• Something completely different

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
RE: PC's or Macs?

Guy89 said:
The reason I don't like Macs.

Right Click.
Omg you can right click on a mac.

PEople that don't like macs never know anything about them. They are so much better because the computer and the software are made specifically for each other, unlike PCs.

Heavenly Spoon :F said:
Or you're one of the haters who can't accept Apple really does make good products? Accusing people of being fanboys just because they favour a company over the competition, for reasons which they can clearly express and which ultimately do make sense seems a bit rude, IMO...

Anyhow, about not being able to admit Apple can make poor products.
The Puck Mouse which came with the original iMac is probably the worst mouse ever made (The whole one-button thing was pretty silly as well, but that mouse takes it to a whole new level), and I honestly have no idea what got into them when they made it. I doubt a lot of Apple "fanboys" will disagree with me on this one.
But even recently, Apple has made some very poor decisions or some ridiculous oversights:
- The Might Mouse's scroll ball got stuck way too often, and the problem was pretty widespread as well.
- Exposé was pretty glitched for the trackpad when Snow Leopard first came out, and it persisted for like 2 updated (and I still prefer the puzzle-style exposé of Leopard over the grid-based one of SL, but whatever).
- iOS4 is way too laggy on older iPhones and iPod Touches (including the 8GB version they still sell today), the sound stops for half a second when going to sleep, what's up with that?
- Numpads, yes Apple, they can be useful. I can sympathise with not adding them to the Macbook Pro line, but no Wireless keyboard with numpad? At least make a wireless numpad...
- Why does the iPad still need to be connected to a computer?
etc.
(Couldn't come up with anything else which really annoyed me ._.)

That being said, I wouldn't trade my Macbook for a PC laptop unless someone held a gun to my face, my next phone will probably end up being an iPhone and I might get an iPad soon (after a lot of deliberations, real-life experience with the product, etc.). Why? Because Apple does make good products. I have an 8-year-old iMac standing next to me which still works like a charm, my Macbook still has more than 90% (almost 95%) of its full battery capacity after a year of extensive use, can still run for more than 7 hours on a full charge, and the only thing which ever caused a kernel panic on any Mac was trying to emulate Windows. On the other hand, all Windows machines I've ever owned have blue-screened (at least once), crashed on a lot of occasions, slowed to a crawl after a year or 2 of use, been infected by at least one virus (although, to be honest, it was Norton Antivirus which killed my '98), most have been in need of repair at least once, I've had a lot of drivers suddenly no longer being supported, etc. etc.

I really like the all-in-one package, the fact that the machines, hardware and OS are made for eachother, which means stuff just works, updating is a breeze and OS-related or hardware-related problems are pretty much non-existant. Life's easy when you don't have to focus on making your computer work so you can actually do what you want to.

Also, Macs may seem way more expensive superficially, but when comparing computers with similar specs (Apple has pretty much no low-end machines, which is rather sad and I do agree is something they should work on), it's usually not that much of a difference, especially when you consider the materials used and how the computer is created. I mean, the Macbook Pro I'm currently using has been carved out of a single block of aluminium, most other laptops are pieces of plastic which have been screwed together.

And the iPad is pretty nifty. I've been in the market for a light and easy-to-carry laptop for quite a while, but the Macbook Air is way too expensive and I can't stand netbooks. I've also been watching Youtube videos on my iPod more and more because it's just easier to carry around, an iPad, with its bigger screen would be even better for it. I guess you might not see a need for one, but that doesn't mean it's stupid.

Apple isn't perfect, but it's definitely one of the few innovators in what is otherwise a boring and dull industry, and they know how to make good products. If that's not enough to like a company for, then sorry, I don't know what is.
And do you honestly think there would be this many "fanboys" if Apple didn't make good products?

Seriously, what Apple products do you want us to admit are crud? The iPad? But in my experience with the product, it's pretty well-made, works great and exactly as advertised and really is quite unique and useful. What else? Or do you want us to admit good products are crud just to restore balance with your side of the discussion?

