Your Personality Types

Omega Soul

I'm feeling dizzy
This is a thread asking two questions.

Are you an optimist or a pessimist?

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

If you don't know what these mean, this is an explanation.

Introvert: Someone who prefers being alone to socializing.
Extrovert: Someone who prefers socializing to being alone.
Optimist: Someone who has a positive lookout on life.
Pessimist: Someone who has a negative lookout on life.

I am both a pessimist and introvert. I actually hate being optimistic about anything, and I hate socializing IRL.

Are you an optimist or a pessimist?
I'm not clear-cut one or the other. If something good happens or if good things are ahead, I'm an optimist. If something bad happens or will happen, I fluctuate between the two. Sometimes I'll wallow so deep into negativity and the feeling of hopelessness that if I were a marine animal, you couldn't find me if you searched all the way to the bottom of the ocean. Other times, I have confidence that I'm making it to be worse than it actually is, and that everything will be ok. I do have a tendency to overestimate how bad the future will be. I make preparations for worst-case scenarios, and I have backup plans for my backup plans. But I never need to resort to those, because it's just my brain being paranoid. Bad things rarely happen to me.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
Extrovert. I'm like a dog. I want people to pay attention to me and play with me. I also want to express my creativity and have it acknowledged. I like hugs.

I am an introvert. I prefer to be alone most of the time in my room. Part of it may be related to being afraid of bees / wasps so most of the year I'd have to worry about them.

I wouldn't say that I'm pessimistic or optimistic. I am more of a realist.

I'm not irrationally optimistic, but I do have a fairly positive outlook on things and in a bad situation I don't dwell on how bad everything is and spiral into depression or whatever. To me it feels unhealthy to go through life expecting everything to suck, and you'll probably try to prove to yourself that your negative expectations are correct which'll probably make you miserable all around.

Introvert master race reporting in. I don't crave going out and meeting new people or whatever extroverts do and am perfectly fine just hanging around at home doing whatever. I don't like big parties or other events like that where I'm surrounded by people I don't know. I find it hard to talk to people whose personalities and interests I don't know and suck at/hate small talk, so I dislike social events with a bunch of strangers. Plus I'd I enjoy higher ratios of friends to strangers and would generally rather just stay home or hang out with a few friends. I'm a staunch supporter of quality over quantity and that includes people in my life. Other introvert traits apply to me like enjoying downtime, conversing about more meaningful topics, internal reflection, and getting my energy internally. I prefer formulating what I want to say beforehand and rehearsing it once or so in my head before I say/write it.

I can't say I fall into being classified as either optimistic or pessimistic either. The famous "is the cup half full or half empty" question usually ends in an answer like "it's half filled". Suppose that follows with King Arceus' realistic outlook.
Most definitely an introvert which I'll help further define with this quote:
“Introverts are observant by nature. They’re the quiet ones who prefer to sit at the sidelines and observe those around them. And no, they’re not judging people when they do this. This also doesn’t mean that introverts are wallflowers. They can talk your ear off if the topic is something they’re passionate or know a lot about. They simply don’t feel the need nor have the energy to be social butterflies.
As Susan Cain puts it, “We’re not anti-social; we’re just differently social.””
— Glori Surban

As for a broader personality type I'm an INTJ.

Pragmatist
Following KA's lead, I have a very pragmatic approach to a lot of things (a lot may be the understatement of the day). At times, I do wonder if that's too much, but it suits me in the end. I have had small pessimistic bouts before, but small is the overstatement of the day, and frankly they don't even count in my eyes. As for optimism, I'm much more likely to show that, and that is true with things that I'm passionate about/I do or that of another person's success (that is at least somewhat relevant to me; not everything one does will make me care enough to cheer). However, pragmatism is the dominant one by far. I enjoy that quality, as it allows easier switches of attention, little to no pain with doing hard mental work, etc. No real worries about disappointment or frustration from where others might get it.
Introvert
This should be fairly obvious and probably a shared trait of most of this forum :p I'm content with absorbing and processing, and being alone doesn't really bother me, though I can participate in social situations for extended periods of time and have no aversion toward talking about things to others ("recharging needs" depend on my interest in the situation). Otherwise, FallenLeaf's quote is pretty well definitive of my dominant traits.

