News Decidueye, Incineroar, Primarina, Guardian Pokemon, Battle Tree, and More!

If the datamine killed my hype, this trailer restored it!

Decidueye is such a great name, and the fact it drops its Flying type for Ghost only makes it cooler. I'm actually quite surprised, seeing as Rowlet was the first starter since Bulbasaur to have a dual typing -- I figured it'd stay Grass/Flying throughout the line. Incineroar is growing on me; it'll never be my favorite, but I no longer have the same contempt for it as I did when it first leaked. I'm also in the camp that figured it would be Fire/Dark, not Fire/Fighting. Primarina was my initial favorite upon the first leaks, but that spot now belongs to Decidueye.

I'm still of the belief that Cosmog is the first of a three stage line ending with Solgaleo/Lunala. Regardless, it'll be exciting to see what role it plays in the story.

I'm not thrilled about the ghost type for Decidueye, if only because I was already planning on using Mimikyu and maybe also Palossand on my team. Now I have to either cut 1-2 of those or pick Popplio or Litten as my starter, even though Rowlet is my favourite, unless I want to channel my inner Phoebe and have an all ghost-type team. Maybe round it out with Ghost Oricorio, Marowak and that leaked
anchor mon
, why not?

I guess I can't fault S&M for my liking their ghost types so much. Thank goodness Ninetales isn't also ghost.

Hum...surprised to see Rowlet's evo getting the Ghost type but would prefer an Alolan Noctowl with this typing, That said, I'll still go with it since a silent reaper is cool and because I expect it to have some Flying moves.

Litten's evo...those sausage fingers are just hideous and make it look cartoony.

Poplio's evo will be my second in command on my team because it's just what Milotic's evolution should be long ago.

Cynthia must have a hard time with that amount of black and fur in Alola.

Tapu somethings...same boring pixies as ever. Was expecting more differences in design from g

Red and Green...I still remember both from HG so along with Kanto Alolan forms, it's all just kinda of tiresome, more so when Red seems like an sad guy and our male protagonist looks like he's always with a doll's happy face, even when surrounded by Skull grunts.

Wait, grass-ghost? I... did not see that one coming. Huh. Also, why does GF decide to make a rogue stealthy archer pokemon as a starter at the same time they make the first outright girly starter line ever? It's like they want me to be conf...

Primarina? I adore that name.
No conflict anymore. Goodbye... archer thing with the weird name!

Wait, who is this?... Goodness, do you mean someone actually ever aged in these games? I'm speechless.

Right. If the League is under construction on the only noticeably snowy peak in Alola... what does that mean for the ice types? as in, if I can't access that place and obviously won't be going through Victory road there, where will I get a vulpix? I don't see any more snow in these godforsaken islands.

Last edited:
This may be the fist time I EVER choose grass (and flying) as my first starter! Honestly i like them all.

I'm really liking Decidueye's design, although I wish it had more than a glorified Mean Look for its special attack. Now I don't know whether to evolve Rowlet or not.

Thank Arceus (Thanking Mew? What are you, some kind of atheist?) that Incineroar isn't Fire/Fighting. Its special attack seems like it could have potential.

Primarina is definitive proof that beautiful swans come from ugly ducklings. It also learns a Water-type Aromatherapy, so there's that. I just hope they make Fairy weak to Ghost, to create a second triangle.

The Tapu set of legendaries looks competent enough, and the behemoth that appears in their Z-move looks awesome.

OMG COSMOG IS SO CUTE!

http://battle-cats.wikia.com/wiki/Cat_(Cat_Unit) <-- Alolan Persian.

Nice that the Pokémon League won't appear until you're good and ready.

Am I the only one who's not too terribly excited for the Battle Tree? Either give us a Battle Frontier (Emerald's, to be specific), or a World Tournament like in B2/W2.

The only way the hype could be killed is if Game Freak pulls a Battle Maison by teasing the Alolan League and then only giving us the Battle Tree. If I can't battle the Elite Four in this game, I will be hella mad.

