Pokemon TCG Sold Record 9.1 Billion Cards in 2021!
Pokemon has released its latest figures report, revealing a record 9.1 billion Pokemon cards were produced from March 2021 to March 2022! This is the second year in a row Pokemon has broken its annual record. 3.7 billion cards were produced the year before (during 2020’s pandemic), which means 2021 saw a 246% increase.
Last year I speculated the number of cards would have been higher were it not for printing shortages caused by the pandemic. Anecdotally it seems TPCi has now navigated some of those pandemic constraints. With their recent acquisition of Millennium Print Group, next year’s numbers should be higher as they will be better able to meet demand.
Over 43.2 billion Pokemon cards have been produced worldwide as of March 2022. Here are the reports I’ve received from Pokemon since starting PokeBeach in 2003:
- As of March 2022: Over 43.2 billion cards worldwide in 13 languages and 77 areas
- March 2021: Over 34.1 billion cards worldwide in 13 languages and 77 areas
- March 2020: Over 30.4 billion cards worldwide in 13 languages and 77 areas
- September 2019: Over 28.8 billion cards worldwide in 13 languages and 77 areas
- March 2019: Over 27.2 billion cards worldwide in 12 languages and 77 countries and regions
- March 2018: Over 25.7 billion cards worldwide in 11 languages and 74 countries and regions
- March 2017: Over 23.6 billion cards worldwide in 11 languages and 74 countries and regions
- Between 2014 and 2016: Over 21.5 billion cards worldwide in 10 languages and 74 countries and regions
- Between 2004 and 2010: Over 14 billion cards worldwide in 30-40 countries
As I’ve reported before, it doesn’t seem Pokemon kept accurate records for the total number of cards they printed before 2017. However, it’s likely the reported change in totals from year to year is now accurate.