• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Toad / Owl / Virbank

Fayld

Rayquaza / Eelektross Master
Advanced Member
I posted this in another thread, but figured I could post it so others could see it. This has been an exceptionally effective deck for me in expanded.

Pokémon - 16
4 Rowlet SUM 9
4 Dartrix SUM 10
3 Seismitoad-EX FFI 20
3 Decidueye-GX SUM 12
1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
1 Oranguru PR-SM SM13

Trainer Cards - 37
4 Professor Sycamore
2 N
1 Xerosic
1 Lysandre
1 Lillie
1 Karen

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
4 Hypnotoxic Laser
3 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear
2 Revitalizer
1 Special Charge

2 Float Stone
2 Fighting Fury Belt

3 Forest of Giant Plants
2 Virbank City Gym

Energy - 7
4 Double Colorless Energy
3 Grass Energy

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
I'd suggest adding an AZ (or Cassius) or Parallel City in order to remove unwanted/unneeded benched Pokémon.

I'd also suggest running an Olympia, a reusable (via VS Seeker) switching Supporter in place of 1 Float Stone.

Over the games you played, how many games did you play in which you were actually able to take 6 prizes? I had a few issues in games where my opponent used big HP Pokémon that can hit harder than the combined Quaking Punch + multiple damage drops, and had healing (PC lady, Olympia, and/or AZ, etc.) capabilities.

Fayld

Advanced Member
I'd suggest adding an AZ (or Cassius) or Parallel City in order to remove unwanted/unneeded benched Pokémon.

I'd also suggest running an Olympia, a reusable (via VS Seeker) switching Supporter in place of 1 Float Stone.

Over the games you played, how many games did you play in which you were actually able to take 6 prizes? I had a few issues in games where my opponent used big HP Pokémon that can hit harder than the combined Quaking Punch + multiple damage drops, and had healing (PC lady, Olympia, and/or AZ, etc.) capabilities.

All of my games have been 6 prize wins. I haven't decked out anyone with this one.

I might look at AZ or Cassius as a one of because it fulfills both of the points you mention (remove benched pokemon, can act as a variant of retreat, can heal in a pinch).

The thing is though, in general I don't focus so hard on getting 3 Decidueye down early. I want 2 by turn 3. The third can come later and unlike the bats variety (or the other people I have played who are using a toad / owls deck), my goal isn't to keep Toad up top at all times. I have 3 Toads because I want to be able to get one up and running T1. If I can avoid it, I try to only have one toad down at a time. It is a different approach, but it works because Decidueye itself is a tank that hits for 90. So, it isn't the end of the world for me if they get a Decidueye up.

That said, small sample size is small sample size. I have won 13 of 16 with this deck with 2 of the 3 losses coming to Archeops. I don't remember off the top of my head what the other loss was :( The poison + disruption is what sets this deck apart though. I tried the scoop variants and didn't really like how the damage output always felt consistently low. Hence the poison.

To be perfectly honest, I think the owls could probably be run every bit as effectively (perhaps more effectively) with Tauros-GX with this particular set up. The item lock is pretty big, but enough people know how to get around the item lock that it is far from absolute and I think your point about not getting enough punch with Quaking Punch is valid. I haven't tried it though, so I don't know for sure.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
All of my games have been 6 prize wins. I haven't decked out anyone with this one.
...To be perfectly honest, I think the owls could probably be run every bit as effectively (perhaps more effectively) with Tauros-GX with this particular set up. The item lock is pretty big, but enough people know how to get around the item lock that it is far from absolute and I think your point about not getting enough punch with Quaking Punch is valid. I haven't tried it though, so I don't know for sure.
Interestingly enough, there should be another thread regarding a Decidueye-Tauros deck somewhere in this Forum, I believe. However, IMO, your particular version works better. Secondly, I do run Tauros GX in my deck version (in fact in all my decks now - lol) and it has proven to be a real asset, especially against Yveltal EX and Darkrai EX match-ups. I also run a Professor Kukui for damage output boost and meager, supplemental card-draw support.

