New 'Premium Champion' Set, Blastoise Mega Battle Special Pack!

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
The sadist in me really wants to try Beedrill with Vibank. 7 damage counters with paralysis is nuts. Beedrill/Vileplume would be pretty cool too.

Just need to figure out a way to constantly put energy on the bees.

Virbank only adds 2 damage counters. So mega beedril's poison would do 60 damage per turn. 40+60+60 doesn't seem like enough damage output especially with the forced energy discard

LiftoffLizard

Hoenn Nerd
Well speed Mega Beedrill (mega turbos) actually could deal some serious damage. What about Dragalge from Flash Fire with this card. This deck will get NO play in expanded because of Keldeo/Float Stone spam.

sagen888

Shine on you Crazy Diamond
Now I'm very confused as to what the upcoming north American sets are gonna look like / how we're gonna be getting these cards.

Yog

Rogue
As long as Night March and maybe Blacksmith aren't reprinted..

I would be extremely surprised if Blacksmith isn't reprinted for standard before rotation. Or at least a very similar alternative. Perhaps a Blacksmith 2.0 that allows two fire energy from discard but they must be on two different mons?

But if it doesn't get any kind of reprint then Fire as a whole type is dead in the water. All those single energy attachments. Delphox Break can only go so far. Blacksmith and rapid acceleration to counter all the discard X energy attacks is the whole basis of the type.

sagen888

Shine on you Crazy Diamond
I would be extremely surprised if Blacksmith isn't reprinted for standard before rotation. Or at least a very similar alternative. Perhaps a Blacksmith 2.0 that allows two fire energy from discard but they must be on two different mons?

But if it doesn't get any kind of reprint then Fire as a whole type is dead in the water. All those single energy attachments. Delphox Break can only go so far. Blacksmith and rapid acceleration to counter all the discard X energy attacks is the whole basis of the type.
Unfortunately, I would imagine this would be the case given what we have been told so far about the premium champion set.

bugcatlcherRiley

BugCatcherRiley
Well speed Mega Beedrill (mega turbos) actually could deal some serious damage. What about Dragalge from Flash Fire with this card. This deck will get NO play in expanded because of Keldeo/Float Stone spam.

Para already prevents retreat, so Garb would be a better options over dragalge, imo. That would prevent any rush in nonsense.

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
Can anyone explain what this set is and when we will get it.
It is the closing set of the XY ERA, Like Legendary Treasures was for BW? Will it come after XY12 (The Volcanion set)?

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Can anyone explain what this set is and when we will get it.
It is the closing set of the XY ERA, Like Legendary Treasures was for BW? Will it come after XY12 (The Volcanion set)?

This set is a special japanese set (official name is concept pack) that's coming out in about a week (more or less). It consists mostly of reprints of cards from the XY era, but as you can see in the news article, it will also have new cards. All cards in the set are reverse holo (mirror holo as it is called in Japan) and have no rarities.
Now, is this set coming to the west? I would say no. Even though it is very similar to the japanese EXtra Battle Boost (our Legendary Treasures set), the new cards (like Wobbuffet BREAK) will apparently be all released as promos (or even shoved in the western main sets), indicating TPCi might not have the intention to make a set with all those reprints... So, everybody freakin' out about Toad being reprinted might want to chill out and wait...

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
This set is a special japanese set (official name is concept pack) that's coming out in about a week (more or less). It consists mostly of reprints of cards from the XY era, but as you can see in the news article, it will also have new cards. All cards in the set are reverse holo (mirror holo as it is called in Japan) and have no rarities.
Now, is this set coming to the west? I would say no. Even though it is very similar to the japanese EXtra Battle Boost (our Legendary Treasures set), the new cards (like Wobbuffet BREAK) will apparently be all released as promos (or even shoved in the western main sets), indicating TPCi might not have the intention to make a set with all those reprints... So, everybody freakin' out about Toad being reprinted might want to chill out and wait...

It's being reprinted as it's own set.
No matter what we will have to obtain the reprints here because they will still be legal in the next rotation in Japan.

