Would you guys be interested in playing Base-Fossil or older formats?

Would you be intrested in playing Base-Fossil or something similar?

• Yes

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.
So I was talking to my friend and I mentioned how cool it'd be to play with the old cards and have a lot of people interested in playing the old format.

If you've ever played the Pokemon Trading Card Game Game Boy game, then you know Base-Fossil is one cool format! I want to know if there is any general interest in playing this old format. It wouldn't be too expensive, as most holos from this set are only 1-2 dollars and it is a much simpler and less "power creep"(well, there was no power to creep off of) format.

Maybe you guys would be more intrested in playing a larger game like Base-Rocket or all the way to the end of the Neo series?

I think it is always a fun experience to compare the new cards to the old ones.

Of course, the cards would be played like the old copies (Non AceSpec CPU Search, Energy Retrival's old text.) and not like the new ones.

As for where to play, I think Playtcg has a way to chose older cards, but I've never tried it. there is always skype and of course live events such as Leagues and Regionals. Also, I think the emulator GBDual can work with PTCG.

What do you guys think? Would it be cool or just pointless?

RE: Would you guys be interested in playing Base-Fossil?

Playtcg doesn't go back past Diamond and Pearl. Also, the good cards in base set like blastoise and stuff are like $10 and I think it's pointless to spend like $50 on a non legal deck.

Stuff like Hitmonchan is 1-2 Dollars, and I can't imagine Gust of Wind being expensive.

I have old retro decks from, base to team rocket

i have haymaker/wigglytuff and raindance with no newer cards than team rocket

I like that idea

Edit: I have like 10 base hitmonchans in my WoTc card binder

anthonypokemon1 said:

I like that idea

Why dont you make Venusaur Pokemon center?

I think it would be a lot more fun than the current format.

My concern is that a lot of the cards from the early sets are quite collectible. I couldn't ever justify shuffling a Blastoise. :p

I would, i wouldn't be scared of shuffling my blastoise because it's in horrible condition

I don't see what the problem is. I mean for the most part sleeves really help. Most of my decked cards are still in the same condition as when i put them in (then again, i don't play as often as I should). Also, I think it'd be cool to look into GBDual as a way to play PTCG the video game as Base-Fossil.

yeah, some yard sale scavenging is sure to get you some bad condition cards you could use :p

Who says that playing TCG does not go past Diamond and Pearl? I have news for you guys. ANY SET is playable. Those in new format may not think so because they are only on the format that is out currently but technically you can play old format with whoever you want. Those in the new format and era don't know about the old cards all to well and if you do I have news for you too. Just because a set is no longer currently on the market does not mean it can't be played anymore. EVERY set is playable. Just because it is not in tournament format does not mean it can't be played. To be honest all tournaments should allow every format since there are still players that play or collect the old cards. The reasons for not allowing to play old cards in tournaments does not give them the license to say no you can't have it here. Everyone is equal so I don't know why they make it harder for some to play the TCG. They need to update their standards to allow ALL formats.:)

yeah itd be expensive but i was thinking maybewe all just throw our cards in one pile and we have 30 mins to build and test our decks. and whenever at a garage sale we look for new old cardsto put in the pile

xxashxx said:
Who says that playing TCG does not go past Diamond and Pearl? I have news for you guys. ANY SET is playable. Those in new format may not think so because they are only on the format that is out currently but technically you can play old format with whoever you want. Those in the new format and era don't know about the old cards all to well and if you do I have news for you too. Just because a set is no longer currently on the market does not mean it can't be played anymore. EVERY set is playable. Just because it is not in tournament format does not mean it can't be played. To be honest all tournaments should allow every format since there are still players that play or collect the old cards. The reasons for not allowing to play old cards in tournaments does not give them the license to say no you can't have it here. Everyone is equal so I don't know why they make it harder for some to play the TCG. They need to update their standards to allow ALL formats.:)

No playtcg doesn't go past diamond pearl not tcg playtcg is a website where u play pokemon lol

xxashxx said:

the reason they do that is cuz people get tooo good at the game so they want to wipe it and give the noobs a fresh start. although there should be some tournaments that allow ALL cards

Wow, I do believe that this sounds amazingly fun. I could finally actually use my base set collection, and have a reason to collect fossil cards again. Would it be possible to create some sort of online league for Neo and back or something similar, or just like base set 2 and back? I think this could be a great concept if given some thought. Only problem is how to play if the people who wish to play don't live near each other. I will be checking out GBDual today, whatever that is, to see if it is viable. This seriously has me excited.

CrystalEyeMonster said:
anthonypokemon1 said:

I like that idea

Why dont you make Venusaur Pokemon center?

I dont know, Ive never tried it

I love my haymaker deck and my raindance, I let my friend borrow my raindance and I use my haymaker deck against it and my haymaker wins every time lol

mahboi.michael said:
xxashxx said:

the reason they do that is cuz people get tooo good at the game so they want to wipe it and give the noobs a fresh start. although there should be some tournaments that allow ALL cards

That is not a legitimate reason XD. As long as the cards are still being sold online or by retail there is no reason not to accept any generation cards.

The reason is some cards have had reprints many many MANY MANY times and the old cards would have worked just as well. They still do the exact same thing as the newer reprinted cards. They could have put the older cards to better use rather than reprinting the cards over and over. The ones the reprinted over and over could have been used to make never before seen cards. They did not need to make reprinted trainer cards. I could see doing that when Wizards of the Coast had them. They had the best make and quality overall for the TCG and would have been better if they had stuck with them too. The reprints are useless and they could have made better cards rather than doing reprints 10 times over XD.:)

I think this is a terrifically fun idea!! To be very honest though, I'd want to play with all the Neo sets as well. I'd love to use the Light & Dark Pokemon from back then, and some of the more intriguing Trainer Cards, like Mail from Bill, Pokemon Personality Test, Fossil Egg.

Not to mention we'd have super fun shenanigans like Chaos Gym and Slowking Neo D, right??

Whoa!! I still recall making a thread raving about how that was one of the most fun battles I had at League eveeerrrrr!

Just found out that red shark has really old cards in it. This would make it possible to play base-neo online.

xxashxx said:
1. He was talking about the program Playtcg.
2. Unlimited is a horribly flawed format. True unlimited (all formats) is extremely boring and is really stupidly unfair. You basically play decks that win T1 or you don't win.

I think its only fun when you include Team Rocket. Oh, and limiting the energy removal or just not including it at all is how I play with my friends. It opens up so much for playable decks. We built over 10 different decks that were pretty good.

Back