• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Yveltal EX / Zoroark / Gallade (without Shaymin)

PlinfaTheBest

Plinfa means Piplup in German!
Hey everyone,

I was recently building a Yveltal/Zoroark/Gallade deck list and I hope you can help me a little bit. As the title says, I don't own any Shaymin neither plan to buy some. That's why I left them out, I know they would help, but they are too expensive for me. Anyway, here is my list.

Pokémon: 16
  • 3 Yveltal XY
  • 2 Yveltal EX
  • 2 Zorua (Moonless Madness)
  • 2 Zoroark
  • 1 Zoroark BREAK
  • 2 Gallade
  • 2 Unown
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 32
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick
  • 1 Judge
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Trainer's Mail
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Acro Bike
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Parallel City
Energy: 12
  • 8 Darkness Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Strategy:

The strategy should be pretty simple, it's the standard strategy of this deck: get energy onto Yveltal EX and start attacking. Zoroark is used for retreating and provides as an alternative attacker, so does his BREAK. Gallade is the backup in case you go against a lightning deck (Manectric) while it also provides nice support with his ability.

Thanks for helping me
PlinfaTheBest

Last edited:
Reserved Ticket only have a 50% chance of success IF you are not Item-locked (then they become "dead" cards). Have you considered replacing 2 RTs with another Octillery and Remoraid? A 2-2 Octillery would greatly improve your chances of of having at least 1 Octillery available.

Another option I've seen is running 4 Acro Bike. In this particular case, these would replace all of your Reserved Tickets. And should you replace all of your Reserved Tickets with Acro Bikes, your setup becomes faster, and you'll probably not need 4 Battle Compressors (maybe only 2). You could replace 1-2 Battle Compressors with other cards, e.g. either an additional 1-1 Octillery line or 2 Shauna/Professor's Birch Observations.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

The big problem I see is having an evolution line in a Maxie's deck. Some of your stage 1's and Breaks may end up discarded if you are always going to Maxie Gallade. 1-1 Octillery doesn't seem to have a chance of helping you. 4 Unown is very good in Maxie's or Archie's decks. You can play them onto your bench, do the trick, then redeem the extra card from Farewell letter without the vulnerability to item lock, which will cripple your chances of completing the trick anyway. I would not remove any battle compressors, since your chances of getting Gallade out with Maxie on turn 1 or 2 are greatly increased with the maximum Battle Compresor / VS Seeker count, since the two of them in your first hand virtually gaurantees the conversion. In Maxie's decks I have also used 2-3 copies of Maintenance, which can allow you to reshuffle VS Seekers which you might be in the unfortunate position of having to discard in order to do the Hidden Ball Trick.
I am going to be trying this deck myself, without the Break, since I do not want to have to many evolving pokemon in the way of the Trick. 4 Unown and 4 Acro Bike will help the set up, in addition to helping abuse Gallade's Premonition ability afterwards.

4 Trainer's Mail
4 Unown
3 Acro Bike
2 Maintenance
4 Ultra Ball
4 Battle Compressor
4 VS Seeker
2 Maxie's
Tools say 2 Muscle Band 2 Float Stone
Only a few other supporters, like you have listed, 2 Sycamore, 1 Judge maybe 2 Giovanni's and 1 Lysandre
That's 37 cards, with 12 energy I'd have only 11 spots for pokemon
2 Gallade
3 Yveltal XY
2 Yveltal EX
2-2 Zoroark
I dunno, seems like it suffers from focussing on the Maxie's trick though.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I have made the following changes:

- 1-1 Octillery
- 4 Reserved Ticket

+ 4 Acro Bike
+ 2 Unown

Any more input? It really helps me a lot.

