Help Golisopod-GX counter in Ninetales

Neurowolf

Biology extraordinaire!
Hey everyone! So I attended my first League Cup yesterday and ended up placing 4th with my Ninetales-GX list! As big of an accomplishment that is, the same Golisopod-GX player beat me twice in the actual cup and the semifinals. I had no problems with the mirror, garde, and Golisopod Garbador, but for some strange reason I had some trouble with his list that only played Golisopod-GX as the main attacker along with one baby Golisopod and a Koko promo. Does anyone have any suggestions for techs against Goli in a Ninetales-GX list? Thanks, I don't want to be robbed of 1st place again! I'll come back and post my list when I get to my computer!

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Since Golisopod usually runs Garbodor, Alolan Ninetales won't help you here.

Glaceon EX is your best bet for tanking, but at the same time that deck is very switch heavy with Guzma, which will negate Crystal Ray.

Between the two, Glaceon EX is your best bet, I think.

Lastly, you can consider Tapu Koko + Flying Flip, Ice Blade a couple of them, then Espeon EX devolve for the KO, but Golisopod decks usually run 2-3 Acerola, so they're just going to scoop the damage.

It's a very hard match up that mostly comes down to luck, in my opinion.

Neurowolf

Biology extraordinaire!
Since Golisopod usually runs Garbodor, Alolan Ninetales won't help you here.

Glaceon EX is your best bet for tanking, but at the same time that deck is very switch heavy with Guzma, which will negate Crystal Ray.

Between the two, Glaceon EX is your best bet, I think.

Lastly, you can consider Tapu Koko + Flying Flip, Ice Blade a couple of them, then Espeon EX devolve for the KO, but Golisopod decks usually run 2-3 Acerola, so they're just going to scoop the damage.

It's a very hard match up that mostly comes down to luck, in my opinion.
I already run Glaceon-EX, hence why I didn't experience total defeat. :p

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, that's a rough matchup. I'm surprised he ran Golisopod without Garbodor or any prominent back-up support/attackers. When we still had access to VS Seeker, I used to run one Professor Kukui so Ninetales could hit 210 with a Choice Band. I feel like it might be worth it to throw in 2 Kukui so you're able to hit that 210 mark because Golisopod is something you need to OHKO, otherwise they'll just use Acerola and give you a never ending headache. That 210 also lets you KO other things too like Espeon so it's not like it'd be a waste of space. Maybe something to try out!

Neurowolf

Biology extraordinaire!
Yeah, that's a rough matchup. I'm surprised he ran Golisopod without Garbodor or any prominent back-up support/attackers. When we still had access to VS Seeker, I used to run one Professor Kukui so Ninetales could hit 210 with a Choice Band. I feel like it might be worth it to throw in 2 Kukui so you're able to hit that 210 mark because Golisopod is something you need to OHKO, otherwise they'll just use Acerola and give you a never ending headache. That 210 also lets you KO other things too like Espeon so it's not like it'd be a waste of space. Maybe something to try out!
Yeah, increasing 1 kukui to 2 might shake it up enough to let me get from 3 prize cards to one. I like how you used headache, it truly is one. Thanks!

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023

I've been on a constant back & forth between Kukui and Tapu Koko honestly, but I personally prefer Tapu Koko to gap close.

With Kukui you need 1 Kukui per KO. With Tapu Koko, you just need 1 flying flip to set every Wimpod on the bench in OHKO range. This also applies to things like the Tapu Bulu/Gardevoir match up. If you just Flying Flip during your set up phase, you're set to OHKO Gardevoirs later in the game, or at the very least force your opponent to Acerola or play recovery instead of play set up. Even if your opponent Acerolas 1 or 2, you just KO the one remaining, then flying flip again when they set up again.

I personally see Tapu Lele GX, Tapu Koko, and Octillery/Zoroark GX as the staple Pokemon of the meta right now. Nearly all decks benefit from these, and most decks can generate a strategy from them to strengthen their bad match ups.

Neurowolf

Biology extraordinaire!
I've been on a constant back & forth between Kukui and Tapu Koko honestly, but I personally prefer Tapu Koko to gap close.

With Kukui you need 1 Kukui per KO. With Tapu Koko, you just need 1 flying flip to set every Wimpod on the bench in OHKO range. This also applies to things like the Tapu Bulu/Gardevoir match up. If you just Flying Flip during your set up phase, you're set to OHKO Gardevoirs later in the game, or at the very least force your opponent to Acerola or play recovery instead of play set up. Even if your opponent Acerolas 1 or 2, you just KO the one remaining, then flying flip again when they set up again.

I personally see Tapu Lele GX, Tapu Koko, and Octillery/Zoroark GX as the staple Pokemon of the meta right now. Nearly all decks benefit from these, and most decks can generate a strategy from them to strengthen their bad match ups.
I play 1 koko anyway. Plus with Kukui you get to deal 210 damage in one turn avoiding their Acerola.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
I play 1 koko anyway. Plus with Kukui you get to deal 210 damage in one turn avoiding their Acerola.

Playing Kukui on your turn is not as optimal as, say, a Sycamore for 7 cards instead of 2 or a Guzma to pick a better target.

It's all personal preference. I just think that using a flying flip while people are still stuck in the set up phase, both you and your opponent, is never a turn wasted (depending on your deck). Forcing your opponent to prioritize Acerola isn't a bad thing either for the same reason why playing Kukui for turn isn't always optimal. If they're stuck with a dead hand and play Acerola, they survive one turn but have no outs for the upcoming turns. Their situation doesn't change.

It's all up to situation and playstyle, but if you're looking for suggestions I could scrap Kukui completely and focus the deck space elsewhere.

Connor Ritter

TCG Player
Advanced Member
As someone who plays Golisopod, I find baby A-Ninetales is a good counter. It's not an auto-win, but it will force them to find a solution while you strengthen your Ninetales GX. Golisopod can't OHKO Ninetales GX so making good use of Ice Path GX puts them in a more difficult situation as well.

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
The way i see it, bench as few as you can. Get Baby Ninetails out and Glaceon-Ex. I think you can stall Gollispod Gx with Glaceon. The thing is if you put too many prizes on your bench you will end up loosing to Lysandre or Guzma but if you only get few pokemons out you will be able to stall and win that way. If he has Tapu Lele, thats another thing and you can probably forget about what i just said. I am not too familiar with Gollispod Gx deck and the Lele count.

With the deck i am playing, i will be including Entei (the ancient trait one) with Counter Energy (coming out soon) to deal with Gollispod. OHKO that mofo for the win. And btw i will be including that new Shining Mew so i can attach those special energies and let him have my Mew in exchange for the upcoming Entei OHKO.

uncleyuri

~
Baby Nnetales helps you stall a bit but I've been seeing oranguru in Golisopod which ohkos a powered up baby. I'd focus on just hitting hard as early as possible. You should eventually be able to Ice Path for at least 120.