As a set? No we won't get the exact same thing. Will we get everything reprinted from this set in some form? Yes, unfortunately. Because they have no other choice. Unless they intend to phase out the entire X/Y Next Rotation (which I highly doubt) So people worrying about things in this set have an actual right to worry because they actually need to reprint the cards.

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
The only reprint I'd like to see is Muscle Band! And yes, this M-Beedrill is awesome!! Great artwork and pretty playable!

Also, I'm very upset about the freaking Toad...

TheLunaticHypno

Just your average Hypno fan
Noooooooooo.... Seismatoad is back... ;-;
Rip all rouge decks

The only reprint I'd like to see is Muscle Band! And yes, this M-Beedrill is awesome!! Great artwork and pretty playable!

Also, I'm very upset about the freaking Toad...
The 200 hp is quite a turn off though. Maybe floette from flashfire? Or whenever that floette with the grass type hp boost came out. I do think that a 3-2-1 line of dragalgae would be a good inclusion. (2 flashfire, and 1 BREAKpoint) it can lock them in the active spot so you can keep hitting them for paralysis and lingering poison damage. 80 a turn for 2 energy with paralysis isn't bad. Then there is also the 40 that is put on during your turn. This might see some play, as a rouge deck of sorts, and I think will be something we always have to be worrying about in the back of our heads

Last edited by a moderator:

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
I am still unsure about whether or not these reprints are coming West (but thanks for your arguments folks).

But, if this is going into a reprint set as XY12 (English release set for November 2016), akin to Legendary Treasures, it would be perfect timing because Sun/Moon should be out by December, in time for a February S/M base set. (Side note: SM is such an awkward abbrv. to be using considering what it usually stands for...)

If this is truly going to be a reprint set, I don't know what to say. Was LTR like this? I remember Lugia, Keldeo, Mewtwo, Mew, Darkrai, Reshiram, Zekrom, Victini, and Black Kyurem. Keldeo was staple. Mewtwo, Darkrai, Lugia and BK were big. Victini, Mew, Reshiram and Zekrom were around too...

But I feel like this set is really just reprinting the whole core metagame haha, sans Manectric + Night March (but I don't want to speak too soon on that one...). Maybe LTR did this too but I wasn't paying attention back then. And, unlike LTR it's also reprinting key trainers, and I think that's what is making the difference here. My feels:

VS Seeker: should be reprinted semi-often like Level & Heavy Ball anyways imo.

Battle Compressor: this is staple in SO many decks. However I feel like a card that just lets you magically discard cards from your deck without any sort of effort or using your supporter for the turn or anything like that is a bit ... weird? Idk I feel like it shouldn't exist, or that it should be 1 or 2 cards and not 3, or a Supporter, or something. It's very powerful.

Shaymin & Hoopa: Support Pokemon EX. While I'd wish Shaymin would leave that's just me being silly probably. I think it increases the solitaire-like-ness of the game where you watch as someone draws through half their deck on their first turn but meh there's Silent Lab and Garb and people like it so fine. Hoopa is ok.

Seismitoad: WHY??? Ugh this thing is one of the most meta-defining cards and has been since it's release, but Mewtwo, Darkrai, BK, etc. are good precedent to show that if something is a meta defining EX it's probably here to stay for a long long time. I just wish it wasn't so lock-y...

M-Ray, P-Grou, Yveltal: Big meta offensive decks, the first 2 of which have faded a little as of recently but hey I guess this means there's opportunities for comebacks? P-Grou will suffer without FFI in rotation though, as well M-Ray after ROS leaves but that's something to worry about later. Yveltal will be here forever and people will always find new ways to use it ... it's that strong.

Giratina: Another lock, albeit harder to pull off than Seismitoad. I guess I don't mind. In 2 rotations when ROS rotates and takes DDE with it though it's toast. Makes me wonder if they'll keep reprinting DDE to keep Dragons viable.

M-Mewtwo: Unnecessary because this set will probably rotate at the same time as BRT, but hey they put Plasma Lugia in LTR too so clearly they do not care.

Phew. Glad I got that out.

