General Your Biggest Nostalgia Fixes

Celever

Wheeeee~
Be it hearing a random number from the soundtrack, seeing an old ad for it or straight up replaying the game, this thread is talking about what aspects of what video games make you the most nostalgic whenever you run into them in every day life. As this is a Pokémon forum, I'm sure for a lot of us these games will be Pokémon Red or Blue, but it'd be really cool to see some slightly obscurer examples.

This question has basically been on my mind since I decided to replay my childhood game again a couple of days ago: Shrek 2 for the Gamecube. I realised that, from the first area of the game, I could visualise the entirety of the rest of it in my head, and I knew exactly what happened in every cutscene before it did. And the last time I'd played this game must be at least 5 years ago! It's made me feel really nostalgic all of a sudden, and nostalgia should be shared. :L

So, what are your greatest gaming nostalgia fixes?

Without a doubt, Star Wars, Knights of the Old Republic. Fantastic game both in gameplay (even if that model is dated now, and used primarily in MMO's) and story. The characters are awesome, and at least when I first started playing it, I felt like a Jedi, and now when I visualize Jedi's, that is what I see. I remember many things about the game (plots, characters, locations, etc) despite years of gaps between playing, and while I haven't brought myself to complete it for a long time, I sometimes love to just fire it up and play through Taris even though typically first worlds in these kinda games suck (looking at you Mass Effect and KotOR II). Between this and Pokemon, it is probably why I love RPG's so much.

Perhaps my most nostalgic game in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the GameCube. While not my first game, I discovered it at a friend's place and was immediately attached to it. I've played it through a couple of times now, and the start menu theme gets me every time! I also learnt about Minecraft while this intro theme was playing in the background, so Sonic and Minecraft have some form of connection to me. =P

Probably 7 or so years ago, I played this game on the Nintendo 64. I can only remember a thing that ate other things and pooped them out as green-and-white eggs. I only realised recently that this game was probably Super Smash Bros. xD

The Resident Evil remake for the game cube would be one of mine, there was a point I'd replay that every year. Same with Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars. Also, the original Doom and Doom 2.

For me, it was the Evolutions prerelease. Just getting to open up these retro cards was so nice, even more so that we can get them reverse holo. I almost cried at that prerelease because I was so happy.

I'll give two examples; one relevant to Pokémon, the other slightly more "obscure"

Pokémon: Like @crystal_pidgeot above me, the Evolutions pre-release was a big nostalgia kick for me. It reminded me of when I was a wee thing, buying a pack at the Jean Coutu Pharmacy check out. I practically begged my mom for it. I was so stoked.

Other: Any time I hear anything 8-bit, I immediately am reminded of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. It, along with Yellow, were my very first video games. Even as I type this, I have the main theme of LA playing through my head. Such a fantastic game. I eventually plan to get a tattoo of the Wind Fish, actually. Show off my love even more.

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue COMPLETE for the PS1. It was the first JRPG I ever played, and I've probably played it 6 or more times since then. Hearing a piece of music from this game, or seeing art for it or a mention somewhere (as it's rather old and somewhat obscure), is a pretty huge nostalgia rush to me.

One of these days, I'll do a playthrough of it here. :p

I'll have to say something that brings me a mass amount of nostalgia is the original Challenge Theme from Final Fantasy X. Not only is it one of my favorite games of all time (for game play, story, soundtrack...everything), that song specifically brings back my memories of initially struggling against Yunalesca, who I feel to this day is one of the best examples of someone I love and hate simultaneously. Just listening to the Siren Sounds during the breakdown still gives me this wild determination of sorts to defeat her again. Either that, or it's the fact that she was so dang annoying.

I really do need to buy the Remastered version. Christmas Gift for me, perhaps~

-Asmer

Back