TCG Fakes Jabberwock's Image Fakes: Plasma Garchomp!

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Found some of @BigfootAUS's old art and decided it was worth giving Flare blanks another shot. Thoughts on how this turned out? :)

mewtwo_flare_by_jabberwock314-db23g48.png

Thanks to @aschefield101 for the original blank, @BigfootAUS for the art, and @PikaMasterJesi for the spoiler. ^.^

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Enter Jabber's Second Try at GXs™, now with 100% more rainbow!

Found a super cool Cryogonal render on dA, by the artist Arrancon. Decided it had to be used, and opted to go with a Hyper Rare GX because I need practice with SM-era faking. :p

cryogonal_gx__hyper_rare__by_jabberwock314-dbdg7fs.png

TY to @aschefield101 for the blank + resources, and the PB Creative Works Discord server for general feedback while this was in production. ^.^

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
Enter Jabber's Second Try at GXs™, now with 100% more rainbow!

Found a super cool Cryogonal render on dA, by the artist Arrancon. Decided it had to be used, and opted to go with a Hyper Rare GX because I need practice with SM-era faking. :p

cryogonal_gx__hyper_rare__by_jabberwock314-dbdg7fs.png

TY to @aschefield101 for the blank + resources, and the PB Creative Works Discord server for general feedback while this was in production. ^.^
The GX attack can definitely be redone. Noivern GX hits 50 everywhere with no drawback.

WastedSkyPirate

Gorgeous card @Jabberwock

The art is perfect for a Full Art and/or Rainbow Rare and what an amazing job of making it all rainbowy! The Ability and attacks are believable too; I especially like the synergy between Crystal Refraction, Glaciate GX and Aqua Patch. I'm undecided on the power level though - for the most part, it seems balanced, but I can see it being very easy to hit DCE + Aqua Patch/Max Elixir + Crystal Refraction to start swinging for 100 (or 130 with Choice Band) on your first turn. This doesn't quite fit with TPCi's recent attempts to slow the game down and promote evolutions. Perhaps a cost of [W][W][C] would be more appropriate for Razor Edge?

On the aesthetics, I've got a couple of teeny-tiny snags;
  1. The holosheet for GX cards should poke through the 'GX' emblem in the Pokémon's name (reference one and reference two).
  2. The texture on the background is hard to see, which is a pity as one of the most attractive features of the Rainbow Rare cards is the unique background textures (Rainbow Rare Sylveon-GX even has little love hearts)!
  3. Something doesn't feel quite right with horizontal placements of the Ability and attack text. At first I thought the Ability should be a bit higher up the card with a touch more space between the Ability and the attacks, however, I think I've sussed it - have you moved the blue GX bar up so you can fit in 4 lines of text between the GX bar and the footer? The GX cards seem to be designed to only allow a GX attack of 3 lines of text (which is a bit frustrating as it limits creativity) and no card has broken with this "rule" yet.
Anyway, overall, this is a wicked card and I'd love to build a deck around it. TPCi, are you watching?

Last edited:

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I'm undecided on the power level though - for the most part, it seems balanced, but I can see it being very easy to hit DCE + Aqua Patch/Max Elixir + Crystal Refraction to start swinging for 100 (or 130 with Choice Band) on your first turn. This doesn't quite fit with TPCi's recent attempts to slow the game down and promote evolutions. Perhaps a cost of [W][W][C] would be more appropriate for Razor Edge?
Ooh yeah, good idea! Gonna try out a couple of things and decide on what works.

On the aesthetics, I've got a couple of teeny-tiny snags;
  1. The holosheet for GX cards should poke through the 'GX' emblem in the Pokémon's name (reference one and reference two).
  2. The texture on the background is hard to see, which is a pity as one of the most attractive features of the Rainbow Rare cards is the unique background textures (Rainbow Rare Sylveon-GX even has little love hearts)!
  3. Something doesn't feel quite right with horizontal placements of the Ability and attack text. At first I thought the Ability should be a bit higher up the card with a touch more space between the Ability and the attacks, however, I think I've sussed it - have you moved the blue GX bar up so you can fit in 4 lines of text between the GX bar and the footer? The GX cards seem to be designed to only allow a GX attack of 3 lines of text (which is a bit frustrating as it limits creativity) and no card has broken with this "rule" yet.
Was not actually aware of any of this! Dx I was working off a copy of the HR Lunala-GX as my sole reference, which doesn't actually have a whole lot in the way of background effects. TY for bringing all that to my attention; I'll fix it up straightaway. :)

And thanks for the kind words! ^.^

WastedSkyPirate

You're welcome @Jabberwock - I really love the card.

Thinking a bit more about it, I recommend using Gumshoos-GX as your reference for text placements. It's perfect because, like your Cryogonal-GX, it has;

A) an Ability with 2 lines of text
B) an attack with no effect
C) a wordy GX attack (that they've managed to cram into 3 lines).

I'd overlay it and see how things align :)

EDIT:

I've noticed one more (minor) thing. It looks to me as though the name of the Ability and the attacks don't quite align. 'Razor Edge' seems to be a couple of pixels too far to the left (or Crystal Refraction and Glaciate GX are a couple of pixels too far to the right)!

