Fighting Variants (Landorus EX / Hawlucha)

It's a better prize trade off, and you only need 4 in the discard plus a muscle band for a KO. After the first Pumpkaboo knock out, you only need the discarded Night Marchers for OHKO. What I'm trying to say is that the resources needed are minimal and prizes are in your favor as the Marcher.

Ironman131 said:
Its a 60hp pokemon, it wont be that difficult to deal with. And that is only one pokemon.

They play 4 Pumpkaboo and it resists fighting... They have a good prize trade too. Night March is only one matchup though as other things are not going to "tech a Pumkaboo".

Yes I know that Pumkaboo could still do damage to Lucario EX but as you said that is only one matchup, almost every other matchup will be fine.

What you guys think about Hippowdon PC? I'm playing it in my LGS and it's kinda awesome. Don't know why people don't use it so much...

What you guys think about Hippowdon PC? I'm playing it in my LGS and it's kinda awesome. Don't know why people don't use it so much...

If I recall correctly, Hippowodon got a top eight at a States. I think it's interesting Fire. Since the Safeguard effect comes from its attack rather than na Ability, not even Garbodor can shut it down, so it can only be touched by non-EX or Shred attacks. With LTC banned and Seismitoad losing power, it should perform well agaimst EX-heavy decks, but could struggle with Night March and other primarily non-EX ones. Resistance Desert sure is cool, but it's big or miss. With the three energy cost, you won't be trading prizes with anything that can one-shot Hippowdon.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, Hippowodon got a top eight at a States. I think it's interesting Fire. Since the Safeguard effect comes from its attack rather than na Ability, not even Garbodor can shut it down, so it can only be touched by non-EX or Shred attacks. With LTC banned and Seismitoad losing power, it should perform well again EX-heavy decks, but could struggle with Night March and other primarily non-EX ones. Resistance Desert sure is cool, but it's big or miss. With the three energy cost, you won't be trading prizes with anything that can one-shot Hippowdon.
Like my M Latios and bats?

Anyways, at least of now, there aren't too many Shred attackers that will survive the most likely rotation. Hydreigon EX comes to mind but it can't OHKO Hippowdon. I can't think of any other good partners to pair Hippowdon with other than Hawlucha from Furious Fists.

Problems Hippowdon faces:

-Lack of good energy acceleration. He's not a Mega so he can't use Mega Turbo. Landorus is a horrible way to accelerate energy onto him

-Nothing to wall behind while setting up

-Sucks

Like my M Latios and bats?

Anyways, at least of now, there aren't too many Shred attackers that will survive the most likely rotation. Hydreigon EX comes to mind but it can't OHKO Hippowdon. I can't think of any other good partners to pair Hippowdon with other than Hawlucha from Furious Fists.

Problems Hippowdon faces:

-Lack of good energy acceleration. He's not a Mega so he can't use Mega Turbo. Landorus is a horrible way to accelerate energy onto him

-Nothing to wall behind while setting up

-Sucks

My perspective is in regard to the current format that we'll be seeing for Nationals and Worlds, unless tPCI decides to ban anything else. I should probably put this in every post I make until September. I'm not even thinking about rotation yet as I have major event(s) to worry about before it hits.

Resistance Desert requires only a Fighting and a DCE, so that's two turns of attaching to a benched Pokemon before you begin. The trick is surviving that, which is easier againt some deck than others. Once you have your Resistance Desert going, you should be able to power through every Rayquaza, Seismitoad, Manectric, whatever you see. The issue is getting Hippopotas Lysandred out before you get your energy on and evolve.

The reason I wouldnt play Hippowdon is not problems setting up but rather the state of the meta itself. Non-EX decks, or even snipe hitters like your Latios/ Bats example don't mix well with Hippowdon. That's why I said its a hit or miss. Due to that lack of energy acceleration you simply cannot trade prizes with anything that you can't deny prizes from. I wouldn't say that Hippowdon "sucks" but the meta I am expecting in the coming weeks won't make it a reliable play. It certainly did take a lot of people by surprise when it topped a States, but if you recall the Seismitoad and Primal heavy meta of that period, we can see why it worked then.

Last edited:
Back