• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Zoroark GX/Oranguru

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Hey everyone, it has been a while since I've posted a list here in the Deck Garage, but I wanted to see what everyone thought about this list I've been working on. Being a Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX veteran, I've been looking for a deck with an element of control similar to what Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX provided but one that could also hold its own against the Standard meta (Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX is a great deck, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that it can keep up with decks like Lucario GX and Buzzwole GX since Zoroark GX is your main attacker). Personally, I think Zoroark GX/Oranguru can be a competitive deck under the right circumstances, so let me know what you think of my list!

I give a special shoutout to Zachary Lesage for the great deck idea, so check out his article featuring Zoroark GX/Oranguru posted here on Pokebeach!

Zoroark GX/Oranguru--------------------------------------------------------------------------

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 3 Oranguru UPR 114
* 4 Zorua BKT 89
* 4 Zoroark-GX SLG 53
* 1 Sudowoodo GRI 66
* 1 Mew-EX LTR 139
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137

##Trainer Cards - 38

* 3 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 1 Plumeria BUS 120
* 3 N FCO 105
* 1 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 3 Brigette BKT 134
* 1 Evosoda XY 116
* 1 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Team Rocket's Handiwork FCO 112
* 4 Crushing Hammer SUM 115
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 1 Max Potion BKP 103

##Energy - 7

* 3 Darkness Energy XYEnergy 1
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Strategy----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I was asked to explain what decks Zoroark GX/Oranguru were similar to, I would say that it is a mix between Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX and Quad Sylveon GX being a highly disruptive and control style deck. To further explain this, the point of the deck is to deny your opponent energy with cards like Crushing Hammer and Enhanced Hammer while recycling them with Oranguru. Once you have your opponent close to or already out of energy (which at that point you've most likely already won), you start to apply pressure with Zoroark GX by taking two-hit K.O.s with Riotous Beating (and the occasional Trickster GX). Cards like Fighting Fury Belt are great for preventing the OHKO on Oranguru so you can utilize cards like Max Potion or Acerola.

Card Choices---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sudowoodo (GRI): This is one tech that I think works really well in this deck. One problem I have is that if your playing against a Zoroark GX variant, all they need is a Field Blower to remove both a Fighting Fury Belt and a Parallel City in one sweep. While I know this is still hard for Zoroark GX players to pull off (not to mention having to refill their bench and find a DCE), Sudowoodo allows me to add an extra layer of disruption for my opponent to try and get out of (and it can't be shut off by a Field Blower).

Max Potion (GRI): With Acerola originally being my only way of "healing", I think that a single copy of Max Potion allows me to have a similar effect as an Item (so I can use a different Supporter if I want). If your worried about discarding energy, Oranguru can easily shuffle it back in to be reused (along with the Max Potion).

Plumeria (BUS): Relying on the coin flips of Crushing Hammer can sometimes lead you to having unlucky games, so a backup guarantee energy denial option is always a great asset. Anyways, if you don't need it, you can always Trade it away (and shuffle it back in with Oranguru if needed once again).

Matchups---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a good amount of bad matchups for Zoroark GX/Oranguru (which there is for really any deck), but along with that are good matchups as well. If I were to pinpoint any extremely bad matchups, I would have to say energy acceleration (such as VikaBulu and Dusk Mane Necrozma GX/Magnezone) can be rough along with Gardevoir GX variants and the occasional Silvally GX variant. All I would suggest is to try and hold your opponent back for as long as possible while forcing them to find energy and take one prize per turn and then hit them with an unexpected N. If you can add some energy denial on the same turn, that would really put your opponent in a rough spot to which you can begin to take advantage of. Buzzwole GX and Lucario GX can be a pain, but if you play your cards right (literally), you can maneuver yourself into a winning position. Besides that, there isn't too much that can withstand the disruption (especially Zoroark GX variants), so I have high hopes for the deck in the near future (unless Zygarde GX gets really popular, which it probably will ;)).

Conclusion---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that concludes my deck explanation on Zoroark GX/Oranguru, if you have any questions or thoughts, feel free to let me know. All ideas would be greatly appreciated, I'd be interested in hearing everyone's opinion on this!

Thanks!
~FrostBiter12

Last edited:
I wouldnt call your variant "High Control", you have hardly any disruption besides hammers.

Ive found 1-2 Plumeria to be clutch at times.
Also I would bump TRHW to a count of 2.

I wouldnt call your variant "High Control", you have hardly any disruption besides hammers.

