• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard (PRC-STS) Xerneas / Giratina

WastedSkyPirate

Hi all!

Xerneas BREAK is clearly going to be a good deck for next format. Here's my list. If I find this to work well, I'll be sleeving it up for the first few PRC-STS tournaments of the season!

img_legend_01_07.jpg

Version 2.0

Pokemon (11)

4 Xerneas (XY #96)
3 Xerneas BREAK

2 Giratina-EX
2 Shaymin-EX

Trainers (35)

4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
1 Lysandre
1 Pokemon Fan Club
1 Hex Maniac

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers' Mail
4 Max Elixir
3 Exp. Share
2 Super Rod
1 Energy Switch

3 Fairy Garden

Energy (14)

11 Fairy Energy
3 Double Dragon Energy

Strategy

In the early stages of the game, use Xerneas' Geomancy and Max Elixir to get lots of Energy on the field. The aim is to power up multiple attackers and simultaneously boost the damage from Xerneas BREAK's Life Stream.

Exp. Share (which will be difficult to remove in PRC-STS due the absence of a Tool-removing Trainer card) helps to retain Energy, maintaining your set up and damage output.

Giratina-EX improves the matchup against Mega Evolution Pokemon, especially Rayquaza who will be locked out of Special Energy and Sky Field after a Chaos Wheel. Furthermore, you can play down your Double Dragon Energy to boost Life Stream.

This feels like a very "vanilla" list, with a lot of room for techs, etc., so please let me know if I've missed something or can tweak the list for better consistency.

All feedback is welcome!

Last edited:
Hi WastedSkyPirate,

Not sure on Togekiss since he consumes ten deck slots and with the lower Basic Energy count I am not sure how effective he is. You need to evolve Togekiss from hand to use Serene Grace. How many Basic Energies does one Togekiss net you on usual in your playtesting?

Hi WastedSkyPirate,

Not sure on Togekiss since he consumes ten deck slots and with the lower Basic Energy count I am not sure how effective he is. You need to evolve Togekiss from hand to use Serene Grace. How many Basic Energies does one Togekiss net you on usual in your playtesting?

Hi @Dark Espeon

How many basic Energy do you think this deck should run?

I've not had a chance to test this list yet but I'll update the page once I get the chance.

Hi @Dark Espeon

How many basic Energy do you think this deck should run?

I've not had a chance to test this list yet but I'll update the page once I get the chance.

My variant of Xerneas BREAK runs twelve Basic Fairy Energy and two Double Colorless Energy. It runs Max Elixir instead of Togekiss. While Max Elixir looks at the top six cards Togekiss digs two cards deeper. However, I have rarely seen more than two Basic Energy cards in the top six cards with Max Elixir. Also take into account that Xerneas reduces the energy pool in the deck with Geomancy. I would run fourteen Basic Fairy Energy in this version but I am still not sure that the added effort to get Togekiss out yields more energies than the Max Elixir engine. Would be interested in your test results once you check the deck out.

I would run fourteen Basic Fairy Energy in this version but I am still not sure that the added effort to get Togekiss out yields more energies than the Max Elixir engine. Would be interested in your test results once you check the deck out.

Hi @Dark Espeon!

I had a few chances to test the deck out.

On average I was hitting 3 Energy from Serene Grace. So, in it's current state, I think you're right - 12 Basic Energy is not enough and Togekiss is not worth the extra effort. That being said, I'm not going to give up on the concept. Perhaps, it might be better to run a crazy-high count of Energy?

Either way, the more competitive version of the deck is the build using Max Elixir and secondary attackers that make use of DCE and/or Double Dragon Energy - see the opening post for an updated list.

Last edited:
Version 2.0

Pokemon (11)
4 Xerneas (XY #96)
3 Xerneas BREAK
2 Giratina-EX
2 Shaymin-EX

Trainers (35)
4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
1 Lysandre
1 Pokemon Fan Club
1 Hex Maniac

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers' Mail
4 Max Elixir
3 Exp. Share
2 Super Rod
1 Energy Switch

3 Fairy Garden

Energy (14)
11 Fairy Energy
3 Double Dragon Energy
I personally like this list; I think it's quite solid.

My primary concern would be the lone Lysandre. Should it be prized, you could be at a severe disadvantage. I would suggest replacing an Exp. Share (which I don't think are that effective since you an opponent can reduce its impact) with another Lysandre.

Why no Ninja Boy?

Thanks @TuxedoBlack and cheers for the suggestions.

A second Lysandre would be the 61st card if you like. I did have 2 in the first draft but cut it as I worked down to 60.