I would have given this a tl;dr but you're too cool for that so I did actually read through it. You do bring many good points, but it's a waste on me because I don't like mac. You couldn't get me to buy one if you held a gun to my head. The only reason I have an iPod was because I won it in a drawing for getting perfect attendance in the school year. And it's one of those crappy Gen 2 Shuffles...I really want an MP3 player because it's actually in my price range. I can get a 4 gig MP3 player for less than half the price of a 2 gig iPod. So for me, price is a really really big deal.

Price is a major factor, I agree. But like HS said, having a Mac is completely worth it. I'd be happy (and am) to pay more for a much more fast machine, a more "sturdy" built shell, a nicer screen, and the chemistry between OS and Hardware.

I've used a windows basically all my life, and just a few months ago I got blessed with a macbook. (2008 edition) I love it, its the perfect laptop for me. It's easy to take around and it runs great. Sure I can't do all the stuff I could on a pc, but when I'm away (which isn't that often) I got my macbook. I plan to when I get a job in a year (14 atm) and save up to buy an iMac. It's one of the best all-in-one Computers I have seen. I prefer iPods, I've gone through 1 old 4gb iPod nano and i've had a 8gb iPod touch and now I have a 64gb one. Zune HD wouldn't be something I would buy, Microsoft refuses to release a developer kit for developers can make apps for the device. Which IMO is a wrong move on their part. I've jailbroken my iPod Touch before, but I don't want to mess it up so I removed it.
So What I'm trying to say is I'm both. It's nice having a HP Desktop and a macbook, that way for video editing/creating, browsing, and such I got my desktop and macbook. But if I can get the money, I'd go with mac. IMO custom building is unnecessary, but I am a strange person.

Another thing that I probably have said before is to get a new version of Mac. With Boot Camp. You PC lovers can have what you want, and the speed of a Mac as well for other things. Sure, it costs, but it's really good. Notice, however, that Microsoft don't make a parallel Mac side on Windows. Shows Apple are more welcoming and accepting.

Chiraami said:
. Shows Apple are more welcoming and accepting.
Actually, it just shows that Apple won't allow OS X to run on computers not made by Apple. It has its benefits (not having to add support for all processors or drivers for all PCs out there), but they probably just do this because they're both a hardware and a software company.

There's also quite a few other ways to run Windows applications on a Mac, things like Parallels, VMware fusion or the free Virtualbox, which run Windows inside a window (you still need a copy of a Windows OS), or things like Wine, which basically just runs Windows programs (but sadly doesn't support all programs). I haven't had the need to emulate Windows in a long time, though.

Coming from someone who owns an iMac and a PC, I have to say I prefer PCs.
This is probably because I am used to PCs, but I'm not sure. The Mac takes longer to boot up, although the screen is massive and the fact is has little to no wires is a real space saver. The Mac is also brilliant for multimedia purposes as I have graphics tablets and also create my own music. But that's the other problem, the lack of software readily available. Mac's "Paint" program is terrible, and so is iMovie. I think I prefer Windows Movie Maker even. I think Macs have the potential to win me over, I just need to fork out the money for the Mac Photoshop and perhaps Sony Vegas (f they do it for Mac).

If you're going to buy professional Mac video editing software, you should probably take a look at Final Cut (which I believe is considered the best one out there, and a reason a lot of professionals use macs). I don't think Vegas is available for Mac, but I don't see why you'd want it when Final Cut is.

I still occasionally use iMovie 6 (which was a free download when iMovie '08 came out) because, yeah, iMovie '09 (and especially '08), whilst good in some respects, could definitely be better (how hard is it to add a real timeline?). Wouldn't say WMM is better than either of them, though. Maybe more intuitive, but better?

And what "Paint" program?

Mac doesn't have a built in Paint program. You've got to buy one. What is the paint program you're talking about?

I recently got iWork 09 and have stopped using Microsoft Office for Mac. I have to say, Pages is better than Word and Publisher as it is both combined. I'm really enjoying Numbers and Keynote too, as their clean and simple interface is well designed to welcome the user of the program to use it.

There was some art package included with the Mac I got, I think it was called ArtRage. While it does expand a bit more than Paint, you can't move images around in it (to my knowledge) and I just don't get on with the darn thing.

