• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format XY-On: Anti-Meta (Vespiqueen / Flareon)

Jorgie

Aspiring Trainer
Vespiqueen/Eeveelutions Decklist – Post “Ancient Origins” Release

Pokemon: 22
  • 4 Combee (AOR)
  • 4 Vespiqueen (AOR)
  • 4 Eevee (FF)
  • 2 Jolteon (AOR)
  • 2 Flareon (AOR)
  • 2 Vaporeon (AOR)
  • 4 Unown (AOR)
Trainers: 28
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Professor Birch’s Observation
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Trainers Mail
  • 3 Battle Compressor
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 2 Giant Plant Forest
  • 1 Escape Rope
Energy: 10
  • 4 Double Colourless Energy
  • 2 Water Energy
  • 2 Lightning Energy
  • 2 Fire Energy
Strategy:

Hey all, coming back in to the game after a seasons break, and i've never been one to play "meta" decks per say. I have had a decent(ish) look through all the sets from X and Y onwards (probably next season's rotation?) and have found some interesting cards to put together a decklist. Mostly from Ancient Origins pokemon-wise it must be said!

I have developed this decklist to be an "anti-meta" build and I feel like it's nearly there. Due to me coming back in to the game I am not fully aware of everything that could be played in other cards place. For example, i'm not fully sold on Hawlucha due to it's pokemon power not allowing weakness, so could use with a fighting pokemon replacement. Same said with Lugia; but I thought with a DCE cost and it's potential to hit big damage with the powers of Jolt/Flar/Vaporeon, I thought it was too good to leave out.

This is essentially a modern working of a Flareon list that I played in previous seasons. Aim is to get out a Vespiqueen and get pokemon in to discard pile ASAP.

I would like to find room for the Giant Plant Forest Stadium, but am struggling to find room. I would like to swap out Hawlucha also for a more efficient fighting pokemon that we can use!

Any help would be much appreciated, any questions as to why I used particular cards as well, fire through :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
-6 Fighting Energy
-2 Hawlucha
-1 VS Seeker
-2 Escape Rope
-3 Bicycle
-1 Ultra Ball

So 15 cards to add

+3 Giant Plant Forest
+3 Battle Compressor
+3 Level Ball
+6 Various Grass/Fire/Water Energy

No idea how this deck will run, but I think these changes will make the deck quicker, since level ball searches everything but Lugia EX. Battle Compressor is a must in Flareon builds, and can be used to dump unneeded Eevolutions. Giant Plant Forest to help set-up quicker. Finally, my gut feeling is to use Energy Evolution Eevee with random energy, just for some acceleration and versatility.

Agree with switching up the energies. Not sure I agree with ultra ball switch for level ball as I want to be discarding unwanted resources. Escape rope is good imo as opponent switches and I then have my play to adjust as I please, and also free retreat plays in to that. Bicycle is for more drawing power as hand size will always be low.

Keen to add 2 battle compressor though

IMO, I would take out the two hawlucha for 2 battle compressor, as that is six more possible Pokemon that you can get in the discard quicker, I can see the benefits of hawlucha, but most of the time you want to attack with vespiqueen so you can get the most damage out, the most your doing with hawlucha is 80 with muscle band for one energy, while you can do much more with vespiqueen for the same stuff

I like that idea. Been thinking about that actually - the damage output I can get with Vespiqueen is far more efficient and more than Hawlucha anyway..

Will make that change in the deck list now. Would love to hear more discussions about this deck if people have suggestions!

Same said with Lugia; but I thought with a DCE cost and it's potential to hit big damage with the powers of Jolt/Flar/Vaporeon, I thought it was too good to leave out.
Jolteon/Flareon/Vaporeon's powers only effect Stage 1 Pokemon, meaning they don't effect Lugia.

I would second the addition of more Battle Compressors and I would like to suggest Level Balls in here.