I play reserved ticket with unown Shaymin and it works really well. I play it in Blastoise/Archies and in Zorak/ Gallade decks. In standard, Siesmitoad isn't really that much of nuisance, really a tech card. In expanded, it's not as everywhere as it once was because of Yveltal and Vespquen. However I usually can flip for archies on first turn, and I rarely miss it on second turn in those decks. The power of reserved really has not been experimented with yet, I believe that most trainers don't see any benefit to it because of the flip so they opt of acro bike. Acro bike is not a fail card, acro bike forces a draw in a random 47 card deck. It has more opportunity to fail in the deck because your search is for a single card that is needed, 1/47 is not that great of odds. Statistically you get higher chances of pulling a card that can't fail or isn't what the deck needs at the time. Reserve ticket, though 50/50, can fail or can hit heads. In Maxies and Archies decks that is massive because more often then not, you need a fail card, not a draw card.

I have it up on my channel where I flip it twice in one game without trainers mail. With trainers mail it works extraordinary well, but I was tinkering/challenging myself to see if I could get it to work.

My last point..and again they might not be great points...scratch head...but I think they are points, is how can all these decks run supper scoop/crushing hammers and not play a four off of reserved ticket with unkown/sycamore/Tierno/Shaymin/trainers mail --- all you need is one heads and you maxie/archies up, most of the time you don't even need that, you just need a fail card. And if a four off super scoop and crushing hammers cards can hit heads, than why can't a four off of reserved ticket hit heads once in a while?

Just thoughts, but ya, if you don't have shaymin, than go with Octillary. You draw the card you need if reserved ticket hits.

Weird question: I want to make this deck, but dont have Yveltal EX. Could I just use Lugia EX? they're basically the same thing lol.

But basically not, Yveltal ex hits for 20+ . You could run it with lugia thought. But yveltal hits harder overall

And Yveltal's second attack Y Cyclone is quite useful in this deck. You can use it to transfer a Double Colorless Energy to Zoroark or Gallade.
All decks that runs Darkness Energy are usually better of with Yveltal EX. But Lugia EX is a decent substitute for the time being.

With the deterioration of Seismitoad, Yveltal EX is one the best EX's in the format right now. And they are pretty reasonably priced because of the promo counterpart.

Including a Seismitoad EX might not be terrible, if you can actually get Zoroark . Float Stone going, since DCE is this decks bread and butter, why not switch in Seismitoad and item lock that Night March deck? It's a good starter and a good tech. I agree with y'all about Yveltal EX's superiority to Lugia EX, Deep Hurricane is an awesome attack, but Gallade hits 130, has a less common weakness and only gives up one prize. Discarding a stadium is sweet though, since Shadow Circle is not the best. They have to whiff on their stadium for it to be worth it (otherwise they'll replace it and attack on their turn and hit you for weakness anyway).

The worst thing about this is having an evolution line, I would definitely like Zoroark, but the Break might actually not be worth the one card. . . it's likely to be discarded. Posit: Most pokemon cannot KO themselves. Zoroark Break needs Muscle Band, Giovanni's Scheme, Plus Power and so on to OHKO. It fouls the Maxie's and you want Float Stone on Zoroark so you can select your attacker based on which can KO whilst still giving you the lead in prizes in case of revenge KO.

On Acro Bike vs Reserved Ticket, you've got a point: more often than not I am hoping for an item or basic: something immediately playable with Acro Bike. Ergo, heads or tails, reserved ticket fills the same spot in the deck.

I agree with all of you about the Yveltal vs. Lugia question and I will test Reserved Ticket again. But I think the Break is really important in this deck, as it absolutely wins the Tyrantrum or Dialga matchup. You can just copy those big attacks for a single energy, in Dialgas case you don't even have to discard anything.

You might consider maintenance, it sucks since you might draw something unplayable but it might save Zoroark Break if you draw it turn 1 or something. Just seems like it could be trouble more often than not. Seems like having Zoroark makes it a challenge already and keeping a copy of sacred ash or a buddy-buddy rescue or something probably wouldn't be that helpful.

You might consider maintenance, it sucks since you might draw something unplayable but it might save Zoroark Break if you draw it turn 1 or something. Just seems like it could be trouble more often than not. Seems like having Zoroark makes it a challenge already and keeping a copy of sacred ash or a buddy-buddy rescue or something probably wouldn't be that helpful.
Unown and Acro Bike are better than Maintenance. And if saving resources is a problem, just run a super rod,

Hey everyone,

I was recently building a Yveltal/Zoroark/Gallade deck list and I hope you can help me a little bit. As the title says, I don't own any Shaymin neither plan to buy some. That's why I left them out, I know they would help, but they are too expensive for me. Anyway, here is my list.