Chiraami said:
I recently got iWork 09 and have stopped using Microsoft Office for Mac. I have to say, Pages is better than Word and Publisher as it is both combined. I'm really enjoying Numbers and Keynote too, as their clean and simple interface is well designed to welcome the user of the program to use it.
Keynote is probably my favourite Application, clean, straight-forward interface, simple, very capable and so much better than Powerpoint it's not even funny (it was also the reason I made the switch to iWork, PPT for Mac was even worse than the PC version). Being able to convert to QT movies with manual advancing between slides just makes it all the more useful.
I haven't really used Numbers much, but it feels a lot more limited than Excel. That being said, I never liked Excel, it feels bloated and unorganised, which is not at all the case with Numbers. Pages is everything I'd expect it to be and works like it should, so no complaints there.

There's a few paint-alternatives for the Mac. I mostly use Paintbrush (best free one out there), but it hasn't been updated in ages, which is sad because it has a few glitches, especially when it comes to selecting and copying. It even saves images as blank from time to time, which is unacceptable.
For image editing and the likes I mostly use Pixelmator anyway, which has a great UI, might not be as capable as Photoshop, but is a heck of a lot cheaper.

There's a few paint-alternatives for the Mac. I mostly use Paintbrush (best free one out there), but it hasn't been updated in ages, which is sad because it has a few glitches, especially when it comes to selecting and copying. It even saves images as blank from time to time, which is unacceptable.
For image editing and the likes I mostly use Pixelmator anyway, which has a great UI, might not be as capable as Photoshop, but is a heck of a lot cheaper.
I use Paintbrush and it is VERY glitchy, but it does what it has to.

On the subject of iWork, I have a Mac and am wondering, is it worth purchasing if I will mainly be using the word processor? I am currently using Bean, but I want to know if I should splurge and make the switch.

If you are mainly using a word proccessor, then keep it as you are.

However, if you are likely to use presentation and spreadsheets in the next three years or so, then do splurge out on iWork, or maybe wait in case Apple release an iWork 10.

Keynote is probably my favourite Application, clean, straight-forward interface, simple, very capable and so much better than Powerpoint it's not even funny (it was also the reason I made the switch to iWork, PPT for Mac was even worse than the PC version). Being able to convert to QT movies with manual advancing between slides just makes it all the more useful.
I haven't really used Numbers much, but it feels a lot more limited than Excel. That being said, I never liked Excel, it feels bloated and unorganised, which is not at all the case with Numbers. Pages is everything I'd expect it to be and works like it should, so no complaints there.

Pages and Keynote are very useful, straight-forward, and much better than PowerPoint. I find Pages to be capable of everything Word can do, so I switch back and forth (however, I find schoolwork much easier on Word).

Numbers is pretty limited, imo. I find Excel more useful, despite being less organized than Numbers.

Numbers is indeed simple but limited. Pixelmator is ok, I've tried it once or twice but doesn't match up with Photoshop.

Final Cut Express is really good.

10th Post. Whoopee.

Megachu said:
If you are mainly using a word proccessor, then keep it as you are.

However, if you are likely to use presentation and spreadsheets in the next three years or so, then do splurge out on iWork, or maybe wait in case Apple release an iWork 10.

All right, thank you. Btw, way to jump right into discussions after joining! Nice.

Bulbabuddy said:
I use Paintbrush and it is VERY glitchy, but it does what it has to.

On the subject of iWork, I have a Mac and am wondering, is it worth purchasing if I will mainly be using the word processor? I am currently using Bean, but I want to know if I should splurge and make the switch.

SinnohTrainer17 said:
Pages and Keynote are very useful, straight-forward, and much better than PowerPoint. I find Pages to be capable of everything Word can do, so I switch back and forth (however, I find schoolwork much easier on Word).

Numbers is pretty limited, imo. I find Excel more useful, despite being less organized than Numbers.
try open office for the mac

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/

Thanks!

I noticed conflicting opinions on which computers are better for gaming. Which is normally considered superior for video games?

Here is an example of what I don't like about Apple.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/hosted/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=226900049&subSection=News

Back