My changes for the Level Balls would be:
-1 Lugia-EX (isn't effected by Eeveelutions, meaning it'll generally be inferior to Vespiquen)
-1 Ultra Ball (with Battle Compressor and Unown, the discard is overkill. Level Ball also searches out the entire deck)
-2 Escape Rope (3 is overkill. Vespiquen has free retreat so the only use the card has is if you start with an Eeveelution. If you want the opponent to switch, try to fit in some Lysandre.)

+4 Level Ball (searches out the entire deck with no consequence. Battle Compressors will discard enough resources and decking out is a serious concern with a fast deck like this)

I'd also try to fit in some Giant Plant Forest, by taking out these cards.
-1 Ultra Ball (see changes above)
-1 Professor Birch's Observations (4 is too many as it's an inferior Sycamore in this deck)

+2 Giant Plant Forest (if you can fit in a third one, I'd highly suggest it)

Ahhh! Knew I'd miss something. If Lugia isn't affected then I would definitely cut it.

I like the changes you have suggested - makes total sense dropping the ultra ball for level ball when you put it like that.

Also didn't want to have Lysander as I thought that using a supporter for that would be a waste. However, with the real engine of this deck being it's item cards having the supporter as a catcher doesn't seem such a bad idea.

I'm worried about coming up against a seismitoad deck though, guess you would hope you can get a Vespiqueen out fast enough to take it down...

Awesome suggestions so far guys, will update list with your suggestions soon.

Seismitoad matchup doesn't seem that bad honestly. 5 Pokemon in the discard pile are needed to OHKO one Seismitoad with a Muscle Band (1 discarded Pokemon for a 2HKO, which can be achieved by an Unown). With Unown and Battle Compressor, it doesn't seem that hard to discard to discard 5 in one turn before item lock becomes a thing.

If you're worried about draw cards, you can always try to fit in a Shaymin-EX or two.

Honestly, dedicated sesmitoad decks will become less prevalent know that trump is gone and all the grass support comes out, also I would recommend the 4 battle compressor and the Lysander, as it helps with the toad matchup, I would possibly suggest
-1 birch observations, having 3 is more then enough, especially with all the VS seeker
-1 vs seeker, 3 should be plenty, allowing you not to get clunked up as much when under lock, or when not usable
+1 lysandre, great card for getting around item lock or for KO key cards on your opponents bench, VS helps to reuse it too
+1 battle compressor, great card for these decks and the lifeblood of it, also helps to increase chance of starting with it and makes it easier to get

Here's my list, I'm posting it here to serve both as a beacon for OP and also to be open to suggestions from the community. My version is a bit quicker and more consistent (although prone to Vileplume-Toad item lock although I'm not really concerned with those showing up that often and even if they do, they're disadvantaged because I still get at the very least 1 turn opportunity to setup); the only real change I'm tempted to make is to add a 4th Level Ball for general consistency instead of Xerosic. I really like Xerosic, it's such an amazing card, but the struggle between speed and option variety is consuming me. (Please do tell me if I have to open a new thread to post a deck list, newbie here but figured it'd be pointless to have a same-themed double thread)

EDIT: Due to Mod clarification, this list is now for OP's guidance only :p Thank you Mora for the heads-up!

Pokémon: 24
4x Unown (draw engine+discard, really awesome card)
4x Combee (main attacker)
4x Vespiquen (main attacker)
4x Eevee (bench support/discard)
3x Flareon (bench support/discard)
2x Jolteon (bench support/discard)
1x Vaporeon (bench support/discard)
2x Shaymin-EX (draw engine, non-searchable with Level Ball)

Trainers: 28
4x Professor Sycamore (draw+discard)
2x Lysandre (disrupt)
1x Xerosic (disrupt)
1x Teammates (double free computer search, saved me a lot during tournaments, better than people think and awesome in a low hp deck)

3x Battle Compressor (discard)
3x Trainer's Mail (draw)
3x Giant-Plant Forest (speed queen setup)
3x VS Seeker (recycle vital supporter line)
3x Level Ball (arguably best card in this deck)
2x Ultra Ball (shaymin search/discard/last resort ball)
2x Muscle Band (queen tool power-up)
1x Switch

Energy: 8
4x Double Colorless Energy
2x Fire Energy
2x Lightning Energy

Last edited:
You can only post your own list in another thread as a means of helping the OP. You can't hijack someone's thread. If you want others to reply to your deck list, you should create your own thread in the Deck Garage. Thanks!

