Deck Archetype Yveltal-EX Variants

Because you are under item lock. Escaping the status conditions is more difficult. I thought most competitive lists of maxie and yveltal ran keldeo ex. Trees can really suck for decks dedicated to a maxie engine and archeops cannot stop ascension, wally or evosoda. It would help against the accelgor swarm mind you.
Wrong version of accelgor. The wobbuffet one is better since it seals archeops and greninja. Trevenant is an easier KO for dark decks also. Also wobbuffet are easier to stream using super rod and since it's easier to set up you're wall, it's easier to setup accelgor. Wobbuffet also gets rid of our dark cloak, fright night and rush in abilities which are key to our mobility and control.

Lightning Cloud.
Thank you. Very informative. I have played against this other variant a few times and lost.
Yes, I can see how ability lock is even worse in some ways and way more consistent with a basic instead of a stage 1.
What do you suggest? More healing techs? Decreased reliance on Keldeo or replacing it and float stone altogether with switch and eacape rope? I can see ropes working to break ability lock and making it possible to knock an accelgor into the discard, but you'd be sacrificing your retreat condition against the inevitable trevenant match up, which to be honest runs wobbuffet also.
Either deck is tricky to play around, but pure trees actually seems slightly more favourable. At least then their turn ends with a darkness weak pokemon in the active even if I can't play items. Either way, Gallade is obviously the superior choice for the match, if you can pull it off before they get a tree up or they don't start a wobbuffet, both of which can interfere horribly with Maxie.

Lightning Cloud.
Thank you. Very informative. I have played against this other variant a few times and lost.
Yes, I can see how ability lock is even worse in some ways and way more consistent with a basic instead of a stage 1.
What do you suggest? More healing techs? Decreased reliance on Keldeo or replacing it and float stone altogether with switch and eacape rope? I can see ropes working to break ability lock and making it possible to knock an accelgor into the discard, but you'd be sacrificing your retreat condition against the inevitable trevenant match up, which to be honest runs wobbuffet also.
Either deck is tricky to play around, but pure trees actually seems slightly more favourable. At least then their turn ends with a darkness weak pokemon in the active even if I can't play items. Either way, Gallade is obviously the superior choice for the match, if you can pull it off before they get a tree up or they don't start a wobbuffet, both of which can interfere horribly with Maxie.
Pokémon center lady is a hard counter, Olympia is medium counter and switching cards and AZ are soft counters. The best way I've found to cripple the deck is to knockout musharna as a top priority. This though works better with a non-ex deck like raikou eels that can fight the rough seas war and tank with Raikou's shining body, and swing for that magic number 110. Assault vest is also very effective against low damage attackers like accelgor.

Since there's no standard thread for yveltal-ex, mind if I propose a potential skeleton, for all to see, or at least until if and when such thread is made(at which point the skeleton could be moved to its respective thread...)?

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgPP4z30uZLRlAPn7x3OesLQYxq5

^ This is a standard-legal version of the yveltal/garbodor deck, in case you have trouble figuring out what cards to put in a standard-legal yveltal/garb deck skeleton...

Credit goes to 60 cards for helping me find an appropriate skeleton for standard-legal yveltal/garb by providing a full-deck blueprint that was modified into the form as seen below in order to make it a skeleton for the yveltal/garb metadeck...

Based on the above, I came up w/ a possible skeleton. Again, mind the note on the first part of this post. Here it is:

Pokémon: 12
2 Shaymin-EX(ROS 77)
1 Yveltal(XY 78/STS 65)
2 Yveltal(BKT 94)
3 Yveltal-EX(XY 79/XY-PR 150)
2 Trubbish(BKP 56)
2 Garbodor(BKP 57)

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 30
2 Max Elixir(4 would've been sufficient if not for baby yveltal providing energy anyway, right?)
1 Super Rod/Brock's Grit
4 Ultra Balls
3 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Float Stone

4 VS Seeker

4 Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Delinquent
1 Olympia
1 Pokémon Ranger

2 Parallel City

Energy: 13
9 Dark
4 DCE

Open Spots: 5

^ Suggestions to fill: Team Flare Grunt, Faded Town, Hammers, other disruption cards...

^ What do you think? I am NOT seeking help, just trying to contribute to help everyone that is searching for a good current standard-legal yveltal/garb deck but came up empty, as if it was hard to find such a list...

Last edited:
I suggest at least one ninja boy. The chance to get Shaymin off the field is kind of hard not to pass up, but I suppose 2 parallel city should do that nicely. I wonder about bursting balloon, so you have more versatility to choose between fright night and garbotoxin, depending on what phase of the game you are in and say whether you are trying to block a spirit link.
Has anyone tried that for garbodor? Temporarily activating garbotoxin with balloons?

Back