I find the evolutions all great, but I find, Decidueye just a horrible name. yes, its horrible. In comparison, Primarina and Incineroar get the point across and are way better names in the following ways:

Primarina's name:
1. Prima donna - a lead opera singer
2. Mar - a latin word that means "Seas", explaining the water-type, and may be derived from the Lunar Mares, the dark spots of the moon, explaining the Fairy typing.
3. Marina - a feminine take on the word/name "Marinus", which means "Of the Sea".

Incineroar's name:
1. Incinerate/Incinerator - refers to something being burned fiercely.
2. Pronouncing the name reveals the word "Sin", which is to do evil things, hence fitting with the Dark type.
3. Nero - means "Black" in Greek language, which is featured heavily in its design.
4. Roar - its cry is that of a literal, dark ferocious tiger-like roar. Do I have to say anything else?

easily best video reveal, does this mean S&M2? with that being gym leaders and whatnot
and does this also mean if what i said above that will ash go on the gym battles for the second half of the anime?

A lot of this has been leaked, so it's really not that exciting a reveal. Also not terribly impressed with the Battle Tree since it's basically Not PWT (is this really the "amazing facility we can't believe"?), but at least we don't have another generic facility again.

I was on the fence about Decidueye based on the leaked art and datamined sprites, but that official art seals the deal for me. Rowlet is my starter.

I was really hoping Tapu Lele was going to be a Fairy/Poison type. 7 Generations and still no poison type legendary.

I don't care what anyone says Alolan Persian is great. It actually is a Persian Cat now. If it is at all useable I will be adding it to my team.

Does the Tapu's Z move remind you guys of Megaman?

I think the battle tree is going to be just like the battle maison and the battle subway! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Decidueye is actually really clever. Deciduous being trees that shed their leaves, as in the leaves die, as in grass/ghost because dead plant matter. Genius.

Also Incinroar is my precious child that I will cherish forever and he will wreck your faves.

I was not disappointed when I woke up this morning. I'd like to share my thoughts.

Decidueye
Honestly, I hadn't found it all that interesting in the past. I simply saw it as an uninteresting Grass/Flying archer, but now looking at it again... It definitely seems like a fearsome Pokémon, in lore, design, and competitive. I'm definitely loving the ghost-typing to become more stealthy. Quite the interesting adaptation, if you ask me. I'm also liking how it loses weakness to Rock and some weakness to Ice. Its name is definitely something to appreciate too, as it comes from deciduous, which is a shrub that annually sheds its leaves and can even be a broad leaved shrub. This seems rather fitting, given Decidueye's broad feathery wing cape and how it plucks its feathers like leaves off of a tree. The only thing I don't like is the name of its Spirit Shackle. I can't help but feel like Shadow Pin or something like that would be better.

Incineroar
I can't really say much for this lug. I'm not much of a fan of Fire-types, nor am I a fan of Dark-types (with the exceptions of Yveltal, Umbreon, Victini, Reshiram and Darmanitan). It's interesting that it's Dark-type yet acts heroic... Hmm... Oh, and I can't help but feel like its giant hands help with it's Darkest Lariat, which I must admit, the move is pretty awesome.

Primarina
The beautifully perfect Water-type starter reveals itself to the world! I truly love this design completely! I've been in love with Popplio's line ever since I saw it in the E3 demo. Prior to then, I was simply going with Rowlet because bowties. When I saw that little ol' Popps had such good Special, HP, and Defensive stats, I fell in love. I tend to be the type to love pokemon that attack with Specials and can take a lickin' and keep on kickin'. Imagining Primarina with a possible 100, 70, 80, 100, 110, 80 stat distribution is amazing. Primarina has already become one of my favorite Water-types, rivalling only Vaporeon and Milotic. Primarina may very well be the only starter I select this generation. Usually I pick favorite then second favorite, but this time I'm just going full Primaria. I even plan on having my Moon version be a water-type only playthrough with shiny Primaria, my female trainer cosplaying her, Milotic, Vaporeon, Wimpod, Wishiwashi, and either Carracosta or Lapras. Oh my gosh, I cannot get enough of Primarina!! And that Sparkling Aria, too!! I can't wait to use that in competitive along with a high Attack pokemon! Take that, will-o-wispers! >: D

Tapu
I don't have much to say for the new Tapu, as I'd prefer to see them in the game before making opinions, as I feel like my view may very well change easily.

