News 'Sun and Moon Strengthening Expansion Pack'

Darn, weren't the Eeveelution EX's just a few months ago? Now this... I feel so spoiled :D

Why would you not use both?

Because they are both Stage 2s and vanilla Lunala isn't worth the space.

Between both Lunalas I wonder what would make great partners for them. Psychic is kind of lacking in energy acceleration right now.

Max Elixir is all you need. I can easily see Lunala-GX getting teched into Mewtwo decks as a way for it to augment its damage to score cleaner KOs and preserve Energy. Lunar Fall GX is completely busted in this format so be on the lookout for it when it becomes legal.

Max Elixir is all you need. I can easily see Lunala-GX getting teched into Mewtwo decks as a way for it to augment its damage to score cleaner KOs and preserve Energy. Lunar Fall GX is completely busted in this format so be on the lookout for it when it becomes legal.
I don't know. Through all of the Regionals up to this point, we haven't seen a single Mega Mewtwo Y deck do anything. I think what you're saying is a good idea, but I think it may be too little too late.

Because they are both Stage 2s and vanilla Lunala isn't worth the space.
It isn't like it's two separate evolution lines. If it were that would be a very different story. Lunala-GX's ability would make them work very well together.

ARGHHH!! I need my no Grass weakness cards! Where's my Metapod! (For those who don't know, in HGSS they had a Metapod with an Ability that made it to where you're grass Pokemon's had no weaknesses.)

I don't know. Through all of the Regionals up to this point, we haven't seen a single Mega Mewtwo Y deck do anything. I think what you're saying is a good idea, but I think it may be too little too late.

It's true that Mewtwo hasn't won anything, but getting a "free two prizes" button could be just the thing to take it all the way. Hell, Lunala could even be its own deck. The attack is pretty good but makes Yveltal salivate. Avoid dark decks and you can be immortal with Max Potion.

It isn't like it's two separate evolution lines. If it were that would be a very different story. Lunala-GX's ability would make them work very well together.

In that case I would consider a 2-2 split but I'd probably just do either 3-1 or just 3 GX.

It's true that Mewtwo hasn't won anything, but getting a "free two prizes" button could be just the thing to take it all the way. Hell, Lunala could even be its own deck. The attack is pretty good but makes Yveltal salivate. Avoid dark decks and you can be immortal with Max Potion.
That's why I think the baby Lunala can be good, it has nice synergy with the GX. Pokemon tends to do this with their cover legendaries. Yveltal has synergy with Yveltal EX. And while not quite as good, Xerneas had synergy with Xerneas. Who knows, with Max Potion getting a reprint, Lunala could quickly become the new Yveltal.

Side Note: It's been nearly 3 years and Yveltal EX is still not only in rotation, but a very playable card. I love seeing cards being used over a long period of time:)

That's why I think the baby Lunala can be good, it has nice synergy with the GX. Pokemon tends to do this with their cover legendaries. Yveltal has synergy with Yveltal EX. And while not quite as good, Xerneas had synergy with Xerneas. Who knows, with Max Potion getting a reprint, Lunala could quickly become the new Yveltal.

Side Note: It's been nearly 3 years and Yveltal EX is still not only in rotation, but a very playable card. I love seeing cards being used over a long period of time:)
I think the main concern with Lunala, either of its known cards, is the current lack of good energy acceleration for Psychic (at least off the top of my head).

I think the main concern with Lunala, either of its known cards, is the current lack of good energy acceleration for Psychic (at least off the top of my head).
Well there's Max Elixir which PMJ already brought up. Not to mention this is only the beginning of the SM era. Yveltal EX didn't get top tier until this year, when cards like Max Elixir and Garbodor helped cover weakness and speed up the deck.

MY EVALUATIONS!
  • Sylveon-GX - Cool card. Decent especially "KOing" benched Pokemon. It can get rid of Garb with this thing.
  • Altar of the Sunne - Cool also. Helpful for Volcanion worring about weakness and also M- Scizor. I wonder what Altar of the Moone gonna be
  • Lunala - A "basic" one, yay! And a Shatter Shot one, too. (Shatter Shot = Burst Ball)

Yveltal is also a basic. That's a big difference.

