Collecting Is this Lt. Surge's Fearow a legitimate WOTC misprint or fake?

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
Hi everybody, as for my first forum discussion on Pokébeach I stumbled what was either the needle in the haystack genuine misprint or an unusualy original looking run off the mill fake.

Lt. Surge's Fearow (7/132) was never actually a rare card but strictly holofoil (as what happened with all Gym series holofoils and rare cards as I honestly have quite the affection to sets that had alternate visual rarties of the exact same type of card such as Jungle, Neo Discovery, Expedition which kinda shows how far Pokémon has come really). On the bottom left corner showing Ken Sugimori's name and trademark details it dosen't seem to appear as distinctively bold or presumably in the same font as they usually would seem to be in comparison to the actual version. I am also ambivalent as to whether the background of this card reflects the same colouration as the actual finialised holofoil one.

Either way, depending on how much it goes (since I just had a recent Godsend with a 2nd chance offer over a mint 1st Edition Base Set Kadabra unexpectedly) fake or not I think it might be worth going for it for only a fair pennies worth since I do find it interesting and unique in its own way nonetheless. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Deku

The Starving Artist
I think it's legit. For a fake to be that similar to a real card it would have to be a scan. But if it were a scan, it would have the dark coloring of the holofoil present on the image. But that isn't the case here. Even if it is a fake, if you can win the auction for a low price than you won't be loosing much. The seller will probably relist the auction if it doesn't sell.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The botched illustrator credit seems to be the biggest piece of evidence that it's fake; a missing foil would have no effect on the font, not to mention that this card was never actually non-holo, as you pointed out.

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
Did you win the bid @Shishigami ? If so, let us know if you can figure out if it's fake or not when it arrives!
I didn't go for it in the end with my feelings oscillating more towards PMJ's view but instead preordered two Mimikyu Pin Collection boxes (which I've been highly anticipating) with what I had. It will go down as either a smart choice or the worst decision making out of my entire card collecting span.
Thank you all however for taking the time to repond to my matter!

Rhyno

not very cool dude
I didn't go for it in the end with my feelings oscillating more towards PMJ's view but instead preordered two Mimikyu Pin Collection boxes (which I've been highly anticipating) with what I had. It will go down as either a smart choice or the worst decision making out of my entire card collecting span.
Thank you all however for taking the time to repond to my matter!
It might be the best choice if you get a secret rare ultra ball in the mimikyu boxes (don't get your expectations high though)

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
It might be the best choice if you get a secret rare ultra ball in the mimikyu boxes (don't get your expectations high though)
If only. The best card I got out of the two boxes was a second Full Art Team Rocket's Handiwork. I've had cursed luck with this set, in which I've pratically pulled every character outside of the beloved mascot of the set. :(

Last edited:

Rhyno

not very cool dude
I've pulled every GX in this set except for decidueye, arguably one of the best GXs. What are the chances.

Epidal

Aspiring Trainer
It's clearly a fake. The artwork background is completely different from the original. If you look at the original one, there's a cumulus cloud to the immediate left of Fearow (http://www.titillatingtreasures.com/blue/R10084a.jpg). Now compare this to the fake one. It has a sun to the left of Fearow instead of a cloud, and stratus clouds in the top half. I feel bad for the person that got ripped off in this auction.