Examining the Standard Format Metagame — Online Edition
Finally we’ve got Rebel Clash online, ready to go, and being used in events online. A recent online event, which I played in, boasted over one-thousand players competing! Today we’ll delve into the results from this event and pave the way to preparing for the next one. Going in, here were a few of my expectations and predictions prior to the event I played this weekend.
Expectations and Results
- Arceus and Dialga and Palkia-GX / Spiritomb is the best deck and poised to do very well.
- Baby Blacephalon is still a great play, but suffers from the same “bad hands” that happen from time to time.
- Control/Mill decks such as Cinccino are dead with the legality of Boss's Orders .
- Dragapult VMAX is somewhat overhyped and will not do great.
- Pikachu and Zekrom-GX will be the most popular deck.
The Spiritomb variant of Arceus and Dialga and Palkia-GX / Spiritomb was definitely not the play, nor did it perform amazingly well. At a recent online event, I went 8/5/0 with it. While Spiritomb hits Dragapult VMAX hard, its no Zacian V, and doesn’t draw nearly as well as you’d like in tight situations. Blacephalon showed up in full force and even cracked the Top 8 of this event; it’s still at the top of the pack. Control/Mill decks actually still have a chance and some made the Top 4. Dragapult VMAX is not overhyped and did fairly well with a Top 8 spot and a birth in the Top Four. Of my predictions, the only one I very clearly nailed was the popularity of Pikachu and Zekrom-GX; there were 39 in day two alone! Let’s start with significant numbers:
- Pikachu and Zekrom-GX: 39 Day 2 / Four Top 8
- Baby Blacephalon: 24 Day 2 / One Top 8
- Dragapult VMAX: 22 Day 2 / Two Top 8
- Arceus and Dialga and Palkia-GX / Zacian V: 13 Day 2
- Arceus and Dialga and Palkia-GX / Spiritomb: Six Day 2
- Straight Zacian V: Six Day 2
- Galarian Obstagoon: Five Day 2
- Mewtwo and Mew-GX / Welder: Five Day 2
- Cinccino Control/Mill: Four Day 2 / One Top 8
- Boltund V : Four Day 2
- Reshiram and Charizard-GX / Welder Toolbox: Three Day 2
- Rillaboom VMAX: Three Day 2
- Lucario and Melmetal-GX / Zacian V: Two Day 2
- Mewtwo and Mew-GX / Solgaleo-GX: Two Day 2
- Toxtricity VMAX : Two Day 2
- Other: Nine Day 2
Pikachu and Zekrom-GX was by far the most successful deck. Most people predicted it would be popular, but did they also think it would win? I thought it would be in great numbers, but not the winning deck per se. It sure showed me; this deck is now a must-beat and needs to be on everyone’s radar. If you can’t beat ’em, join them!
Pikachu and Zekrom-GX
This concludes the public portion of this article.
If you'd like to continue reading, consider purchasing a PokeBeach premium membership! If you're not completely satisfied with your membership, you can request a full refund within 30 days.
Each week we post high-quality content from some of the game's top players. Our article program isn't a corporate operation, advertising front, or for-profit business. We set our prices so that we can pay the game's top players to write the best content for our subscribers. Each article topic is carefully selected, goes through multiple drafts, and is touched up by our editors. We take great pride in our program!