RBY Will the Virtual Console Releases of Red, Blue and Yellow Fix All the Bugs and Glitches?

Interesting question! It would be a shame to see them get rid of Mew and Missingno, but understandable, because these are glitches in the game. This raises a good point, but I'm not sure anyone can answer right now.

Last edited:
Yeah, Equinox really echoes most of my thoughts. Since we don't know anything about the release outside of the fact that it will be released, and that it will be updated to support wi-fi trading, there's no way to know yet if they'll fix the glitches or not. We probably won't know until it's released.

Personally, I'm leaning towards no. If there's anything I've learned from a husband who does programming for a living, it's that patching 1 bug usually creates 3 more. The game may have its issues, but for the most part it's stable, and I'm not sure how much they'd be willing to risk messing around with it, outside of updating the trading procedures anyway.

In any event, we should be finding out in a few months. :)

I'm kinda hoping that they do...
Just for game play reasons. Like for example:

Focus energy doesn't do anything in the game (on some Pokémon in gen 1 it could be pretty useful)
The fact that if you raise a stat too high in battle it will roll back over to 0.
The AI's intelligence was terrible... They will spam agility on you just if you're a fighting type.

Just some things like this they could fix to make the game play how it should. You know?

I'm a little conflicted about this. On one hand, leaving glitches in the game is bad style and would detract from the quality of the game. On the other, the glitches make it an authentic 1st gen experience. I'm leaning more towards the latter, they probably want something quick and easy that can instantly generate profit and they don't want to mess with the experience too much.

I believe it's confirmed they're going to keep everything in place, just make it able to use 3DS InfraRed Communications to trade Pokemon.

I think they don't want to ruin any feelings of nostalgia, they want to make the Red/Blue/Yellow virtual releases as faithful to the original games as possible.

Fixing these bugs won't make a difference in the sales. They can make a strong argument for leaving the game as is for the genuine experience. Wireless trading/battling was added because it is a feature that is required for the game to play as intended. When it comes to bug fixes, I wouldn't expect any, unless it was a bug related to the new trading system.

It would be awesome if they put a new Pokemon hidden in the game code similar to what they have done with Mew.

I wouldn't expect this to be ANYTHING MORE than just a port. It's not like this is some big project where they intend to fix all the bugs and imbalances and whatnot, because then they might as well have made new remakes instead in the first place lol.

And besides, the whole point of bringing it to virtual console (and not the remakes) is to preserve the original experience. In other words, they won't touch a bit of the games code, just make the 3DS emulate it and use the wifi-feature as its link-cable.

Back