Discussion A Defensive XY-on Meta

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I've really been able to dig deep with theorising these past weeks, while on vacation. One of the intriguing things I've been noticing is the amount of power PCL chooses to put on cards. Many cards have a base power that with Muscle Band is just enough to hit the 'magic numbers' of 170 and 180, or can 2-hit megas with two 120s.

When a format is all about hitting those KOs and damage outputs are often 'just enough', I reckon there is a lot of breathing space for more defensive decks. I'm think bringing out the Triple H: Hard Charms, Hammers and Healers. Forcing your opponent to miss the KO but 10 damage could not only net you a few more KOs, but give you a chance to set your opponent back significantly with things like Max Potion (Expanded), AZ and Super-Scoop Up.

So, what do you think? Is a defensive strategy a good call in this format? What Pokemon could be the best defensive players?

Vaultboy91

Aspiring Trainer
I don't know if they are viable as "defensive" attackers, but I was thinking either Machamp FUF or AT Metagross would be interesting attackers in a defensive deck. Machamp's attack lowers the damage of incoming attacks by 40, while Metagross' second attack lowers attacks by 20. They can both use Training Center to increase HP. Machamp can use Focus Sashes to survive any OHKO, and also gains offensive power by Machamp and Strong Energy. Metagross gets Double and can use Shield Energy. Metagross gets access to Steel Shelter, or it could also use Sparkling Robe along with a Hard Charm, and you can easily add a one of the non-AT Metagross to get free switches. In both decks you could minimize the opponent's damage by using Jamming Nets.
I think you could definitely make a defensive grass deck revolving around either non-AT Sceptile or Mega Sceptile as well as FLF Floette.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I was also looking at the Regigigas from PHF, actually, with it's Daunt attack that does 80 damage with a 40 damage reduction from incoming attacks. Rhyperior AT PRC also seems like it /could/ be useful, if one could set it up consistently. The problem with this sort of thing is the energy cost - three for 80 isn't going to get you anywhere much.

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
There was a rogue deck I made recently that used a 4-4 Aurorus line with a bunch of Big Basic water attackers, like Regice, Seismitoad EX, and the two Articuno's. With Hard Charms, Rough Seas, and it is truly hard to break once it is developed! The only issue is energy acceleration - the Hammers and Head Ringers just ruin it. :/

I also once did a deck pre-rotation that didn't work out, but I'd love to recreate: It had Furfrou XY, Regigigas, and Pangoro Promo, combined with a 4-1-4 Rhyperior line for the bench. It could really wall down attacks, and Rhyperior wasn't hard to develop, as a Korrina could easily get you the resources. I might switch Pangoro with Machamp-EX, and redevelop the deck.

I just can't wait for that Assult Vest to come out...

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
How consistent was the Aurorus? It's something I'd like to try but I'm a bit afraid of a lack of consistency.

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
The trick to Aurorus is to have at least 3 Fossil Researcher in your deck, and to not worry about other evolutions to develop - high HP basic attackers only. Streaming Aurorus is not too difficult, as long as you run 4 Dive Ball, get the Researcher out early, and stall opponents with Head Ringers and a variety of energy removers.

I might post a deck list in the garage to show my version if you wish.

Vaultboy91

Aspiring Trainer
I was also looking at the Regigigas from PHF, actually, with it's Daunt attack that does 80 damage with a 40 damage reduction from incoming attacks. Rhyperior AT PRC also seems like it /could/ be useful, if one could set it up consistently. The problem with this sort of thing is the energy cost - three for 80 isn't going to get you anywhere much.

I was thinking AT Rhyperior would be a fun Pokemon to use also. I had thought of trying to combine it with Maxie's and FUF Machamp. Or trying to run it in its own deck. Having 160 HP, Barrier, and its ability all make for a potentially useful defensive Pokemon.

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
Entei (with the ancient trait) has flame screen. 30 damage (RC) and it reduces damage by 30 the next turn. The ancient trait is the one that lets you attach 2 tools so you can reduce up to 70 with 2 hard charm. An upcoming Mewtwo EX has a similar attack for a dce.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I prefer defensive play style decks but with all the overpowered cards, and defensive card aid these Pokemon that look for OHKOs more. The card games needs an overhaul before any cards do show up like that.

poke4trade

Raising Ash

I run a 4 line Regigas 3-3 bronzor/bronzong a 2 lugia, 2 agaslash, 2 shaymin and it works pretty good.

The deck doesn't work with a deffensive operation, but I think you could really turn it into that if you took out lugia and added dialga and switched around some trainers.

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
What about instead of bronzong. Add in a sceptile AT to heal 30 per drop. With a few jynx or healing items. It could turn 2HKO into a 3 or 4.

ejorange

Aspiring Trainer
I've used the phantom forces Liepard with rhyperior. It ends up being a stall/mill deck with very few wins, but it's fun to see the opponent's yveltal EX with 3 energy and a muscle band doing 0 to you

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
In Standard play Startling Megaphone doesn't see as much play as it did in previous formats. This makes Focus Sash a really good play and is one of the factors in Mienshao being as good as it is right now. Any fighting deck can make use of Focus Sash and go for a more defensive play. Even just Hawlucha being a 2HKO can be a scary thing to face.

Next set we get Assault Vest to further add to defense, but between that and Float Stone, Megaphone might start seeing more play so we will just have to see.