Fayld

Advanced Member
Interestingly enough, there should be another thread regarding a Decidueye-Tauros deck somewhere in this Forum, I believe. However, IMO, your particular version works better. Secondly, I do run Tauros GX in my deck version (in fact in all my decks now - lol) and it has proven to be a real asset, especially against Yveltal EX and Darkrai EX match-ups. I also run a Professor Kukui for damage output boost and meager, supplemental card-draw support.

Yeah, I think that other thread might be a standard deck. I think that one is far harder to use consistently (as is everything else in standard TBH LOL).

I think Tauros makes a lot of sense as a 1 or 2 of tech in this deck. Guessing you are going 2 Toads and 1 Tauros? I could absolutely see that working and might try that when I get home!

I am on the fence with Kukui. I think it could be amazing in the right deck. I just keep cursing my luck every time I draw into it when I need a draw supporter and it is my only option. Then again, I do that with Lysandre / Delinquent / Hex too when they aren't useful, so maybe that shouldn't be the gauge LOL! I think I might need to be more patient with the card :)

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Yeah, I think that other thread might be a standard deck. I think that one is far harder to use consistently (as is everything else in standard TBH LOL).

I think Tauros makes a lot of sense as a 1 or 2 of tech in this deck. Guessing you are going 2 Toads and 1 Tauros? I could absolutely see that working and might try that when I get home!

I am on the fence with Kukui. I think it could be amazing in the right deck. I just keep cursing my luck every time I draw into it when I need a draw supporter and it is my only option. Then again, I do that with Lysandre / Delinquent / Hex too when they aren't useful, so maybe that shouldn't be the gauge LOL! I think I might need to be more patient with the card :)
I'm currently running 3 Toads, 3 Decidueye GX and only 1 Tauros GX.

Professor Kukui (I run 2 in this particular to help Toad's damage output primarily) has not been my issue as much as having 3 Sycamore in my hand too many times... Ugh. But that's better than not having any, I guess... Lol.

Fayld

Advanced Member
I'm currently running 3 Toads, 3 Decidueye GX and only 1 Tauros GX.

Professor Kukui (I run 2 in this particular to help Toad's damage output primarily) has not been my issue as much as having 3 Sycamore in my hand too many times... Ugh. But that's better than not having any, I guess... Lol.

Given that lineup, having 3 in your hand would suck something fierce!!!!

With the numbers you are running, do you happen to run Ninja Boy? I am always on the fence with it. I like "surprise, your active was obliterated", but I hate teching Ninja Boy to do it LOL!

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Given that lineup, having 3 in your hand would suck something fierce!!!!

With the numbers you are running, do you happen to run Ninja Boy? I am always on the fence with it. I like "surprise, your active was obliterated", but I hate teching Ninja Boy to do it LOL!
Yes, I do run Ninja Boy. In most cases, Toad is taking early damage which a Ninja Boy'd Tauros GX can use to 1HKO a major threat with its 1st attack hopefully.

Thoughts about teching in:

• Spinda (auto-Confusion + 30 damage for C energy cost)
  • Beedrill EX (to remove opponent's Tools)
  • Mewtwo EX or Lugia EX (another great Ninja Boy asset)

Last edited:

Fayld

Advanced Member
Yes, I do run Ninja Boy. In most cases, Toad is taking early damage which a Ninja Boy'd Tauros GX can use to 1HKO a major threat with its 1st attack hopefully.

Thoughts about teching in:

• Spinda (auto-Confusion + 30 damage for C energy cost)
  • Beedrill EX (to remove opponent's Tools)
  • Mewtwo EX or Lugia EX (another great Ninja Boy asset)

Maybe it is just me, but I think Spinda is straight evil!

Fayld

Advanced Member
Lol. Definitely not a bad starter for setup decks or even as a replacement fro Oranguru, IMO.

Completely agree. Off topic, but that is one of the most underrated aspects of Espeon GX. The disruption is actually pretty disruptive!