Help YveltalEX vs. Night March

Luis Rodriguez

Aspiring Trainer
How do i beat Night March with an YveltalEX deck in expanded?, I need some tips and strategies. The matchup seems horrible on paper and i don't have enough time to practice the matchup for the next league tournament.

Also, remember to start with an Yveltal (Oblivion Wing) since it can 1HKO the Joltik and Pumpkaboo. I also try to keep the Dimension Valley Stadium out of play too with my own Stadium and/or Delinquent.

I'm going to agree with wat people said about Karen, really, it's a great card for the matchup. Also play Enhanced hammers to knock off Energy or smashing in 1 Seismitoad-EX can help. I know siesmitoad sounds funky, but I've actually seen it played in quite a bit of expanded dark bird decks. It can work.

How do i beat Night March with an YveltalEX deck in expanded?, I need some tips and strategies. The matchup seems horrible on paper and i don't have enough time to practice the matchup for the next league tournament.

Depending upon how you think it looks, it isn't as bad or isn't anywhere near as bad as you think. ;)

I know about it from both sides; I am not the greatest player. On a global scale, I'm definitely below average. At the same time, while so many were complaining how unbeatable Night March was in prior formats, I would both
  • Lose with it some of the time
  • Win against it with stuff like Yveltal-EX
The best advice - as is often the case - "DON'T PANIC".
  1. All the truths of general tournament play apply. No deck is completely devoid of skill or luck, and no player is devoid of luck either (skill might be another matter). Just because Player 1 and Player 2 are each using decks with a 50-50 matchup against each other, doesn't mean they have even chances of winning. The real matchup might skew in any direction, based on each person's skill playing in a tournament setting, deck build quality, luck, and miscellaneous factors that kind of fit elsewhere, but not neatly. Examples would be personal history and current health status.
  2. Now we get to specifics. Night March has a lot of moving pieces. It is one of those decks that seem simple, but it is deceptive. The fundamental concept is simple; dump Night Marchers, take 6 Prizes (or win by Bench Out). Proper risk assessment with what you pitch from the deck (a lot of its cards require discarding), which Night Marchers to focus on, etc. create a massive chain of decisions where, even if each link is simple, by the end there are too many places to make the wrong call for it not to be at least a little complex. This still applies to many decks, but yeah, there are a lot of ways to exploit Night March because of this. S'kind of like knowing not only how to punch, but where, in fisticuffs.
  3. The original Yveltal is your friend. You may not have room for many, but realize its a champ when it comes to the Night March matchup. Yes, it is still an easy OHKO. What makes it important is what others have said; OHKO Joltik and Pumpkaboo with easy for one Energy, while giving up only one Prize.
  4. Night March does usually contain Pokémon-EX (and maybe Pokémon-GX, now). If you can't (or run out of) 1 Prize for 1 Prize trades, focus on taking out stuff like Shaymin-EX or Mew-EX instead. Yeah, that latter is much less common now, but especially in Expanded, Mew-EX is a bit too important to skip because it can copy from your opponent's Pokémon as well. I know some folks swear by Oranguru, but I don't think you can skip Shaymin-EX entirely for a competitive build.
  5. At the same time, pay attention to your opponent's resources. Ignoring Karen for a bit, knowing how to make them work to keep attackers and Energy flowing is another chink in the deck's metaphorical armor. That whole "favorable Prize trade" thing only works if they never whiff on a KO. Assuming you aren't whiffing as well, anyway. ;) Most decks can't get by without dumping at least some or all of either Joltik and Pumpkaboo.
  6. Don't forget your fundamentals: Yveltal-EX decks usually have something they can field that gives them an edge beatdown deck versus beatdown deck. Archeops may not do you any good, but Gallade or Garbodor often will. Same for clutch Energy removal, healing, etc.
  7. TecH: Seismitoad-EX (handy for multiple matchups), Karen, and Darkrai-EX (preferably the original). Actually, you should already have one Darkrai-EX w/"Dark Cloak", so like baby Yveltal, it is about adding an extra.

Including what the above posters are saying, Night March has to balance attackers and stuff in their discard so KOing more that 1 mon per turn can really thrown them off. Night Spear Darkrai EX is a good mon to prioritize powering up for that reason and can OHKO any active mon they have and a Joltik on bench. With a Fighting Fury Belt Darkrai also gets enough HP to force your opponent to commit to more Night Marchers in the discard (resistance to psychic helps as well).

Back