• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format XY-On: Finishing off this Golurk Deck (Golurk / Eeveelutions)

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
So I've got the core of my Golurk deck, but no matter what I do I just can't get it more consistent with the card spaces I have remaining. I've tried everything from Vespiquen to Yvetal. Any suggestions on how to finish off this deck and make it function more consistently?

Pokémon: 18
  • 2 Jolteon AOR 26
  • 2 Flareon AOR 13
  • 4 Golett AOR 34
  • 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 106
  • 4 Golurk AOR 35
  • 4 Eevee FFI 80
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 26
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 1 Switch
  • 4 Dimension Valley
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 1 Muscle Band
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
Energy: 10
  • 4 Strong Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 1 Lightning Energy
  • 1 Fire Energy
Total Cards - 54

I would suggest a few hard charms just to nullify that self damage from golurk's attack. Looks like a very nice deck, checks a nice portion of the meta :p

If only Leafeon with that nice ability existed, would be golden haha

I believe Golurk resists its own self-damage because it resists Fighting, unless I'm wrong.

What exactly are you having consistency issues with, getting the Pokemon out or powering them up? If it's the former, I recommend maxing out the Ultra Balls and adding a 4th Trainer's Mail. Pokemon Fan Club may also be a Supporter to consider, as you can grab an Eevee and a Shaymin, or a Golett and a Shaymin, and still get a bit of draw support despite not using a draw Supporter.

If it's the latter, I would recommend cutting out the Lightning energy and adding some more Fire. Eevee's ability is a really good one and lets you get the Jolteon/Flareon out right away, but it does mean wasting an Energy attachment- and without Energy Switch, that Energy's probably going to be dead for a lot of the game. Maybe a Flareon-Blacksmith engine for powering up Golurk would be something to try- as Flareon's ability makes Golurk Fire-type, you can use Blacksmith with it. 2 Blacksmith and a few more Fire energies mean you can potentially get Golurk up and running turn two- maybe still with an attachment to spare.

Please take this advice with a grain of salt- I haven't actually played around with this deck, though it does intrigue me.

I believe Golurk resists its own self-damage because it resists Fighting, unless I'm wrong.

I actually didn't think about that :p I thought that, since it was recoil damage, it would be like "colorless" damage

I realized I didn't really gave a suggestion...

I think strong energy is not that useful there, so I would exchange those for some fire energy and maybe add blacksmith + battle compressor, maybe that will add a bit more consistency even.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using Hawlucha to some considerable success. He is really perfect for coming in after they kill off a golurk and mopping up EX's that have been hit by a (non weakness) super power. With strong energy on both the previous golurk and the new hawlucha you can be doing 220 damage in two attacks.

-1 Lightning energy
-1 Fire energy

+1 Level ball
+1 Focus sash

That will help with consistency and you want to be running the Eevee with 60 HP not 50 HP as 50 HP is FAR too easy for bats to snipe off in one turn. Whereas 60 they need to commit to golbat, crobat and a swoop across. Energy evolution ability is awesome, but really if one of your energies gets prized then you won't be happy.

Now with six spaces left I would include

-1 Strong energy
+4 Fighting energy

Keep in mind how many people run hex maniac, and a hex maniac will knock strong energy off golurk.

Now we have 3 spaces left

-1 Muscle band
+2 Hawlucha
+2 Focus sash

If you can find space for a fourth focus sash do it. Hawlucha is good because Hawlucha with focus sash can do considerable damage in two hits to a aegislash ex. Then the second one can come in for the kill. Also free retreat is good so it's an auto promote after a KO so you don't have to guess your next move until after you have drawn your card. (you will know what I mean if you ever played donphan or bats)

Now, the reasoning behind focus sash is this, Golurk is OHKO anything that is weak to fire, lightning, psychic or fighting, but there are still a lot of other pokemon in the meta you won't be OHKOing. This is where the focus sash comes in. You hit them for 120 (140 strong energy) then they OHKO you, but with focus sash you are sat there still quite happily on 10 hp. This means you can get the THKO on the next turn for a 2 for 1 prize trade. Also this means that you can trade 2 pokemon for 1 against vespiquen as they are very likely to set up more than 130hp of damage so that means if you play it right you can promote Golurk (free retreat from hawlucha and switch ftw) kill vespiquen, their next vespiquen takes you down to 10 hp, you kill that one, then their third one kills you for a successful 2 for 1 trade. Then you can bring your second one out and repeat. Now I don't think many opponents will fall into this trap, but what it does mean is they are going to have to go straight into the defensive when you knock out their first one, they can't just promote their next attacker and retaliate for an even prize trade. That in itself is something worth considering. As for such a fragile deck like vespiquen (like night march before it) if they aren't attacking every turn they are most likely loosing the prize trade and the game because they have no way to stall. So if they can't rely on getting EX's (be careful when you leave shaymin on the bench for lysandre to snipe) then it is a pretty favourable match up.

And of course the main reason people weren't running loads of focus sash was bats, but with Golurks ancient trait we don't need to worry about no bats. Win win.

Also while hex maniac will shut off focus sash effect it's worth notting that it won't discard it. So unless they get a OHKO that turn you are fine.

