Rumor Control: 'Base Set' is Not Confirmed to be Reprinted at This Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

awesomeMSG

Just a guy who wants to master Greninja BREAK
I love that chansy coin. Finally a coin other than the three Kalos starters and Pikachu. I'm hoping these "few" cards we will be able to play with competitively. Hopefully these cards will actually be useful like maybe a fighting type/water type so we may be able to use Maxie / Archie. That could make 2016 one of the most remembered years of pokemon with multiple generations being used in decks. (other than unlimited.)

Crimzonlogic

I'm Batwoman.
Since there's a chansey coin, maybe we get a new version of the original chansey in this.

I'm really curious how these decks will be "random". Like, maybe a set number of energy, set number of trainers and set number of pokemon evolution sets/ex/breaks matching the energy type? A truly random bunch of cards would probably make an awful deck...

Blui

lv85 paladin
Absolutely legendary, you've outdone yourself Jon.

This product seems sweet, wish the US got starter packs like this as they can be pretty good.

Empoleon_master

I can stop watching Anime any time I don't want to
First of all whoever says there is no journalism in pokemon news should get slapped with a 50 page thick copy of this article printed out, secondly oh, look, WPM posted a list of websites I will now NEVER GO TO because fact checking is for losers, and thirdly #inb4 a news article states that pokemon is giving away a coupon for a free, gold plated puppy + metal coin and instruction manual with every purchase of a....$10 theme deck.

Shiny Xard

'Cuz why not.
I'm honestly a bit happy that the rumor won't come to be. The cards aren't even close to playbale in any format. People are just nostalgia-blind.

TheUltimateAbsol

Truth or Ideals? It's all Black and White to me
And no news source talked about exact reprints of coins? Come on, They are the bigger deal here.

EEVILMURRAY

Aspiring Trainer
Oh well, these things sadly do happen, whether it was simply a mix of misreading and wishful nostalgia or simply an attempt to grab views. Especially if the site is more popular than yours these things can spread very far very fast.

At least they added the é in Pokémon* (as well as the majority of the links you took text from). Might be something you want to look at in your future articles.

*Same goes for PokéBeach, even though the other article didn't mention your site.

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
I'm honestly a bit happy that the rumor won't come to be. The cards aren't even close to playbale in any format. People are just nostalgia-blind.

The trainers would be too playable and too OP. As for Pokemon, you're right, with the exception of Blastoise. Despite being inferior to Blastoise BCR, it would still be viable in Standard with Archie.

Zielo

Caught 'em all.
Thanks for clearing this up. Its been circulating around social media for the last couple of days, and the second I saw it I clicked my Pokebeach bookmark to see the latest news. I saw nothing about it, and my usual assumption is "If its not on Pokebeach, its probably not true". And sure enough, its not confirmed lol.

Although it WOULD be pretty cool for them to do something with the base set cards for an anniversary. Maybe update them to newer times, but keep all the original art. That or clean up the art to where they are all polished versions of the old cards, just like the reprinted Charmander like, Pikachu, Scyther, etc.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
I doubt any will have the original back. It seems like a few will be either new cards (which I'd imagine is likely the case) or pre-XY reprints (though there is ZERO hint of this beyond the nostalgic packaging).

I wish I could just state a few Base-era cards they could reprint (if they do). But Electabuzz is the only "safe" call. It was iconic in its era, it would still be somewhat useful (if we had an Electivire that didn't suck), and doesn't really have any details that would need to be changed. (Even now, not all our Lightnings have a Metal resistance.) I'd love to say Hitmonchan, but since BW, we've had several cards that were heavily based on (and better than) Hitmonchan, such as Sawk BW and BREAKthrough Hawlucha. I guess Venusaur/Charizard/Blastoise could work, though Charizard is pretty bad. I also don't like its Fighting resistance...

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I'm kind of disappointed that most of the deck will be recent reprints, but I can't help but get a good chuckle at all of the false rumours spreading around like wildfire.

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
The new Pokemon TCG starter pack sure garnered a lot of attention.

If they knew what this really was, no one would have posted the story. They were wrong, but their error made it newsworthy.

Requiemsvoid

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks for the heads up, I forwarded a link to this page on KotakuInAction as well as sent a PM to the mods of the Pokemon subreddit.

WrightJustice

Aspiring Trainer
Sadly still not seeing any corrections even with the news reveal, even /r/pokemon or /r/PKMNTCG don't seem to have the new news up.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Hats off to Pokebeach and WPM on this one!

As someone who is active in sociopolitical causes I can tell you the "real" news is not always what it's cracked up to be either.

Very well done here.

Clear

Birb is the Word
Can I just make another jaded point here?
This is the result of people's innate ability to move on from the insipid poison that is known as nostalgia. They did it because it was "trending", and (most) people want a feel good nostalgia story cause nostalgia is comforting.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
Great Research Pokebeach. I think the common thread in breaking news for the 2000's is to first break it than investigate it. In the old days, it was more in the reverse. Now a days credibility for news sources are very seldom held accountability for a sloppy job. I think this a very good example of keeping on target with pokebeach's message as a credible new source for pokemon.

I don't know when it happened, but at some point we just sort of accepted the Windows version of life. Release it, than fix it. It is sort of the new norm now in all ways of life. ---> If Aristotle was around, he would have a field day with our new line of thinking.

Great Job!

Saarebas

Aspiring Trainer
I had shared the Polygon article on fb to discuss with friends, but my first thought was "Pokebeach hasn't said anything tho..."

Well, we should be finding out more about the Generations packs soon, right? The first Mythical Pokemon Box comes out in February, which means we'll probably see them at Target in mid-January

Status
Not open for further replies.