• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format XY-On Team Aqua (Mightyena / Sharpedo)

festizzio

Desu
I finally found a deck that suits me...I played Speedrill (Beedrill Great Encounters) back in the day, and this plays very close to that.

Pokemon : 20
  • 4 Team Aqua's Poochyena
  • 4 Team Aqua's Mightyena
  • 4 Team Aqua's Carvanha
  • 4 Team Aqua's Sharpedo
  • 2 Team Aqua's Seviper
  • 2 Shaymin-EX
Items/Supporters/Stadiums : 33
  • 4 Shauna
  • 3 Team Aqua's Admin
  • 2 Wally
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Team Aqua's Great Ball
  • 3 Aqua Diffuser
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 3 Sky Field
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 2 Sacred Ash
  • 2 Escape Rope
Energy : 7
  • 7 Water Energy
Strategy:

The strategy is simple: swarm as many Team Aqua Pokemon as possible using TA's Great Ball, Level Ball, and TA's Sharpedo to hit as hard as possible and recover as quickly as possible. Seviper is there for extra Aqua on the bench, and a tech against fighting pokes like Medicham or Lucario EX. It's very fun and consistent so far, but I feel it still has a lot of work to be done. Aqua Diffuser actually has an interesting combo with Seviper, which I didn't expect. It helps when I start with him, but Escape Rope is there just in case. Wally is incredibly useful at getting a Sharpedo going T1, and I think it's one of the most useful cards in the deck.

Last edited:
just a thought, if you do not set up right away, you could put in a couple of aqua diffusers? i just really like that cardXD

and why the 4 admin???

just a thought, if you do not set up right away, you could put in a couple of aqua diffusers? i just really like that cardXD

and why the 4 admin???

Nice! In testing, I completely forgot about Diffuser and that would allow me to set-up in cases where I go second. I run 4 Admin to recover quicker, since Mightyena is relatively squishy at 100 HP and will most likely die often. If I go first, there's also a possibility of my active Pooch (with energy attached) getting KO'd right away, and this lets me attack on T2 still. What would you recommend removing for the Diffusers?

Edit: Major changes in the OP, including Diffuser was a wise choice and it's already working out. It's great to have a secondary, stall-ish attacker on the bench. It also combos nicely with Seviper. :)

Last edited:
Don't you find that between Sharpedo, Aqua Great Ball and Level Ball you have way more search than you actually need? That could be one way you make room.

Have you considered Trick Coin instead of Muscle Band? Without doing the math, I suspect it would add more than an extra 20 damage on average when you want to re-flip.

I see what you're going for with the Aqua Admin and it's not a bad idea, but running 4 seems overkill. If conserving your energy is a big problem, a couple of Exp. Share might not be a bad idea, but then you lose Trick Coin/Muscle Band, so having said that, I'd probably keep the Admins around - but I might drop to 2-3 if space is an issue.. especially with VS Seeker available.

Personally, I think this deck really wants Sky Field and a few more basic Aqua Pokémon. Hitting for an average of 90 (110 with Muscle Band) isn't enough damage. Unfortunately the other choices for basic Aqua Pokémon are pretty bad. Seviper at least only has a 1 retreat cost. Grimer and Spheal are definitely no good and Kyogre would use up more than half of your Energy to attack, so that's no good. If it's not going to attack, a 4 retreat cost is not going to work, so Seviper it is if you choose to go that route.

Aqua Diffuser is interesting, it gives a way for a Carvanha/Sharpedo/Seviper to make itself useful in the Active spot and potentially stall a bit.

I would do something like this, I think:
-1 Team Aqua's Admin
-1 Level Ball
-1 Team Aqua's Great Ball
-1 Trainers' Mail
-1 Acro Bike
-1 Sacred Ash
-3 Muscle Band
+3 Sky Field
+3 Team Aqua's Seviper
+3 Trick Coin
Can't fit the Diffuser here unfortunately though..

Don't you find that between Sharpedo, Aqua Great Ball and Level Ball you have way more search than you actually need? That could be one way you make room.

I haven't found that to be an issue yet, it's important to swarm as many basics as possible early game to allow me to evolve to Mightyena on T2 guaranteed. I find that regardless if I go first or second, one of my Pokemon is likely to die due to the speed of the format and their low HP.

Have you considered Trick Coin instead of Muscle Band? Without doing the math, I suspect it would add more than an extra 20 damage on average when you want to re-flip.

I did, but I wouldn't know when it was right to re-flip. I flip 6-9 coins (since I updated my OP), would I re-flip when I get half heads? when I get 1-2 heads? Probability wise, it doesn't seem like that would happen too often.

I see what you're going for with the Aqua Admin and it's not a bad idea, but running 4 seems overkill. If conserving your energy is a big problem, a couple of Exp. Share might not be a bad idea, but then you lose Trick Coin/Muscle Band, so having said that, I'd probably keep the Admins around - but I might drop to 2-3 if space is an issue.. especially with VS Seeker available.

Moved down to 3, you're definitely right about 4 being overkill.

Personally, I think this deck really wants Sky Field and a few more basic Aqua Pokémon. Hitting for an average of 90 (110 with Muscle Band) isn't enough damage. Unfortunately the other choices for basic Aqua Pokémon are pretty bad. Seviper at least only has a 1 retreat cost. Grimer and Spheal are definitely no good and Kyogre would use up more than half of your Energy to attack, so that's no good. If it's not going to attack, a 4 retreat cost is not going to work, so Seviper it is if you choose to go that route.

Agreed!

Aqua Diffuser is interesting, it gives a way for a Carvanha/Sharpedo/Seviper to make itself useful in the Active spot and potentially stall a bit.

I would do something like this, I think:
-1 Team Aqua's Admin
-1 Level Ball
-1 Team Aqua's Great Ball
-1 Trainers' Mail
-1 Acro Bike
-1 Sacred Ash
-3 Muscle Band
+3 Sky Field
+3 Team Aqua's Seviper
+3 Trick Coin
Can't fit the Diffuser here unfortunately though..

Made some similar changes, let me know what you think! :) Thanks for your input! I'm actually not sure how to fit Level Ball in here with Ultra Ball needed to search Shaymin.

I've been working on my own team aqua deck (kyogre) so im kinda in the same boat as u with trying to find what is good and what isn't since like no one uses these cards. I would think on splitting the 2 escape ropes to 1 escape rope and 1 switchI mean you never know. If you have any suggestions on aqua cards I would love to here them.

I've been working on my own team aqua deck (kyogre) so im kinda in the same boat as u with trying to find what is good and what isn't since like no one uses these cards. I would think on splitting the 2 escape ropes to 1 escape rope and 1 switchI mean you never know. If you have any suggestions on aqua cards I would love to here them.

The only reason I'm using Escape Rope at all is to get around annoying abilities like Wobbuffet. I shouldn't need to switch out my active, as Seviper can use Diffuser and retreat or attack afterwards, Sharpedo has free retreat, Mightyena is my attacker, and Shaymin EX I'll have to suck it up and retreat, otherwise Escape Rope does come in handy there. Point being, it's only there to get around Wobbuffet, as I think it will be more popular in XY-On with Bats.

Back