Aegislash is a massive problem for this deck, and will be as popular as ever I would imagine. But lysandreing around it and hawlucha should be enough to get it down. I would try and find space for a hex maniac of your own too. Just because a flareon upgraded superpower after a hex maniac is your best way of dealing with aegislash. Hawlucha can only hit for 120 with focus sash (across two turns). Also 1 fighting stadium is worth playing with if you went with a heavier hawlucha line.

Also Korina could be a 1 of tech as it lets you get a hawlucha (underwhelming but not useless) but more importantly it's your best way of searching for a dimension valley, and if you have just a DCE and Strong/fighting energy down then you get messed up if your opponent kills off the dimension valley. Also you need a dimension valley for a turn two attack unless you commit two DCE. Which is risky but not completely terrible.

Last edited:
This is the list i use in my golurk deck:

Pokemon:
4-4 Golett Golurk
3 Eeve 2 Jolteon 2 Flareon

Support:
4 Sycamore
2 Shauna
2 Lysandre
2 Blacksmith
3 vs seeker

Items:
1 Sacred Ash
1 Professor letter
4 Trainer Mail
4 Acro Bike
2 Battle Compressor
4 Focus Sash
4 Dimension Valley
3 Ultra Ball
3 Lvl ball

Energies:
4 DCE
7 Fire

And i have plenty sucess, my only big concern are rayquaza decks that runs 2-2 altaria or decks thats play heavy lines of xerosic-megaphone, the rest of them just fall wrecked under THE SUPER RAINBOW POWER!

In expanded, if you are fine with playing that, then you can use Virizion EX with a decent amount of grass energies to accelerate Golurk and get it ready very quick, or if you play standard then there is a Palkia EX coming out sometime around the next set which in standard play will do the same thing except it uses Water energy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palkia-EX – Water – HP180
Basic Pokemon

[W][W] Aqua Turbo: 40 damage. Search your deck for 2 [W] Energy and attach them to 1 of your Benched Pokemon. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

[W][W][W][W] Pearl Hurricane: 120 damage. Choose 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon. This attack does 30 damage to it.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have used the Virizion option though in my Golurk/Eeveelutions deck in expanded and it can be another option instead of using blacksmith to accelerate energy, it might help with the speed of getting Golurk set up.

My deck uses these

3x Golett (AO)
3x Golurk (AO)
3x Eevee (AO)
2x Jolteon (AO)
2x Flareon (AO)
1x Shaymin EX (ROS)
2x Virizion EX (PlB) (or could potentially wait for the Palkia EX, for standard, to come out)
1x Mewtwo EX (ND) (or you could use Lugia EX (AO) for standard)

4x Double Colourless Energy
8x Grass Energy (or water if you were to use the Palkia EX when it comes out)

And then i also have 2 Energy Retrievals to get back some energy and my other trainers

This could be changed around, although this is based off what cards i have

I would suggest a few hard charms just to nullify that self damage from golurk's attack. Looks like a very nice deck, checks a nice portion of the meta :p

If only Leafeon with that nice ability existed, would be golden haha

Just as a reminder: Hard Charm does not protect a Pokemon from doing damage to itself.
Here is the text for Hard Charm:

Any damage done to the Pokémon this card is attached to by an opponent's attack is reduced by 20 (after applying Weakness and Resistance).

Aegislash is a massive problem for this deck, and will be as popular as ever I would imagine. But lysandreing around it and hawlucha should be enough to get it down. I would try and find space for a hex maniac of your own too. Just because a flareon upgraded superpower after a hex maniac is your best way of dealing with aegislash. Hawlucha can only hit for 120 with focus sash (across two turns). Also 1 fighting stadium is worth playing with if you went with a heavier hawlucha line.

While I agree, Aegislash is a formidable foe to this deck, I do not think Hex Manic will help with that match up. Don't forget that Hex Manic effects both players and therefore will stop all of your abilities. For this match-up there is not an easy tech that will sway the results in your favor. Some might consider Silent Lab and others might consider EXP. Share with Dimension Valley. I agree with Draaka, the best way to help this match-up would be Hawlucha with Focus Sash.

Finally, I do not think you need to use the ability for Eevee. While the ability will help you search out your Eevee, it will also slow down your attack speed and hurt the deck overall. Eevee's evolution is a major part of this deck but it needs to be able to function without them before you truly consider the benefits. However, if you do not use Hawlucha and fighting energy then I would suggest the fire energy and Blacksmith engine.

I personally run 2x Silent Lab's and 3x Dimensions Valley's in my Golurk /Eeveelutions deck.

Silent Lab helps a hell of a lot:
1st: It shuts down Shaymin-ex's draw.
2nd: It stops Aegislash-ex without stopping your eeveelutions or Golurks abilities.
3rd: It allows Hawlucha to hit for weakness! (also resistance, so be careful with that).

I also use 2x Deoxys to help smooth out draws.

I don't use blacksmith (space is too tight), just Landorus and DCE - with Dimension Valley I power up in a turn.

...There is 1 card that could combine well with Golurk that no-one seems to have tried yet, and I think is worth testing: Mega Sceptile-EX.
It hit's for the final 'main' weakness, can attach 2 energies in a single turn, and can heal off damage from your Golurk in a pinch
Unfortunately I don't own any, so I can't test myself.

Back