still want to check it out.

Thanks!

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Side events are completely separate from the main event. You don't have to be apart of the main event to enter them