Your claim to religion?

That would be awesome lol.
Any one see the national geo series on the hidden truths about the bible or what ever it was called very good watch

Dustin DeVine said:
I dwell on logic, not a book that is thousands of years old, which provides tons of falsified information.
That is a pretty bold statement.

I'm also a very logical thinker but I'm curious as to what you are referring to here.

I'm an atheist but I won't subscribe to bashing or belittle someone just because they believe something differently then me, I try to carry myself with class. If they would like to believe something, its not harming me. Extremist on both ends give other sides a bad reputation and generalize the party in question.

Cinesra said:
PDC said:
^So you're an agnostic?
Agnosticism is believing that there's no proof for nor against the existence of a god(I'm agnostic, by the way). He believes in a god, just not the god of an organized religion, which I'm pretty sure is called theism.
jdivinity said:
Growing up my family never wet to church but were always told about god but other than that we weren't all too religious. My family identifies themselves as Christians, aside from my stepfather who is catholic, but I've chosen to be agnostic. I'm at the point in my life where I find no time for religion but likely later on in life (likely after college so in 4 years) ill find faith in some religion that I choose. I'm still unsure and clueless to many things as religion goes and it does sound rather interesting but right now I don't know if I'm ready for a commitment to such thing.
AdamLambert said:
I believe in God because I want to believe that there is life after death. It's farfetched, I know. But if there is a heaven, I want to go there. If there isn't, then it won't really matter. I've tried to imagine what life would be like if I didn't exist. But I am never able to do it because it isn't really possible IMO. I don't go to church because I don't need a building and a bunch of people preaching to me the same thing every Sunday. I know wrong from right. The end. So yes, I believe in God. The thing is, no one can prove nor disprove a higher entity, and that, my friends, is a part of life.
Chosing to believe in something is the same as not believing in something and lying about it to others and/or yourself. You can't chose to believe in something. I can't choose to believe that a flying spaghetti monster created the universe.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say. I believe there is a God. I believe Jesus exists. I identify as a Christian. I choose to believe what I believe in because I want to believe it's true.

Chosing to believe in something is the same as not believing in something and lying about it to others and/or yourself. You can't chose to believe in something. I can't choose to believe that a flying spaghetti monster created the universe.

...I think what he MEANS to say is that you can't choose to believe something just because it will benefit you, or just because you want to. Adam, you said in your previous statement that you believe in God because you want to believe in life after death. I think what Cinesra is saying is that if you're only believing in something for an afterlife, then you don't really believe it.

Don't shoot the messanger, I'm just trying to translate. I don't think Cinesra literally meant "you can't choose to believe in anything" because you can choose to believe whatever you want lol.

TPO3 said:

...I think what he MEANS to say is that you can't choose to believe something just because it will benefit you, or just because you want to. Adam, you said in your previous statement that you believe in God because you want to believe in life after death. I think what Cinesra is saying is that if you're only believing in something for an afterlife, then you don't really believe it.

Don't shoot the messanger, I'm just trying to translate. I don't think Cinesra literally meant "you can't choose to believe in anything" because you can choose to believe whatever you want lol.

*sigh* Fine, I won't shoot the messenger.

Ah. That makes more sense. I agree. I've just been very confused about what I believe lately. But I definitely believe in God. That's really all I know. Religion is very confusing. There's also the issues with mistranslation of the Bible. I don't know if we'll ever get a correct translation.

But then there are all those people who have near death experiences and they say they see God and whatnot. Surely they can't ALL be dismissed.

I feel as though I have a good viewpoint. I can understand both religious and unreligious people. I mean, how do we know the Bible wasn't written by some random guy 5,000 years ago? But it's human nature to question things. I'm done now, because I rambling.

Dustin DeVine said:
I dwell on logic, not a book that is thousands of years old, which provides tons of falsified information.

What is logic anyway? Seems to me anything that a human thinks they have figured out is labeled "logic; or logical" and things that still doesn't make sense to us labeled as a myth or fable. It's all about perception and humans are not good at perceiving anything past their noses. There is often echoes of truth in what we consider myths or fables. As far as religion goes I do not follow an organized religion (or relationship for Christians ;-)) I do believe in a spiritual world and perhaps a universe oversoul but I don't think this "supreme being" (if you want to call it that to make sense) has an agenda.