Last edited:

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Man oh man, it's been ages. What a way to necro my own thread. Dx

This is a thing I made because I was bored and didn't really feel like doing the homework I should've been doing. @aschefield101 recently ripped a new Cracked Ice holofoil from PTCGO and I wanted to see what I could do with it. Ofc there are actually three holosheets on this card –– Cracked Ice, Sunlava, and Galaxy. inb4 asche comes by to inform me of how stupidly thick the card would be irl

sparkly_ho_oh_by_jabberwock314-dcmxfy3.png

Art from an official wallpaper from the HGSS era; virtually everything else by asche. Ty asche! :p

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Found this artwork whilst looking for booster pack wallpapers yesterday, and thought it'd make a cool Southern Islands-style miniset. Thanks to @bbninjas for suggesting the DPPt-era blanks; it probably wouldn't have been my first instinct for a miniset of Gen 3 Pokémon, but I think it works really well here. :D

Ik the numbering is weird; back then they did set lists first by rarity and then in alphabetical order. I just did it in Pokédex order, save for the secret rare, because I forgot how numbering used to work and by the time I remembered I didn't feel up to going back and fixing them all.

So here they are!

dczu6gf-95cd6eb1-0b9f-4237-9a6a-3cf8ad82f2e8.png
dczu6xh-12697200-7e52-4b96-bb8f-f25f80c71b9a.png
dczu71p-8846d2af-33f4-498e-b809-cb29b1cc771a.png
dczu755-e8ff5ff5-cc4a-4c4a-9dcd-2e1b64847507.png
dczu792-5124f332-a3b6-459f-ae6d-eca231453da7.png
dczu7cg-314a17e5-3854-44d9-a5b6-f3d29bc7553f.png
dczu7fs-762ace71-7bdf-4462-92f1-964415277f5f.png
dczu7ii-484586fe-6ed0-4111-aaf4-be71823c76e0.png

Thanks to @AwesomeEevee for the blanks and resources, and @aschefield101 for the holosheet! ^.^

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Oh wow, they all came out really well -- and especially that Altaria! I really like how you incorporated the Bagon in with the Salamance art, and then used that to inspire the Flying Lessons attack.

I totally suggested DPPt-era because the Pokemon were all Gen 3. Yup, that was my thought process exactly. :D

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Love this era. 2013-14 specifically, the Plasma era; not for faking, but it was a highlight of an otherwise unfortunately generic basic-dominated format. It's a weird era, though, in that there aren't too many resources for it floating around in the community. Shame, that. I found this art (from the Garchomp ULP theme deck) and thought that with a bit of modification it'd be brilliant on a Plasma card –– so then I had a lot of blank editing to do.

I'm not totally sure yet what I'll do with the Plasma blank stuff –– I'd love to make a miniset or even a full set, but I just don't really have the time these days. We'll see what comes of it. So this one's got a generic set symbol and number, which I might go back and retcon if I end up doing anything with the blanks in future.

Credit for the original blank, of course, as always, to @aschefield101. Most of the resources are his, too (including the left one's holosheet, which dates back to 2011 Dx). The other holosheet, the refractor foil for the reverse holo on the right, is by @Nekoban Ryo.

The original art is from one of the Ultra Prism theme decks, though I've edited it a lot to make it look more like a Plasma Pokémon.

Blank modifications are also by me, including the damn shield thing.

garchomp__plasma__by_jabberwock314_dd21zw0-pre.png

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Oh wow, this looks amazing and completely real! The second version without the BW 'lines' holo is superior imo because you can see the background properly.

You should totally release updated blanks for the BW plasma-era with Asche's blessing, now that you've created the shield! ;) The old stuff is properly old haha.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Oh wow, this looks amazing and completely real! The second version without the BW 'lines' holo is superior imo because you can see the background properly.
Oh ha, I actually prefer the holo one –– I think it seems more "Plasma" or at least really gives off the vibe of being from that era. That's why I did both of them, though. :p

You should totally release updated blanks for the BW plasma-era with Asche's blessing, now that you've created the shield! ;) The old stuff is properly old haha.
I'll probably have time to do this someday, but it's just not in the cards rn. :/

Someday, though! Someday. In the meantime, if any of y'all wanna talk blank mods for Plasma, hmu. ^.^

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Luxray.png
Vibrava.png
Aegislash.png
Dratini.png
Dragonite.png
Arceus.png

So, some of y'all might remember this project of mine from FOREVER ago –– a 50-card miniset using asche's Winchfall blanks. Apparently when I stopped updating it, I was only six cards from finishing it, so bb's been poking me for a little while to get the last few cards done so they can be added to his new Lackey project. And at long last! Here it is.

Blanks are @aschefield101's, of course –– ta asche!

Also, I believe the spoilers for Luxray, Aegislash, and Dragonite are by @thegrovylekid, though that was quite a while ago. I'm 90% sure she also did the initial spoiler for Arceus, but that I modified it in some way. Unfortunately it's been too long and I don't remember. Dx

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
happy_birthday__neko__by_jabberwock314_dd6c7f4-pre.png

@Nekoban Ryo's birthday is tomorrow! :D

Was inspired to make these when I was sorting through Neko's dA gallery for top-secret official reasons having to do with bb's Lackey project, and later found the large image of Dunsparce I used for the LV.X. Quite pleased with 'em. Hope Neko is too. :p

The trainer icon in the lower-right of the art frame on both cards is his OC, used with permission. The blanks and icons are @AwesomeEevee's, and the holosheet is @aschefield101's. The Dunsparces are from official sources (though I recolored them for the Shiny coloring), credited in the Illus bar on their respective cards. The background for the LV.X was made by @FlamingClaw, and the background for the non-LV.X is a stock photo with some color swapping. Thanks so much to everyone whose resources I used for these! ^.^

The "a" symbol for "Alex's Pokémon" is the "a" from the font Braggadocio, edited by me to evoke Neko's Fossil theme.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Thanks, I love them! I could see myself using them in a deck alongside Omanyte and Kalamyte. :D

Apart from my mug (and maybe the fossil theme), that LV.X looks legit! If it were real, I imagine that it would be my favorite card in the entire game!

*Still hoping for an official Shiny Dunsparce card*