New 'Premium Champion' Set, Blastoise Mega Battle Special Pack!

Javi Blizz

Spanish TCG Player
If all cards in the set are holo, it'll be easier to get a playset of holo-foil basic energies of every tipe :D

I wish it arrives here too. How many cards are in "Awakening of the Psychic Kings"? Maybe we'll receive both in a single expansion

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Wow, 131 cards is a huge set by Japanese standards! And all holo, too... something tells me this is going to be a pain to collect. :p

¥463 is almost 3 times the price of a regular Japanese booster pack MSRP (¥162), but then you're also getting double the cards (since a typical Japanese pack is only 5 cards) and all holo cards, so the price is more or less inline with what I'd expect. As a comparison, the other "special" Japanese sets like this that we've seen have retailed for around ¥200, but they still come with the smaller amount of cards per pack.

If all cards in the set are holo, it'll be easier to get a playset of holo-foil basic energies of every tipe :D

I wish it arrives here too. How many cards are in "Awakening of the Psychic Kings"? Maybe we'll receive both in a single expansion

XY10 is 78+SR/UR cards, so if it was combined with this new set for English release as one it would be over 200 cards in a single set, so I don't think that's quite likely.

kai88

THE Aspiring Trainer ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
That would be the best thing ever, considering the likely hood of this happening, as it is 131 cards, I don't think this will be a Japan only set! (Though I have been wrong before

Green778

It's always darkest before the dawn...
It seems the Pokemon Company us following the steps of other TCG franchises like Yugioh, which releases packs outside of the main series... I'm curious to finally see a Break Legendary...

Empoleon_master

I can stop watching Anime any time I don't want to
A set that will only be available at a tournament by people that fully attend it that is filled with holos and EXs and sunshine and puppies.....this will be interesting to watch the market explode.
steven colbert eating popcorn 3.gif

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
It seems the Pokemon Company us following the steps of other TCG franchises like Yugioh, which releases packs outside of the main series... I'm curious to finally see a Break Legendary...

This isn't anything new. They've been doing it regularly (as in, at least once per year) since Dragon Selection back in 2012, and there were even a few older special sets before then, too.

A set that will only be available at a tournament by people that fully attend it that is filled with holos and EXs and sunshine and puppies.....this will be interesting to watch the market explode.

The Blastoise pack is what's limited to the tournament, not the set itself.

Green778

This isn't anything new. They've been doing it regularly (as in, at least once per year) since Dragon Selection back in 2012, and there were even a few older special sets before then, too.

Hmmm, interesting. However, apart from Dragonvault, I can't recall anything to have ever come to the US/EU, TCG :p

Blui

lv85 paladin

It won't be Break Legendaries, it's just Breaks, EXs and Megas in the same set.

Seems neat, I think it'll just be a reprint set, based off the placeholder art.

EDIT: This could be whatever those "Generations" boosters are. That'd also be pretty sweet.

Green778

EDIT: This could be whatever those "Generations" boosters are. That'd also be pretty sweet.

It seems most likely. I expect something like a Legendary Treasures... :p

Empoleon_master

I can stop watching Anime any time I don't want to
It seems most likely. I expect something like a Legendary Treasures... :p
Oh, MY ARCEUS, they're already releasing the XY version of Call of Legends and Legendary Treasures! *cries* This was one of the best sets of formats we've had apart from that fiasco with toad, hammers, bats, and Lysandre's trump card...and seismitoad because screw seismitoad.

If you'll excuse me I'll be in by bed crying and writing a eulogy for these formats and sets now......noooooooooooooo!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Hmmm, interesting. However, apart from Dragonvault, I can't recall anything to have ever come to the US/EU, TCG :p

Dragon Selection and Double Crisis (the Team Magma/Aqua set) were both released as separate mini-set packs in English. Shiny Collection was released as a kind of subset within the English language Legendary Treasures set called Radiant Collection, the cards marked with RC before the numbers. The most recent, the Legendary Shine Collection, has been kind of split up; some were released in BREAKthrough as normal cards while others were made into Black Star promos, such as the EXes and Full Art Legendary cards that were included in the Pikachu-EX and Hoopa-EX Legendary Collection boxes. There's also the upcoming PokeKyun mini-set coming out in January, but we don't have any English distribution info about those cards at this time.