Pokémon: 16
  • 3 Yveltal XY
  • 2 Yveltal EX
  • 2 Zorua (Moonless Madness)
  • 2 Zoroark
  • 1 Zoroark BREAK
  • 2 Gallade
  • 2 Unown
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 32
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick
  • 1 Judge
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Trainer's Mail
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Acro Bike
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Parallel City
Energy: 12
  • 8 Darkness Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Strategy:

The strategy should be pretty simple, it's the standard strategy of this deck: get energy onto Yveltal EX and start attacking. Zoroark is used for retreating and provides as an alternative attacker, so does his BREAK. Gallade is the backup in case you go against a lightning deck (Manectric) while it also provides nice support with his ability.

Thanks for helping me
PlinfaTheBest
Switch to the Whiny Voice Zorua (the other one from BREAKthrough), and I don't think you need 8 Dark energy. You could drop 1 for a 3rd Unown. You might like to drop a single Acro Bike for a Super Rod, since 1, I don't like going all Gung-Ho on Acro Bike since it can force some ugly discard dilemmas, and 2, Super Rod is really great to retrieve an energy you need to keep using Oblivion Wing, and it's good for retrieving pieces of your Zoroark line that you were forced to discard in the first few turns. Finally, I might drop a single Battle Compressor for maybe an Yveltal BKT. Pitch-Black Spear is incredible in the mirror, and it also can soften stuff up so that you can finish them off with Mind Jack, Evil Ball, or Sensitive Blade more easily. Plus, Fright Night is a really good ability if your opponents aren't expecting it. Other than that, the list looks solid.

Would a Bunnelby work? It's immediately playable so it won't hurt to draw into it early, you could Rototiller Zoroark Break back into your deck or a DCE for those disruption deck match ups.
Trash Tentacle Malamar would be kind of sick, putting it into your hand and doing damage, but that's not really a good option.
I would put Faded Town as an option for stadium. Giving Megas damage enough hopefully to put their KO within reach, since you already run a disruption stadium it wouldn't affect your play too much. Most Megas would give you problems at 200+ HP.
Hex Maniac might also make a good inclusion in case of Vileplume, but since it takes up your supporter for the turn it would still make Maxie's difficult to face Vileplume early game.
Buddy-Buddy Rescue might be a good choice to save Zoroark if it gets discarded, Super Rod might be dead in your hand early on, but maybe not if you get an Unown discarded. . . I dunno.

Last edited:
Would a Bunnelby work? It's immediately playable so it won't hurt to draw into it early, you could Rototiller Zoroark Break back into your deck or a DCE for those disruption deck match ups.
Trash Tentacle Malamar would be kind of sick, putting it into your hand and doing damage, but that's not really a good option.
I would put Faded Town as an option for stadium. Giving Megas damage enough hopefully to put their KO within reach, since you already run a disruption stadium it wouldn't affect your play too much. Most Megas would give you problems at 200+ HP.
Hex Maniac might also make a good inclusion in case of Vileplume, but since it takes up your supporter for the turn it would still make Maxie's difficult to face Vileplume early game.
Buddy-Buddy Rescue might be a good choice to save Zoroark if it gets discarded, Super Rod might be dead in your hand early on, but maybe not if you get an Unown discarded. . . I dunno.
Super Rod does a better job than Bunnelby, Trash Tentacle Malamar completely changes the deck's strategy, and I think Parallel City would be a better option than Faded Town. I definetally think the deck needs a Hex Maniac, but Buddy-Buddy Rescue is not really a good option. Super Rod is better, it just depends on the list you have.

I don't own any Shaymin neither plan to buy some. That's why I left them out, I know they would help, but they are too expensive for me.
Ok, but if you do manage to get your hands on 2 Shaymins, I'd drop an Unown for each of them.

Back