• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

'Zard(Charizard AR)

XFlameMasterX

Aspiring Trainer
Manz: 23
4-2-4 'Zard AR{R}
2-2-2 Typh HGSS{R}
3-2 'Tales HGSS(2 Shiny, 1 PL){R}
1 Spiritomb AR{D}
1 Uxie LA{P}

T/S/S/: 25
3 Candy
3 Communication
2 Belt
1 Lux Ball
3 Bebe's
4 Collector
2 Seeker
2 PONT
1 Fisherman
1 Palmer's
3 BTS

Jonz: 12
12{R}

Strategy: Typical 'Zard strategy...but now with a twist! Spiritomb is merely a tech. If I'm not facing trainer lock, I start with Vulpix then proceed as normal. If I'm facing trainer lock and don't start with Spiritomb, search for it, and then set up as normal. Ninetales for draw, Typhlosion for energy recovery, Uxie for additional draw, and 'Zard is my face-melter.

I think it looks good, only thing i can say is maybe replace call for rescue or 2 call 2 rescue. But thats something small and just a personal preference. I assume seeker is to pick up an injured charizard? since 'zard has 3 retreat cost maybe add some warp point/warp energy. Also think about 3 tombs dont know what youd take out but it does halp.

GL!

You're not running with Spiritomb AR? o_O I run 4 in my deck and its amazing. It does take space in bench sometimes, but thats where seeker comes to play.

I'm thinking of removing both Seeker for a Twins and a Blackbelt. My thoughts are that Seeker are less useful at healing Zard because of his high 3 retreat cost, and since I no longer run Uxie, that use is phased out as well. Hopefully with a 1 Twins and 1 Blackbelt I have both for when I really need them(as opposed to running 2 of one and none of the other). Thoughts?

3 Unown Q's?
But in all seriousness, Charizard isn't really meant to retreat. I guess in an emergency you could pay it, then Afterburn stuff back on, but facing trainer lock Warp Points and the like would be useless anyways. I suppose I could also get rid of my 2 Seekers and replace them with Twins for that exact reason.

I know you don't want to hear this, but you NEED 1-2 uxie. Let me ask you a hypothetical question. What do you do when you start with junk and the only search card you have is a random lux ball/communication? Now let me answer that question. Get an Uxie. Now, I am perfectly aware that it cuts down your damage, but Uxie wins games, and that's all there is to it.

-sillykyle!

Also consider engineers adjustments for a draw engine
discard an energy to draw 4 cards, and you already have something that draws energy out of discard. Wont need to waste SSU / Seekers on your uxie for draw power

@Sillykyle!: I have no problem with Uxie. In fact, I included it in my original build. People seemed to be in favor of me removing it, so I ditched it for other cards at the time. I'm more than willing to put it back in(in fact I'd prefer it) but don't know what to take out. My main concern right now is being able to set up under trainer lock, and getting a 'Zard out by T2 at the latest.

@cole'a: EA is unnecessary with Ninetales, although if for whatever reason I removed Ninetales, EA would work.

Well I have a friend who plays this deck very successfully and he runs call energy to help set up under trainer lock as well as warp energy to switch out Typhlosion if it gets dragged up or to switch out 'zard after it takes a hit.

-sillykyle!

What do people do with this in the Gyarados matchup? I'm probably "stuck" running this for states due to nothing else being finished (may still run Toolbox Vees and be REALLY rogue) and I'm really not sure how to proceed vs gyarados. I tested 5 matches last night and played four turns all night, using a list almost identical to the one above with the tombs.

Heh heh....sillykyle! said I was his friend. =)

I suggest that you drop the 2 Seeker because I don't see much of a use for them in your deck without Uxie or Warp Energy, though I do like the idea of Warp Energy+Seeker, I've never been able to find the space for it myself. You may also want to try Judge over PONT because the more you slow your opponent down the more time you have to setup. Judge can also be incredible in the SP matchup. sillykyle!'s can be my witness for that statment. =P
I do really like the look of your list though. The only other things I could suggest are: Think about adding another Quilava, and if you're ever tight on space, you can consider dropping one Spiritomb. I would probably comment on Infernape 4 Lv.X, but I have never tested it myself so I wouldn't know.

In short, consider:
-2 PONT
-2 Seeker
-1 Spiritomb
+2-3 Judge
+1 Quilava
+1 Pokemon Collector
+1 Bebe's Search/Twins
+1-2 Uxie (I completely forgot about this :/)

I'm not necessarily saying you should make all of those changes, I'm just telling you to think about them. The Bebe's, Collector, and Twins are just in case you have consistency problems. (I have them a lot) I have decided consistency is one of the hardest thing to have with this deck, but is probably the most important. Lol, I said a lot more then I thought I was going to. xD

Oh yeah,
@sillykyle!: Just so you know, the Call Energy were for more consistent starts, they didn't really have anything to do with trainer lock.
I'm now considering Rescue Energy over them, and playing 4 Pokemon Collecter.;)

I currently play 4 Call, even though they aren't on my list. This list is the direction I want to go with the deck.

Things I want to add to my actual deck:
-Spiritomb
-Twins
-1 Uxie
-1 more Charmeleon(I currently run 4-2-4)
-Warp Possibly
The only thing that prevents me from keeping Call/running Warp is the fact that the {R} energy is my draw power. I don't want to drop too many and risk not having 1-2 to discard every turn.

**EDIT: My list now reflects my CURRENT decklist.**

I don't see what the purpose is of Infernape LV. X in this deck but I assume you'll explain it to me...

-1 - 1 Infernape LV. X
-4 Call Energy
-1 Pokemon Communication
+1 Charmeleon
+1 - 1 Ninetales (Shiny Vulpixes I assume)
+1 Uxie LA (2 Seeker)
+1 Rare Candy
+1 Broken Time Space
+1 Fisherman

Infernape is here for disruption, and for damage that doesn't depend on your bench. 2 energy is nothing with typhlosion around. It's useful for shoving tombs out of your way, etc.

Another thing to note: if you're stuck between Judge and PONT, run Looker's. I still say it's a much better card than people give it credit for, giving you a (small) new hand, or disrupting your opponent while keeping your hand fresh. Plus, you can see if he even needs disrupting!

I still see no mention of the gyarados matchup.

Charizard can survive a belted Gyarados as long as Zard is belted, while Gyarados can't survive a belted Charizard even with the Expert Belt. If the Charizard player uses Tomb, it makes it very difficult for the Gyarados player to set up, and forces them to Regi-move it out of the way(in response you'd just have another Tomb on the bench if you knew you were facing Gyarados).

Gyarados is no doubt a difficult match-up, but I think Charizard has a very good chance of beating it. Right now, I'm more concerned with getting my deck to set up in general, rather than trying to figure out how to win specific matches.

EDIT: Changed deck up a bit again. Added Uxie back in(don't think I'm ever taking it out again) and also added a 4th Collector.

I don't know many gyarados lists that still run luke gl. I'm sure some still do, but zard is a dead deck and the only fire in the format - I doubt I would tech it in myself, Zard is still a very advantageous matchup to the much faster gyarados deck.

@Afro-G: Fine. Pick at my choice of words. Anyway, I do have to second the statement about judge, as it really feels like every time I FINALLY topdeck that Cyrus... You judge me. >_>

-sillykyle!

P.S. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why I called you my friend... :p :p :p :p

Back