Ruling Yveltal (BKT) & Ninja Boy

WastedSkyPirate

Hi there,

I have a question about a particular in-game situation involving the following cards:
I have two scenarios in mind that I would like to ask a question about.

Scenario 1

Player A has an active Darkrai-EX.

Darkrai-EX has 16 damage counters placed on it (160 damage).

Player B has an active Volcanion-EX, equipped with a Fighting Fury Belt.

Volcanion-EX has 20 damage counters placed on it (200 damage).

Player A plays Ninja Boy and switches his/her active Darkrai-EX with Yveltal (BKT). As Yveltal now has 160 damage, its HP has been exceeded and it is KO'd.

Question: Before Yveltal is KO'd, does its Fright Night Ability activate, disabling Volcanion's Fighting Fury Belt and also KO'ing Volcanion?

Scenario 2

Player A has an active Darkrai-EX, equipped with a Fighting Fury Belt.

Darkrai-EX has 16 damage counters placed on it (160 damage).

Player B has an active Volcanion-EX, equipped with a Fighting Fury Belt.

Volcanion-EX has 20 damage counters placed on it (200 damage).

Player A plays Ninja Boy and switches his/her active Darkrai-EX with Yveltal (BKT). Yveltal's Fright Night Ability activates and disables both Player A and Player B's Fighting Fury Belts. Yveltal is KO'd and Volcanion-EX is KO'd as both of their HP have now been exceeded.

Question: Does this scenario play out as described above, with Fright Night activating to disable both active Pokemon's Fighting Fury Belts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
This is an excellent question. My inclination is to say that yes, Fright Night does activate, but I can't give you the exact sequence of events to back that up.

I had previously misread Scenario 2. Both come down to whether or not Fright Night activates before the KO is checked. I'll have to follow up on this.

Thanks for the great questions!

Last edited:
This is an excellent question. My inclination is to say that yes, Fright Night does activate, but I can't give you the exact sequence of events to back that up.

I had previously misread Scenario 2. Both come down to whether or not Fright Night activates before the KO is checked. I'll have to follow up on this.

Thanks for the great questions!

Thanks for the response.

Yes, re-reading Scenario 2, I realise that I didn't type it out correctly. I've now edited it such that Darkrai-EX has 16 damage counters (160 damage), the same as in the first scenario. In this case I feel it's a bit more straight forward as, for Yveltal to be KO'd, Fright Night must activate which would then also KO Volcanion-EX.

Imagine this situation at the top tables at a big tournament where both players have 2 prizes left! I'd want to be armed with knowledge of the correct ruling. It'd be a great little trick to have in your back pocket.

I'm looking forward to your follow up on this!

EDIT:

Hi @Asclepius24, is there any update on this ruling?

Last edited:
Back