Ive found 1-2 Plumeria to be clutch at times.
Also I would bump TRHW to a count of 2.

Hey @AFEX!

I don't think that I quite understand the first statement since Zoroark GX/Oranguru is a really high control deck (in my opinion) due to the fact that you control your opponent's moves by manipulating their field (bench space and energy are the main ones). I find that a control deck is one more focused on your opponent's side of the field when it comes to forcing your opponent to find ways out of locks or corners that you put them into (for instance, Drampa GX/Garbodor in Expanded is a control deck even though it doesn't play Crushing Hammer). Granted, I do think that Zoroark GX/Oranguru has more similarities to Mill decks than most control decks (which is why I said this deck is a mix between Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX and Sylveon GX), but that doesn't mean it is always acts like a mill deck (energy denial is a better way of describing it). If you could further explain your reasoning concerning the deck type of Zoroark GX/Oranguru (like what you think it is instead and why you think so) it would be greatly appreciated. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this!

I've been using Team Flare Grunt recently since the added effect on Plumeria means that you have to discard two cards from your hand, but being able to guarantee a discard on your opponent's bench can be really helpful. Anyways, I can always shuffle the discarded cards back into the deck with Oranguru again.

As for the Team Rocket's Handiwork count, I think that one is good enough, especially since I don't use it very often (most of the time if I'm in a position where I can use Team Rocket's Handiwork, I'm attacking with Zoroark GX. This means that I can't reuse Team Rocket's Handiwork until I find a double Puzzle {which I would rather use to grab something else in most cases) or until I'm attacking with Oranguru again {which means that I probably need to start using energy denial once more}).

Taking some of the things you've mentioned and testing on my part into account, here are some changes to the list:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-1 Team Flare Grunt
-1 Enhanced Hammer

+1 Plumeria
+1 Guzma

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've found that being able to Guzma up my opponent's draw support option such as Octillery (BKT) or Oranguru (SUM) and the using N is a great way to leave your opponent with little to nothing concerning draw support. At that time, I usually begin to discard energy or apply even more pressure with Zoroark GX. One extra Guzma allows me to pull off these plays more consistently and not worrying about prizing my only one.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions @AFEX, let me know if you have any more!

Thanks!
~FrostBiter12

You kept saying shuffle in the description, but there's relatively few ways to shuffle in the deck. How are you getting the stuff back that Oranguru recycles?

You kept saying shuffle in the description, but there's relatively few ways to shuffle in the deck. How are you getting the stuff back that Oranguru recycles?

Zoro trades, mallow (if he runs any).

Trade won't get you to the bottom of your deck though and currently there's no Mallows. Currently there's just the Cynthia + Ns and Ultra Balls mainly to force a shuffle since no Looker to grab the ones you stacked with Oranguru

Trade won't get you to the bottom of your deck though and currently there's no Mallows. Currently there's just the Cynthia + Ns and Ultra Balls mainly to force a shuffle since no Looker to grab the ones you stacked with Oranguru

UBalls usually are goid enough. It can also be reliant on your opponent using N, Wicke, etc.

Hey @noodle!

By shuffle, I'm pretty sure that I meant "shuffle" back into the deck with Oranguru, but the problem you mentioned is something that I've been working on. Usually, when it comes to decks like this, you want to plan for this turn and the next turn, so I don't always need to immediately search my deck for the cards I've shuffled back in. If I do, then I plan to get a shuffle card like Ultra Ball or Rescue Stretcher beforehand. One scenario that does repeatedly happens is that I technically "deck myself out" by using Trade so many times and discarding so many resources. At that point I shuffle back in any three cards I want with Oranguru and draw back into them with Trade (since there are only three cards left in deck). This is something I try to aim for in every game (except against Mill decks, but I win against them anyways) since I can repeatedly remove all of my opponent's energy until I'm in a winning position.

Hey @AFEX!

The reason I don't run Mallow is because if I play my cards right (literally), I can plan for the next turn and reduce the need for the cards on the bottom of my deck. Also, I'm mainly using cards like Plumeria, Guzma, Acerola, etc. every turn to disrupt my opponent's field (N is probably my main draw supporter though, so I think I might what a fourth, not sure just yet). Mallow isn't necessary, though it isn't a card I wouldn't mind playing either. I just find it has less effect in a deck where I can plan for the next turn without having to use Mallow every turn.

Anyways, if something I've said doesn't make sense, feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to clarify!

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12

Back