"What if I'm a people person who keeps his own company by default?" - Xander Harris in Buffy The Vampire Slayer, What's My Line part 1

That kind of describes me. I don't mind being around people but really I admit I really need to be around people who share similar interests as I do to really bring that out.

I think when all is said and done I tend to lean toward optimist but not only can it sometimes be not for the best view, though at times I can be pesimistic too. That depends on the day and my mood.

"I always hope for the best. Unfortunantley experience has taught me to expect the worst." - Elim Garak in Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

PS, yes it could be considered sad that my quotes are coming from tv shows. We all draw our inspiration in different ways :).

I've always been a pretty hardcore introvert. Being around other people is very draining for me; doesn't matter if you're a friend or a family member or a stranger. The only one really exempt from this is my husband, but I still greatly enjoy my alone-time days while he's at work and I might have more of a problem being around him if we were together constantly. I can suck it up and deal (and do frequently), and I've always been told that I'm pleasant to be with and a good conversationalist, etc., but it's incredibly exhausting and at the wrong times, or simply if the encounter lasts too long, it might trigger my anxiety and cause a full blown panic attack. At least the nice thing about that is that a panic attack is always a good excuse to leave...

I'm also pretty solidly an optimist. I think that mostly came about as a way of balancing my friends since many of my friends in high school, etc. were rather pessimistic, and with me being the cheery one it always ended up being my place to find the bright side and pull people through dark spots. Since then, it's just kind of been ingrained in me, and I always look for the positive in things and try and help others do the same.

I don't know if there is a word for in the middle of being an introvert of extrovert, but that's me. It's just really dependent on how I'm feeling at the time... If I want to focus on something I'll tell people to go away (in harsher language), but a lot of the time I want to spend time with people etc.. So IDRK... I'm just indecisive lol.

That said, I'm definitely a pessimist, but I wouldn't want it any other way. By being a pessimist and expecting the worst from things, I'm pleasantly surprised when something good happens. It also lets me think through the possibilities better; if I go bungee jumping, will I actually enjoy it? Will I be too caught up in my vertigo? Thinking about why it is so bad lets me really weigh up the options, so I enjoy it, really.

According to my friends, I'm an optimist... although my family says otherwise. I guess I'm not definite :p
I'm also probably a more of an extrovert (I quite enjoy being with friends even if I do not talk much), although I do require being alone every now then.

Did I just see Celever post in something that isn't related to forum games!? o.0

FallenLeaf said:
I can't say I fall into being classified as either optimistic or pessimistic either. The famous "is the cup half full or half empty" question usually ends in an answer like "it's half filled". Suppose that follows with King Arceus' realistic outlook.
Most definitely an introvert which I'll help further define with this quote:
“Introverts are observant by nature. They’re the quiet ones who prefer to sit at the sidelines and observe those around them. And no, they’re not judging people when they do this. This also doesn’t mean that introverts are wallflowers. They can talk your ear off if the topic is something they’re passionate or know a lot about. They simply don’t feel the need nor have the energy to be social butterflies.
As Susan Cain puts it, “We’re not anti-social; we’re just differently social.””
— Glori Surban

As for a broader personality type I'm an INTJ.

Same here. *Fist bump*

Quite a few introverts here... Anyway, I'm an introvert myself. I tend not to be very social, but that's not completely by choice due to my current job.

Celever said:
I don't know if there is a word for in the middle of being an introvert of extrovert, but that's me. It's just really dependent on how I'm feeling at the time... If I want to focus on something I'll tell people to go away (in harsher language), but a lot of the time I want to spend time with people etc.. So IDRK... I'm just indecisive lol.
There actually is a word for people who are in the middle: ambivert.

I have something kinda like split personality, but not that severe. Half of the time I'm introvert and pessimistic, the other I'm extrovert and optimistic.

However, I believe that one of them is my true self, and that is Optimistic Extrovert.

I call it my Trainer self.

Back