Discussion Legacy Tier List & Discussion Thread

Mora

Don't Panic
I've been playing a lot in the Legacy format recently on PTCGO and thought I'd map out a tier list based off what I saw others playing. This is what I've got after 50 matches. Tier 1 is greater than 10% of what I encountered, Tier 2 is greater than 5%, Tier 3 is I saw a deck once, maybe twice.

Tier 1:
Weevile Exeggcute
Plasma Variants
Tier 2:
RayEels
Genesect Variants
Landorus / Mewtwo / Garbodor
Empoleon Variants
Accelgor / Flygon
Typhlosion / Reshiram
Garchomp / Altaria
Tier 3:
Truth Variants (Vileplume / Garbodor)
Blastoise / Keldeo EX
Tooldrop
Durant
Darkrai Variants
Scizor Prime Variants
Seismitoad / Melloetta EX
Donphan Prime / Landorus EX
Amoongus? (This was like one deck I encountered. Probably shouldn't even include it. Whatever.)​

I feel like because this isn't really a competitive format, a lot of people just play whatever, meaning the tier list isn't a good measure of what's best in the format. Tier 1 right now is Weevile and Plasma, even though I feel like they don't have superior matchups across the board and just about any deck can play Silver Mirror and probably have average chances against them. I was also surprised I didn't see any more Genesect, and the Truth feels like it's Tier 2 quality, but I don't know. I think I'll continue to update this the more I play, but this is a good place to start.

Last edited:
Flygon and Genesect are both tier 1. Your list doesn't include Ninetales/Amoonguss, which is tier 2.

Yeah, like I said, I definitely agree that Flygon and Genesect are really good, but I'm going off of what I see, and maybe it's my sample size, but I haven't seen enough of those to put them in tier 1. It could also be that the stuff to build them is the right combination of old, rare, and expensive. I tried to explain that a little bit in the OP, but I posted it before I was finished on accident, and just edited it, so I don't know if you got a chance to see that.

I also agree with Genesext and Flygon in Tier 1. I play a mean Flygon/Dusknoir list and I rarely lose any legacy tourneys :p I do think the reason you aren't seeing many is because Flygon decks need at least 3 Tropical Beaches.
I have actually never faced a Scizor prime deck, maybe once. I'd probably place Empoleon and Lando/Garb in Tier 1 as well.

There has been a "kind of" rogue deck going around now (recently popularized) that includes UND Plume / Snorlax (block) / Genesect EX / Other walls like Latias EX, Suicune. This deck is aimed to deck the opponent out by trapping things active by using red signal and Hugh.

I also agree with Genesext and Flygon in Tier 1. I play a mean Flygon/Dusknoir list and I rarely lose any legacy tourneys :p I do think the reason you aren't seeing many is because Flygon decks need at least 3 Tropical Beaches.
I have actually never faced a Scizor prime deck, maybe once. I'd probably place Empoleon and Lando/Garb in Tier 1 as well.

There has been a "kind of" rogue deck going around now (recently popularized) that includes UND Plume / Snorlax (block) / Genesect EX / Other walls like Latias EX, Suicune. This deck is aimed to deck the opponent out by trapping things active by using red signal and Hugh.

Yeah I played against Scizor twice, and I beat it pretty easily both times. Didn't think it was too great, but apparently that was a thing that someone played. I'll probably wind up dropping it once I play more matches in Legacy and it falls to like <1%. Some things are up there that probably shouldn't be only because the sample size is so small.

I personally like Empoleon a lot and play it regularly. It's super consistent and trades well, but pretty much looses against Accelgor Flygon. I think I've only won game, and it was because I got set up first and could KO stuff on the Bench with Dusknoir and made my opponent miss Deck and Cover. But I really haven't seen it that often either.

Landorus Garbodor seems like it would have solid matchups against pretty much everything, as a lot of decks in Legacy are Ability dependent.

You'd think so, but in a format with Junk Arm and Tool Scrapper, the lock doesn't stick as long as you would think, not to mention that two of the most OP powers in Legacy--Portrait and Forest Breath--are unaffected by Garbodor.

Back