I'm keeping in mind a number of cards for testing, including Ninja Boy. However, out of 8 Basic Pokemon only 2 are Shaymin-EX, so I won't be starting with it too often (hopefully). Plus, bumping it out of the active spot will be fairly easy with Fairy Energy and Fairy Garden.

I can see Ninja Boy being useful in the mid-to-late game for switching out a benched Shaymin-EX or turning a Giratina-EX into a Xerneas so that I can evolve into the BREAK or switching Xerneas for a Giratina-EX to attached the Double Dragon Energy. I'm just unsure how often these scenarios will present themselves.

A Super Rod, Trainers' Mail, Exp. Share and Pokemon Fan Club could all make way for Ninja Boy or a second Lysandre. I'll report back after testing the current list but please feel free to try it out yourself and let me know what you think works best!

EDIT: I can see Regirock (PR #49) being useful in this deck as an "Energy Totem" of sorts. With Ω Barrier blocking Lysandre and Hammers, it's good for keeping Energy in play. Furthermore, it combines well with Ninja Boy, which can turn it into something more useful once it's accumulated lots of Energy.

Last edited:
Hi WastedSkyPirate,

Great list. I would consider these modifications:

- 1 Pokemon Fan Club (not that useful if you do not start with it)
- 1 Super Rod (one has been sufficient for me)
- 1 Energy Switch (never needed it)

+ 2 Repeat Ball (Since it searches out Xerneas and Xerneas BREAK alike it has been real useful in my deck)
+ 1 Ninja Boy (Trade benched Shaymin and assistance attackers for retrieved Xerneas)

I would even like to run a second Ninja Boy since it was real useful in my deck in the middle and early game. Your deck is close to a version I run since this set was released in Japan but I do run a secondary Fairy attacker instead of Giratina to have a better mirror match and a tech Kefki for Xerneas BREAK.

Thanks @Dark Espeon

Pokemon Fan Club, Super Rod and Energy Switch are all up for cutting. I agree with you there.

I'll have a play around with Repeat Ball (a card I always have in the back of my mind - I feel it's been underused outside of some Bats decks) and Ninja Boy.

Hi WastedSkyPirate,

Both of them worked real well in the Xerneas BREAK variant I use at the moment. Repeat Ball makes the deck a lot faster and Ninja Boy allows you to attach to any Pokémon available and trade it for Xerneas later on. Liked Sylveon Ex and Diancie Ex as assistance attackers since Giratina will not be too uncommon early on in the format.

Hi WastedSkyPirate,

Both of them worked real well in the Xerneas BREAK variant I use at the moment. Repeat Ball makes the deck a lot faster and Ninja Boy allows you to attach to any Pokémon available and trade it for Xerneas later on. Liked Sylveon Ex and Diancie Ex as assistance attackers since Giratina will not be too uncommon early on in the format.
I would be very interested in seeing your Xerneas BREAK variant. Any chance you would share your thoughts with a noob player?

Hi chacks13,

The post above contains a link to it. Click the blue letters and it will take you to the most recent version I run.

I think that the deck is very powerful. As soon as I can test, could I use your list as a baseline @WastedSkyPirate? Then I will be in a situation to help with updating the list.

I think that the deck is very powerful. As soon as I can test, could I use your list as a baseline @WastedSkyPirate? Then I will be in a situation to help with updating the list.

Hi @XacerB8

Feel free to use the list as a base line. Let me know how you get on and if you have any suggestions!

EDIT: I tested this deck last night and I'm really pleased with the list. It's very consistent in getting setup and pumping out damage. A surprise star was Pokemon Fan Club, which is fantastic in the early stages of the game - netting you two Pokemon gives you your Geomancy targets and lets you drop Max Elixirs. Also, one of the Pokemon you grab can be Shaymin-EX, turning Pokemon Fan Club into a pseudo-draw Supporter!

I can, however, see Ninja Boy being great in this list as a one of. An Exp. Share or Energy Switch might be cut in its place.

Also, Giratina-EX is so good in the Mega Mewtwo (Y) matchup; blocking the opponent from playing down Double Colourless Energy, Shrine of Memories and Tool cards on Garbodor. If it wasn't for Giratina-EX, this matchup would be very hard for Xerneas, as Damage Swap Mewtwo eats Life Streams for breakfast and heals/KOs back.

EDIT #2: One to keep in mind for the mirror match: a 1-1 of Bisharp (STS). If I went down this route I might also consider 1 Xerneas from BREAKthrough; with Shaymin-EX, Xerneas, Giratina-EX and Bisharp on the bench Rainbow Force hits for 160.

Last edited:
Back