What do you guys think of using PHF Slurpuff instead of Shaymin-EX? Or an EX attacker? A big strength of this deck is only giving up one prize at a time, but the EX's could be Lysandre'd out and give up two prizes.

Slurpuff is generally a slower poké, takes up 2 slots instead of one (which are sorely needed for poke discarding) and you already have Unown for single draw and it discards himself, powering Queen. I get Slurpuff's purpose, but I really think Shaymin is just lighter, more consistent and makes the deck much stronger overall. Testing Slurpuff isn't a bad thought, though. But you need a 2-2 line undiscarded at least and that makes damage output suffer

I've been thinking of making a deck like this (minus the Shaymin-EX. As useful as it is for other decks I just see Shaymin as clutter but that's just my opinion)

Overall this deck seems decent but you may want to accommodate some Energy recycling into the deck. As solid as decks like this can be - You can't go into it with 8 energy, 4 of them being Special Energy - and expect to not lose them.

Edit: Noticed I replied to the wrong and right thing here. But anyway for the OP's deck: I think it looks pretty solid. It could change along with the meta though.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of making a deck like this (minus the Shaymin-EX. As useful as it is for other decks I just see Shaymin as clutter but that's just my opinion)

Overall this deck seems decent but you may want to accommodate some Energy recycling into the deck. As solid as decks like this can be - You can't go into it with 8 energy, 4 of them being Special Energy - and expect to not lose them.

Edit: Noticed I replied to the wrong and right thing here. But anyway for the OP's deck: I think it looks pretty solid. It could change along with the meta though.

I get what you're saying, but the thing is the only reliable source of energy recycle currently available (not counting Energy Retrieval because it isn't a viable option) is Bronzong and M Manectric-EX. The most logical step would be including Bronzong, but unfortunately that would mean the same as including Slurpuff: a slower, less inconsistent deck with less damage output overall. As risky as Shaymin can be, you can free retreat Vespiquen to make Shay go back to your hand -- Bronzong is a sitting duck and once it goes down (I'm looking at you annoying bats) then it's a problem. I know that it's nice to guarantee an attack every turn but the deck's speed allows you to have the resources you need to play a good prize trade before running out. I'd need to test that extensively obviously, especially against energy denial decks (e.g. Seismitoad/Crawdaunt) but my general feeling is that worrying about energy guarantee will hurt the deck's general smoothness. I can, and might be wrong, though. Too early to guess anything at all.

Here is the updated list so far. Still a wee bit unsure of the engine, I personally would rather have Bicycles than use something like Shaymin EX as the prize bait kind of defeats the purpose of using non-EX.

Lastly, energy recycle is the last thing i'm worried about, being able to get energy back in to play would be great... But really struggling to find room for anything without ruining it's consistency.

Here is the updated list so far. Still a wee bit unsure of the engine, I personally would rather have Bicycles than use something like Shaymin EX as the prize bait kind of defeats the purpose of using non-EX.

Lastly, energy recycle is the last thing i'm worried about, being able to get energy back in to play would be great... But really struggling to find room for anything without ruining it's consistency.
Bicycles will rotate out when the new set comes in, that's why the Shays are there.

Thanks for that. Thought they were X/Y :'(

Bummer! Well, I still would like to avoid having Shaymin in there (prizes and the fast they are like $30 haha) I will look for an alternative.

You are not allowed to have Bicycle in the deck because by the time Vespiquen is in the format Bicycle will have been rotated.

Back