I'm not a fan of splitting the Lunala line, even just 2-2. You hurt your consistency. Still, 2-2 is as consistent as you can get, so if you're going to go that route, you might as well. To its credit, baby Lunala is pretty beefy, but completely folds to Evil Ball.

MY EVALUATIONS!
  • Sylveon-GX - Cool card. Decent especially "KOing" benched Pokemon. It can get rid of Garb with this thing.
  • Altar of the Sunne - Cool also. Helpful for Volcanion worring about weakness and also M- Scizor. I wonder what Altar of the Moone gonna be
  • Lunala - A "basic" one, yay! And a Shatter Shot one, too. (Shatter Shot = Burst Ball)
I'd have guessed that Altar of the Moone eliminates Weakness from Psychic Pokémon? Maybe not though.

Sylveon-GX seems pretty decent. Only a Stage 1, one energy gets you 3 cards. Sure, you might get N'd, but you might not! It's second attack is okay with DCE, 110 isn't bad damage. As for it's GX attack, I can only see one good use for it for now, and that's to get rid of Garbs / Alolan Muks for a turn. I'm sure there are more though. Like anything that isn't basic and has an Ability that works from the bench, I guess.

Lunala's 130 damage is again a nice number, KO's a Fright Night or baby Volcanion (assuming no FFBs), but then once you've attacked what do you do? DCE retreat, so you'd need a Float Stone, by the time you've put Energy onto it to attack you could've just been attaching to what you want to move the Energy to anyway. I know Lunala GX can move Energy with its Ability, but still, I just think it's kinda clunky.

Altar of the Sunne has obvious uses, although I think overall I still prefer Sky Field in Volcanion, and I probably prefer Silent Lab in Scizor for Hoopa/Shaymin disruption. Although both will definitely rotate in the summer (assuming no reprints), so this would be a good replacement for both then.

energy switch isn't used that much so I can only see this being used in certain situations. mostly it will be to save special energy on nearly dead poke but I can also see it combined with max potion on poke that use DCE like Tauros-GX.

MY EVALUATIONS!
  • Multi-switch - Energy Switch still exist in SM-era, right? Maybe this will be a bit better. Yveltal and Darkrai will <3 this card. Making them powerful. It can be a backup card, actually. 1 per deck is fine for pros.

This card allows Yveltal to be a bit more dangerous, allowing for a surprise 80 damage in a turn with a DCE attachment and this card to put the DCE back one that was moved for Y Cyclone. I love plays that can catch a player off guard and that will allow them but even in that deck, it will most likely be a one of card.

This card allows Yveltal to be a bit more dangerous, allowing for a surprise 80 damage in a turn with a DCE attachment and this card to put the DCE back one that was moved for Y Cyclone. I love plays that can catch a player off guard and that will allow them but even in that deck, it will most likely be a one of card.

You can also hit a Max Elixir on a back whatever, attach DCE to a front Yveltal EX and hit for 80 as fast as First Attacking Turn. You can technically do this with Energy Switch as well, but this card is much more versatile. I love it and I agree that it'll make Yveltal stronger as a whole (as if it really needed it).

-Asmer

Yeah this has an obvious use in Yveltal with Y Cyclone. It also might change the way people play Enhanced Hammer if it actually sees play. Like take Toad, for example. Normally if you're playing a Hammer against Toad, you'd go for the Active Toad (assuming they have another set up on the Bench and you're not about to KO the Active) in an attempt to break the item lock, but if you know they're playing this card then it could be a waste. If that makes sense.

Yeah this has an obvious use in Yveltal with Y Cyclone. It also might change the way people play Enhanced Hammer if it actually sees play. Like take Toad, for example. Normally if you're playing a Hammer against Toad, you'd go for the Active Toad (assuming they have another set up on the Bench and you're not about to KO the Active) in an attempt to break the item lock, but if you know they're playing this card then it could be a waste. If that makes sense.

Assuming you played Ranger in order to be able to play the Enhanced Hammer. Xerosic might be a better example in your point.

They seemed to have tried to balance an Energy Switch able to move specials that only moves from benched to active. I would agree with it being more useful in Dark Decks right now able to move DCE, Max Elixir and in Expanded Dark Patch.

It might help Rainbow decks as you can move the Rainbow Energy around without a Pokemon. Multi Switch will be interesting to see if it is going to be a good card in different decks or just one.

Back