TPCi has sent out a press release describing some of the basic features of Pokemon GO. Here is all of the essential information:
- As you move around, your smartphone will vibrate to let you know you’re near a Pokémon. Once you’ve encountered a Pokémon, take aim on your smartphone’s touch screen and throw a Poké Ball to catch it. Be careful when you try to catch it, or it might run away!
- Poké Balls and other special items can be found at PokéStops located at interesting real-world places such as public art installations, historical markers, and monuments.
- As players progress through Pokémon GO, their Trainer level will increase, enabling them to capture more-powerful Pokémon to complete their Pokédex. You’ll also have access to more powerful items, such as Great Balls, to give you a better shot at catching Pokémon. Keep exploring and encountering Pokémon to raise your level!
- Some Pokémon can be evolved if the same species is caught on multiple occasions. If you catch the same species of Pokémon enough times, you’ll get the opportunity to evolve one of them.
- During gameplay, Pokémon GO players will be encouraged to join one of three teams and engage in Gym battles with other teams. Once they have joined a team, players will have the ability to assign their Pokémon to empty Gyms. Like PokéStops, Gyms can be found at real locations in the world, and because only one Pokémon per player can be placed at a given Gym, team members will need to work together to build a strong defense. A Gym claimed by one team can be challenged by the other two teams.
- Pokémon Eggs, which can be found at PokéStops, will hatch after players walk a certain distance. When they hatch, you may find Pokémon you’ve never seen before!
- Players will be able to impress their friends by unlocking achievement medals that are earned by completing a variety of challenges. A wide variety of challenges are available that highlight many different categories, such as catching Pokémon and exploration. By completing these challenges, you’ll unlock achievement medals that will appear in your player profile. Try your best to unlock as many medals as you can!