News Japan's December Sets: 'Ultra Sun' and 'Ultra Moon!'

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
With that low HP, there really is no excuse for this thing to not have free retreat. Don't know what they were thinking with this. It makes sense from an in-game lore perspective for Dugtrio to have craptastic HP, since it has the lowest HP of anything fully evolved that actually USES the standard stat formula. (Which Shedinja does not.) But still, that kinda sucks.

TatsuyaOrimuta

Aspiring Trainer
This is kinda cool, it'd be better if it was water type or if dragon actually hit anything for weakness in standard but it's still kinda cool

Grear Bylls

Aspiring Trainer
The first attack is fine. It works if your opponent can't get the KO. Hydro Pressure can get pretty strong. 2 shots early game, one shots late game, if you're lucky. Not bad. GX attack though. Whoooo! Guzma up a Tapu Lele, OHKO with Choice Band and get rid of all Energy on the field. I see this being good. Not game breaking, but useful

elFacho

Aspiring Trainer
That GX attack is really cool against Raichu GX and Gardevoir GX. The cost can be a bit of a problem since Water energy boosting isn't as good as it used to be (Yes, I know we still have things like Palkia EX, GRI Rayquaza, Max. Elixir and Aqua Patch, but if we compare it to Steel type boosting, water types are a bit weaker than Steel types in that regard.)

Sword.N

Aspiring Trainer
Maybe the card can find its place in Archie/Blastoise decks for its fairy weakness instead of grass.The GX attack is cool but also expensive.

TatsuyaOrimuta

Aspiring Trainer
(Yes, I know we still have things like Palkia EX, GRI Rayquaza, Max. Elixir and Aqua Patch, but if we compare it to Steel type boosting, water types are a bit weaker than Steel types in that regard.)
Not really Aqua Patch since Palkia GX is dragon, but I agree it is really expensive

SmiteKnight

Destroying half the universe one snap at a time
Its not even a metal type or attacks for metal energy and yet it still messes with gardy.

Dar Ksereth

Aspiring Trainer
Its not even a metal type or attacks for metal energy and yet it still messes with gardy.
messes with anything really, not much is gonna be attacking for one energy next turn, hell in fact i'd say gardy's one of the few that cares the least about it, you'd end up with 5 energy on you, they literally have to draw 1 fairy (and they have many in the deck now) and it's an OHKO.

speaking of, since attack effects apply before checking for KO's, would the energy on whatever is active also be shuffled?

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
Could see it in expanded with Archie, but it's definitely not viable in standard. It kind of takes advantage of aqua patch in that you can patch benched water types then use the first attack to move water energy to it, but that's frankly too slow for a pokemon with 180 HP these days, you can't really rely on it lasting more than a turn.

The GX attack isn't nearly as good as it would have been a few expansions ago when turbo dark was winning everything. Most good decks these days don't bloat their field with energy if they can help it due to Lele being everywhere. Any utility this would have against Garde is negated by fairy weakness.

Garde will OHKO any Palkia that has enough energy to use the GX attack with one attachment anyways.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
  • Palkia-GX - Hahahaha!! @jessalakasam I am always right. The Basics! Dragon-type weak to Broski, accesible to Heavy Ball. The attack 1 is clutchy on the Hydro Pump (BTW, Hydro Pump is the attack name not Hydro whatever), the GX attack is so frikingly amazing. Yeah, 5 Energy is expensive, but 5 Energy can deal 160 on Hydro Pump, not bad. For now, we don't have good Water Support. Aqua Patch won't help because it isn't a Water-type, but Max Elixir can or Silvally-GX, in addition for giving Palkia the ability to float (Free Retreat), can. Water-type wasn't get too much popularity ATM, but as long we have a good Water Deck and a Water Support, Palkia deserves 4 Geodudes. I forgot it can deal up to 200 for 5, with Choice Band and Devoured Field. It can OHKO most Stage 1 GXs.

Higginjoe

Aspiring Trainer
messes with anything really, not much is gonna be attacking for one energy next turn, hell in fact i'd say gardy's one of the few that cares the least about it, you'd end up with 5 energy on you, they literally have to draw 1 fairy (and they have many in the deck now) and it's an OHKO.

speaking of, since attack effects apply before checking for KO's, would the energy on whatever is active also be shuffled?

Yes, Palkia GX's effect would put the soon-to-be-discarded Active's Energy back into the deck.