Help What pokemon cards are good in expanded format?

Volkner123

Better Pokemon trainer than Ash will ever be
I want to go to the Dallas regional tournament but it is going to be in the expanded format. I prefer to use the Standard format. although I have some cards I think would work but I don't really know. And also can I use cards that can be used in Standard format?

Toxic

TCG Player and Old Deck Collector
All cards that are legal in the Standard format are legal in Expanded. So yes you can use your Standard deck in the tournament, but in some cases you will be at a disadvantage without access to the Expanded cards. Check out expanded tournament results to see what kind of decks are popular in the format.

Volkner123

Also I don't have a lot of good old cards.....Probably some of my best cards are Gorgeist from XY base set, I think, and that might be it. I think my brother stole all of my good cards a few years ago.

supermattdab0ss

Sylveon is da b0ss
Don't go. Get x4 Vs. Seeker, and you might have a chance. Expanded is BW - Current set. The metagame revolves around quick turbo engine decks with cards like Vs. Seeker and other fast consistency items like trainers mail. Look up Night march, if you are going I would take that deck. How many Leles do you have? if the answer is 0 reconsider heading to a regional tournament.

Volkner123

I don't have any of those.....I kind of wish the Dallas regional tournament is Standard format

Volkner123

In standard I'm using a Psychic/Steel deck with Dhelmise, Garbodor, Toxapex GX, and Magerna EX

Volkner123

And for supporters I have Misty's determination and Hau and several others
one stadium card which is Alter of the Sunne

Toxic

TCG Player and Old Deck Collector
Another thing to consider is that these tournaments have entry fees upwards of $40 to participate in. If I was in your shoes I would take that money and instead use it towards strengthening your deck. Now I'm not saying to just netdeck the top tier decks and call it a day. But at the very least you should have the staple trainers that go into every deck. Professor Sycamore, N, Brigette, Guzma, Ultra Ball, Field Blower, Rescue Stretcher, etc. And in the case of Expanded you will want VS Seekers. Go onto the Pokemon website and look at past tournament results to see what a strong trainer lineup looks like.

Then, in the meantime, you can use the Pokemon Event Locator to find local card shops near you that host Pokemon events. Start out small. Find a league to play in and work your way up from there.

Event Locator: https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/find-an-event/

Volkner123

Yeah. I do have an N card in my deck, some ultra balls in my collection. I don't often get Pokemon cards because I don't have an allowance and when I do get cards it is for my Birthday or Christmas or when I mow my Grandparents lawn.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
I don't have any of those.....I kind of wish the Dallas regional tournament is Standard format
I'll be straight honest. Based off your description of your deck you don't have a competitive deck for Standard format either (namely the odd Pokemon combination and the lack of powerful staples for standard format). Regardless of the format, if you are going to tournaments you should go to enjoy yourself and not expect to win.

Also regionals are expensive. Entry fee alone is around $50 and they are all day affairs so you have to budget for food and drink (and this is if you aren't traveling out of town and aren't paying for transportation or a hotel). If you can't afford to get the staple core of trainers and supporters (which aren't expensive) then you probably can't make it out to a regional.

Volkner123

Ok with that my standard deck is Lycanrock Gx (Midday form) and Garchomp from fates collide I think. I've one a few battles with it. But of course with Christmas around the corner I'm probably gonna remake my deck. And I live like thirty minutes from where it will be held. I just don't buy enough Pokemon cards to have all of the best cards.

FlashRayquaza

Rayquaza Fan
You don't have to buy more and more packs that won't help. Get the earlier mentioned staples and then save money for Tapu-Lele GX (its around 45-55). And after that you can focus on a specific deck like Drampa/Garbodor. I would not recommend you to participate in this tournament. Because it's a waste of money and time. Please, first get a standart Deck, then train at League Challenge/Cup and then maybe go to regionals. I am sure that the players in a League will help you building a deck.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
You don’t NEED Leles in every Expanded deck. Trevenant uses Jirachi EX. Night March uses 1. You could get away with 0. Sableye-Garb uses 0 Lele (don’t go with this deck 1 month before regionals).

You could sub in Shaymin EX as long as you built your deck a certain way.

You can build with a budget for competitive expanded. But then comes the price of what Ace Spec you’re shooting for. And that could either put you out $10 to $45.

I’m not going to say it’s impossible at this point. But if you’re really shooting for this. Go to the Facebook group Heyfonte and really get your head in the weeds. It’s going to be a bit uphill as far as the learning curve goes. You CAN build a budget deck with about $75 if you’re buying a whole deck from scratch.

If you’re in Texas, there’s an Expanded League cup a week before the regional to see if you really want to do this (not sure if seating would be sold out by then).

I might be able to help out. But again, if this is your first expanded foray, it’s going to be rough. You’re definitely going to need PTCGO for testing.

supermattdab0ss

Sylveon is da b0ss
You don’t NEED Leles in every Expanded deck. Trevenant uses Jirachi EX. Night March uses 1. You could get away with 0. Sableye-Garb uses 0 Lele (don’t go with this deck 1 month before regionals).

You could sub in Shaymin EX as long as you built your deck a certain way.

You can build with a budget for competitive expanded. But then comes the price of what Ace Spec you’re shooting for. And that could either put you out $10 to $45.

I’m not going to say it’s impossible at this point. But if you’re really shooting for this. Go to the Facebook group Heyfonte and really get your head in the weeds. It’s going to be a bit uphill as far as the learning curve goes. You CAN build a budget deck with about $75 if you’re buying a whole deck from scratch.

If you’re in Texas, there’s an Expanded League cup a week before the regional to see if you really want to do this (not sure if seating would be sold out by then).

I might be able to help out. But again, if this is your first expanded foray, it’s going to be rough. You’re definitely going to need PTCGO for testing.
For budget Ace Specs go with a dowsing machine. If you can get a computer search, but they are a lot of money.