Last edited:

asdjklghty

-------------
Well if seismitoad will be around for years to come then its time to join the dark side

HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND
Of course. Seismitoad is actually in the light side because NM is the annoying deck.

I am still unsure about whether or not these reprints are coming West (but thanks for your arguments folks).

But, if this is going into a reprint set as XY12 (English release set for November 2016), akin to Legendary Treasures, it would be perfect timing because Sun/Moon should be out by December, in time for a February S/M base set. (Side note: SM is such an awkward abbrv. to be using considering what it usually stands for...)

If this is truly going to be a reprint set, I don't know what to say. Was LTR like this? I remember Lugia, Keldeo, Mewtwo, Mew, Darkrai, Reshiram, Zekrom, Victini, and Black Kyurem. Keldeo was staple. Mewtwo, Darkrai, Lugia and BK were big. Victini, Mew, Reshiram and Zekrom were around too...

But I feel like this set is really just reprinting the whole metagame haha, sans Night March (but I don't want to speak too soon on that one...). Maybe LTR did this too but I wasn't paying attention back then. And, unlike LTR it's also reprinting key trainers, and I think that's what is making the difference here. My feels:

VS Seeker: should be reprinted semi-often like Level & Heavy Ball anyways imo.

Battle Compressor: this is staple in SO many decks. However I feel like a card that just lets you magically discard cards from your deck without any sort of effort or using your supporter for the turn or anything like that is a bit ... weird? Idk I feel like it shouldn't exist, or that it should be 1 or 2 cards and not 3, or a Supporter, or something. It's very powerful.

Shaymin & Hoopa: Support Pokemon EX. While I'd wish Shaymin would leave that's just me being silly probably. I think it increases the solitaire-like-ness of the game where you watch as someone draws through half their deck on their first turn but meh there's Silent Lab and Garb and people like it so fine. Hoopa is ok.

Seismitoad: WHY??? Ugh this thing is one of the most meta-defining cards and has been since it's release, but Mewtwo, Darkrai, BK, etc. are good precedent to show that if something is a meta defining EX it's probably here to stay for a long long time. I just wish it wasn't so lock-y...

M-Ray, P-Grou, Yveltal: Big meta offensive decks, the first 2 of which have faded a little as of recently but hey I guess this means there's opportunities for comebacks? P-Grou will suffer without FFI in rotation though, as well M-Ray after ROS leaves but that's something to worry about later. Yveltal will be here forever and people will always find new ways to use it ... it's that strong.

Giratina: Another lock, albeit harder to pull off than Seismitoad. I guess I don't mind. In 2 rotations when ROS rotates and takes DDE with it though it's toast. Makes me wonder if they'll keep reprinting DDE to keep Dragons viable.

M-Mewtwo: Unnecessary because this set will probably rotate at the same time as BRT, but hey they put Plasma Lugia in LTR too so clearly they do not care.

Phew. Glad I got that out.

1. This card isn't the problem. NM is.

2. These guys should be reprinted they're balanced enough and even then you don't always draw what you need. Remember Uxie?

3. YES!! WE NEED TOAD WHEN THERE ARE CHEAP OHKO T1 DECKS AROUND. Also, any kind of Item lock is always good.

4. These guys need to be reprinted. The dark bird is the new Darkrai. I really like that Primal Groudon will survive rotation. That guy needs to be successful. BTW, I believe Strong Energy is going to be reprinted. It was included in a Japanese deck.

5. We need him

6. Dunno. It's always nice to keep an interesting card in the format because you never know when it might be good.

TheLunaticHypno

Just your average Hypno fan
I won't have to scavenge for ROS anymore!
Yea but watch it be a secret rare along with toad, battle compressor, yveltal, Hoopa, and all the other cards reprinted. Actually, now that I think about it, a golden toad would probably look pretty sweet
EDIT: I just realized that Sr Shaymin would cost more than a freaking island...

Last edited by a moderator:

fleshrum

Cephalophore
Question that is most important for me is: Does this signal the end of the era, in the same way Legendary Treasures did?