Green778

Oh, MY ARCEUS, they're already releasing the XY version of Call of Legends and Legendary Treasures! *cries* This was one of the best sets of formats we've had apart from that fiasco with toad, hammers, bats, and Lysandre's trump card...and seismitoad because screw seismitoad.

If you'll excuse me I'll be in by bed crying and writing a eulogy for these formats and sets now.....noooooooooooooo!

Well, I'm unsure about what the company has in its mind, but I believe it will be sth like it, so it can stall time to release Pokemon Z or Gen 7 with Z. (Anyway, I'm sure Gen 7 will be Gen 6's Z).

If you're interested in my opinion, Toad is a fine card. What makes it "the worst" is it pairs up greatly with disrupting cards, like Crushing Hammers, Enhanced, Grunt, Hypnotoxic Laser, etc. That's why in the current standard format Toad is below 1st tier. If those cards didn't exist the format would be a bless. But no, "we must have:" Ability blockers, Item blockers, energy removal cards, flare tools, etc."

Dragon Selection and Double Crisis (the Team Magma/Aqua set) were both released as separate mini-set packs in English. Shiny Collection was released as a kind of subset within the English language Legendary Treasures set called Radiant Collection, the cards marked with RC before the numbers. The most recent, the Legendary Shine Collection, has been kind of split up; some were released in BREAKthrough as normal cards while others were made into Black Star promos, such as the EXes and Full Art Legendary cards that were included in the Pikachu-EX and Hoopa-EX Legendary Collection boxes. There's also the upcoming PokeKyun mini-set coming out in January, but we don't have any English distribution info about those cards at this time.

Double Crisis, was a "mini-set." This time they're going for a Jumbo-size set. So, I suspect sth like Legendary Treasures. :p Also, I mentioned the connection with Yugioh, because Konami releases 90% of the time every set, core series or side, on TCG as well, apart from the OCG (japan). It would be a good way for Pokemon to learn through this policy, because it's really effective.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Yeah, it definitely is a large set (I'm so excited! :D) but I don't really think we can compare it to Legendary Treasures since that was 2 separate Japanese sets (EBB and Legendary Holo) combined into one, and aside from RC specifically containing the Legendary Holo cards I don't see any other connections. And because of the sheer size of this new side set I don't believe it'll be combined with a regular set like Legendary Treasures was because it would be simply ginormous. It's certainly possible that these cards will end up becoming the special "Generations" boosters in the monthly promo boxes for 2016 like Blui predicted, and that's the most likely estimate I've seen so far.

That said, I don't know anything about Yu-Gi-Oh, so I don't really know what you're getting at there. :p I can only compare it to what we've seen with Pokémon and speculate based on that.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
I don't really like it when all the cards in a set are holo (especially if its a 131 card set), cuz it kinda makes it less cool to pull a holo. But hey sounds like a fun set!

Because it appears to be such a massive set and because of the fact that it is being released as an "extra" set Im sort of inclined to believe that it is going to be something like Legendary Treasures (as many have pointed out).

Also, while it seems unlikely we'll get this and Rise of the Psychic Kings combined (partly cuz it'll be a nice money grab for TPCi to release them separately), I wouldn't totally discount it. We may just be in store for Aquapolis II haha.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Even Aquapolis wasn't over 200 cards. :p It is possible that TPCi could smoosh this set together with XY11 (I don't think they would combine with Psychic Kings/XY10 since that comes out 4 months before this set), I just think it's pretty unlikely.

TheWicky

Random and evil: first one, then the other
I'm really curious how/if they're going to mitigate FullArts for a set that's packed with Legendaries.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer

This.

To me, this seems like a reprint set, but I might be wrong... If this is a set of new cards (or even if it isn't), maybe it's a stall set (since it's a concept pack) until the next japanese set to coincide with the next game (it wouldn't be the first time they would do that). That would then explain the longer time period between japanese sets.
How this will translate to the western sets? The cards could be those Generations boosters like Blui said, or they could also use it to gain time if the next japanese set comes out later than usual...