Cosmog
Same as above.

Alolan Persian
Honestly, when I saw it in the leak, I hated it. After watching a video explaining that it actually is like the real life Persian cat breed, I actually like it a lot. The actual cat breed is known for having a puffy, flat face and was bred to look that way by royal families and is an extremely classy cat, almost a status symbol for the wealthy. Alolan Persian is no different. It even makes it so the name makes sense, as regular Persian is a Siamese cat, even in its Japanese species name (which literally means Siamese Cat).

Red
I dunno what to really say about red besides damn did he age well. My god, I haven't seen a fictional character grow up to be so freaking hot since maybe Naruto...? But good golly gosh, if I lived in the Pokémon world, I'd seriously love to date him...! And, I swear, if they show him in the anime... Oh boy. Can't wait to hear his battle theme! And imagine him speaking the first word in 20 years! I imagine it could be him opening up to the trainer and telling him his story of adventure. I wonder if this means we'll see other past trainers...? I mean, Masuda and Ohmori did say there's gonna be surprises for fans of all generations in a way that hinted at something like this...

Blue/Green
Ok, I mean, I know his name is Blue in the US and Green in the Manga and Japan, but I feel like people shouldn't get so grumpy about his name... Anyway, Looking smug as usual, and easy on the eyes too! Glad to know he has a better sense of fashion than he did in FRLG! Well, then again, we knew that since HGSS came around. Wow, I realized this might mean Gary could cameo in the new anime like this. That'd be awesome! I can't wait to hear Blue/Green's battle theme though!

Alola Pokemon League
Ok, remember how the Indigo League had a name? I'm hereby dubbing this the Rainbow League because of the games' codename; Project Rainbow. I'm so excited that they added this. I'm even more excited for Cynthia! My all time favorite Champion returns in 3D and, hopefully, with a brand new remix of her encounter and battle themes! I hope I get to battle her with a full party instead of just 3, though! As for Wally... I think that's cool.
I think there is a misunderstanding. Primarina's move heals the burns of the target. It also looked like it did damage because the hurt animation took into affect. Then it is truly the most useless thing ever.

Incineroar produces flames from its bellybutton? ...I love it even more now. Love Primarina's name, and Decidueye is Grass/Ghost? Didn't see that coming! I love all three final forms actually--a real relief since I didn't care for any of the Gen 6 final forms.

A little disappointed with the Tapu typing... was hoping for something more unique, like Fire/Fairy for Lele and Fighting/Fairy for Bulu.

I don't care what anyone says Alolan Persian is great. It actually is a Persian Cat now. If it is at all useable I will be adding it to my team.
*Googles Persian Cat*
Oh my gosh... you're right! Maybe they went with the design so the face would match the name?

Last edited:
I think there is a misunderstanding. Primarina's move heals the burns of the target. It also looked like it did damage because the hurt animation took into affect. Then it is truly the most useless thing ever.
I knew it heals the target, I just didn't realize it might damage. But, in that case, it can be useful if my ally Pokemon is another Water-type or a Dragon-type. If not, then it'll be good against those damned Conkeldurrs with Flame Orbs.

I'm on here reading the comments and all I see is, "At last the fire/fighting curse is broken! OMGZ MAMAW!" All I can think after is, "DOES ANYONE REMEMBER A LITTLE THING CALLED FENNEKIN!?" Delphox certainly is NOT Fire/Fighting. I understand XY is recent, but did only a handful play it!?

I'm on here reading the comments and all I see is, "At last the fire/fighting curse is broken! OMGZ MAMAW!" All I can think after is, "DOES ANYONE REMEMBER A LITTLE THING CALLED FENNEKIN!?" Delphox certainly is NOT Fire/Fighting. I understand XY is recent, but did only a handful play it!?
Everyone seems to have forgotten Delphox entirely, including Pokémon, seeing as Braxien is in so many more things than Delphox (it even has more TCG cards)

Back