Yveltal EX / Darkrai EX

Blah

DBT
Use this thread for all discussion of the Yveltal EX/Darkrai EX deck. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs. This is not the thread to discuss Yveltal EX/Garbodor. All discussion about that deck should be posted in its respective thread.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means of adding to the discussion. Don't post decklists here for advice.

All discussion not related to Yveltal EX/Darkrai EX will be moved or deleted. All shallow or uninformed discussion will also be deleted by the mods.

Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 8
  • 3 Yveltal EX
  • 2 Darkrai EX
  • 1 Bouffalant DRX
  • 1 Sableye DEX
  • 1 Yveltal XY
Trainers: 34
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 4 Random Receiver
  • 2 Other Draw Cards (Bicycle / Colress)
  • 4 Dark Patch
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Energy Switch
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Dowsing Machine
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 10
  • 7 Darkness
  • 4 Double Colorless
Free Spots: 8

Good Additions:
  • Druddigon FLF
  • Keldeo EX / Switch / Escape Rope
  • Pokémon Catcher
  • Enhanced Hammer
  • More Salbeye / Yveltal XY
  • More Bouffalant
  • More Darkness Energy / Professor's Letter

RE: Darkrai EX / Sableye / Hypnotoxic Laser / Virbank City Gym

This is really good, I have a friend who's running this with Mewtwo, DCE, Escape Rope and Scramble Switch and its doing really well, it completely destroyed a plasmaklang list, Rayeels and Blastoise w/ and without BK EX. He doesn't run Dark Claw, so he can't OHKO Blastoise plus he has a lack of Keldeo EX

My other friend has made an ultra consistent list, but it fails late game.

What do you guys think is the best style list for this deck?

I've been playing this deck for a while now and it's just great. I decided to run Dark Claw over Eviolite, since with HTL/Virbank in the format, Eviolite isn't as strong as it was before. I'd like to have some Escape Rope in this deck as well, but I think Keldeo EX does the job so much better.

That's my current list btw, feel free to discuss!

3 Darkrai EX
2 Mewtwo EX
2 Sableye
1 Keldeo EX
= 8

4 N
4 Professor Juniper
2 Bianca
2 Skyla
4 Pokémon Catcher
4 Hypnotoxic Laser
2 Virbank City Gym
4 Dark Patch
3 Ultra Ball
3 Energy Switch
2 Bicycle
2 Dark Claw
1 Super Rod
1 Max Potion
1 Dowsing Machine
1 Energy Search
= 40

8 Darkness Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy
= 12

12 Supporters should be enough as I'm running Dowsing Machine and 2 Bicycle as well. Bicycle is just great, it allows you so many combos with Dowsing Machine.

I absolutely love this deck so far. My build resembles more of the Hammertime deck with 4 Darkrai but I've cut the one Mewtwo and one Bouffalant that I had in my build last format. Keldeo is an absolute necessity in this deck, as are Dark Claws because you always want that maximum damage to hit magic numbers against the 170 HP EXs and they can help against stuff like Blastoise/Hydreigon/Klinklang as well.

Probably the best part that I like about the deck is its consistency. I'm finding it's definitely one of the most consistent decks of this format at least.

dmaster out.

This is going to be the deck I'm going to build for my first championship (States this March).
I agree with what Dmaster said, Keldeo definitely helps. It will help with mirror matches to get rid of poison or just getting out of a sticky situation to continually night spear. Only problem is it's chance of being prized without ruining consistency.
One thing players might want to consider (or if they are in the process of building and have free space) is a plus power, especially if the Meta turns to the 180 hp kyurems. It'll just let you continually get (practically) One hit KOs.
I think it is best to have as many dark energies as possible in your set of energies. In my experience so far everything is consistent, expect the energy at some points. In the deck list help thread for my build I originally ran 2 sigilyph just for some anti EX support. Even with the splashed blend energies consistency just wasn't right. But thanks to some insight, sigil was removed and all energies were basic dark. It improved the deck very much so.
Also energy switches are really handy as well if you don't start with a Darkrai in hand.

Wow I might want to try this one. I already have a couple of sableye, lasers, and virbank. It looks like a pretty cheep build (aside from Darkrai) but an effective one none the less.

pokedan24 said:
It looks like a pretty cheep build (aside from Darkrai) but an effective one none the less.

IMO, even the Darkrais are fairly cheap because they came in a Tin. This is definitely one of the cheapest decks currently considering Tropical Beach really help out the Stage 2 decks and not everybody can afford those.

dmaster out.

POKEMON (9)
3 Darkrai EX
3 Mewtwo EX
2 Sableye
1 Keldeo EX

TRAINERS (39)
4 Professor Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
2 Bianca
4 Pokemon Catcher
4 Energy Switch
4 Dark Patch
3 Ultra Ball
3 Hypnotoxic Laser
2 Dark Claw
2 Max Potion
1 Energy Search
1 Computer Search
2 Virbank City Gym

ENERGY (12)
8 Darkness
4 DCE

My current build I'm playing on PlayTCG. Good, fast and consistent. Tier 1 definitely, can pull off a turn 2 Night Spear VERY easily, and doesn't have any bad matchups, IMO. Bouffalant can be added if Sigilyph is popular in your area.

I tried this for a little while before eventually deciding I didn't like it. My build had consistency problems and was dull to play. I find that strange since it looked very similar to other consistent lists.

What did it look like? I'm sure other people could maybe help you out with it.

dmaster out.

What is this deck supposed to do about Klinklang? Just currious.

Mora said:

Me and my friend have actually been testing this. His version won once due to me not getting anything helpful while my only Klinklang was stuck active slowly being KOed by Hypnoxic/Virbank and Sableye. My version of this deck has 3 Terrakion in it and it significantly improves the Klinklang match up.

Mora said:

Yeah I'm wondering that too. Unless you're supposed to kill it with poison.

pokedan24 said:
Mora said:

Yeah I'm wondering that too. Unless you're supposed to kill it with poison.

Pretty much that. You use JunkHunt/Laser/Catcher until they run out of resources like Switch or Escape Rope.

I don't go to tournaments like battle roads or anything because there are none in Perth WA but i MIGHT start going to a league but right now i am ONLY playing at home and online so those would be the only places i will play this deck so what do you think?

Soul said:
You use JunkHunt/Laser/Catcher until they run out of resources like Switch or Escape Rope.

I played against a variant that used both Klinklangs and it kept Rushing In and free retreating with Darkrai.

Edit: Duh, kill the Keldeo and Darkrai brecause they're not Metal.

Hmm interesting ideas.... My version if the deck is a bit different... I am running hammers with mine. Since Plasma energies are such a huge thing to Lugia and Articuno I think it's best to eliminate that threat all together. It's also a "speed" version. It's utilizes Ether and Pokedex to it's maximum potential.

Also, this deck will be very easy for people to run as you can get a few tins and have most of the deck. (Darkrai EX tins and then one Keldeo Tin)

I am also using laser and virbank as everyone is. (One of the reasons why I am running Keldeo)

Do you think this has some potential? I also need help with the Poney match up...

Lil Wayne said:
I also need help with the Poney match up...

You OHKO Keldeo (with a snipe) and Blastoise. Basically.

You have to snipe Keldeo 3 times to OHKO.

Lil Wayne said:
You have to snipe Keldeo 3 times to OHKO.
No you don't. Keldeo is active. HTL and Night Spear w/ Dark Claw to get it at 30 HP remaining and put 30 on Blastoise. Next turn Catcher up Blastoise and KO it as well as the damaged Keldeo

Back