SoulWind said:
Dustin DeVine said:
That is a pretty bold statement.

I'm also a very logical thinker but I'm curious as to what you are referring to here.

The most obvious one, per se, is the biblical depiction of the creation of Earth. Earth was not created in six days, or however many it claims; Earth was created approximately nine billion years after the Big Bang.

The list could go on and on, but honestly, I don't want this thread to evolve into a gigantic flame war because I am disproving an ancient book that so many people covet (uselessly, in my opinion).

Oh, yes, speaking of evolution. Humans were not just *BANG, HUMANS ARE HERE!* as the Bible said; it has taken several hundreds of thousands of years for humans to, well, form. The earliest form of human has been dated back one-hundred thousand years ago, but human ancestors, such as Australopithecus afarensis, have been dated back to 3.2 million years ago. Also, it is physiologically impossible to create another human from the rib of another (unless I am totally ignorant on the subject of stem-cell generation).

Furthermore, the Christian "God," as many of you know, is a composite of several polytheistic gods from early Judaistic religious practices.

Christianity was derived from Judaism, which came from the war-time Canaanite religion, which came after Babylonian religion, which came from Zoroastrianism.

In short : almost no new-time religion is original.

What PDC and Dustin said. Along with the thought of a global flood being ridiculous, along with the myth of the Exodus, along with there being no proof for much of anything in the Old Testament other than David, who was not the huge king the Bible describes him as.

Also the fact that if you ask any historian, almost every powerful/significant figure in the Bible (Moses, Noah, Abraham, David, Jonah, even Jesus) never existed or weren't who the Bible says they were.

EDIT: Also, not saying Jesus never existed. There was a historical Jesus, but all sources about his life were written 60-400 years after his supposed death, with not many of them being reliable. I'm not going to get too in-depth in this, but basically all we know about him is that he was a dude that gathered crowds and was killed by the Romans for causing trouble.

I say I'm humanist, which would mean I'm atheist.

I'll believe in a God when it's proved with physical evidence.

Dustin DeVine said:
Also, it is physiologically impossible to create another human from the rib of another (unless I am totally ignorant on the subject of stem-cell generation).

Actually, you can. Just last week mice have been cloned from blood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23068423

Ribs contain bone marrow, which produces and contains red blood cells, platelets and white blood cells. It is possible to clone an organism from a rib. But no, mud cannot bring forth a man.

Actually, we're able to create cells out of non-living materials now lol.

I am a Pastafarian.

Why believe in science? It is incorrect, dodgy, and rarely explains anything. The reason? Well, there may be many. But for one, every time a scientist carbon dates an object (trying to garner more proof for their silly "evolution" crackpot theories), a large flying monster resembling spaghetti and meatballs appears, miraculously changing the results. Nice try, science! You noob.

Here is an ancient depiction of the Flying Spaghetti Monster touching man with His Noodly Appendage.
(This was a real and frequent occurrence. Otherwise why would they paint it?)

Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg

I agree with Myles, Pastafarian is filled with love.

3947553770_1f53de61f1_o.jpg

I don't know the actual name for it but I think there is a creator of everything. I don't firmly believe if it's sentient or not, and i don't follow any religion.

I used to be atheist, and when I was I really tried not to be rude about it. Don't ever be that person in your religion/gender/group that makes others hate that religion/gender/group.

I do think the Bible was intended to be a book of morals and values to be followed in order to make you be a better person, not to be taken literally.

I don't understand those die-hard pastafaians lol. The religion is based off of a satirical paper written by someone who was arguing against the teaching of religion in public schools.

It was created to make a point, not to have actual followers >.<

Jay said:
I don't understand those die-hard pastafaians lol. The religion is based off of a satirical paper written by someone who was arguing against the teaching of religion in public schools.

MFW you take the posts seriously.

No face available.

Jay said:

It doesn't have actual followers... it's a joke.

Back