Wild Blaze Set Discussion

Blockkkster

Aspiring Trainer
PokeBeach has posted scans of some new cards coming out in the Flash Fire set arriving in early May. From the looks of the cards, all of the Charizard EX's look good. Flare Up Charizard EX and Mega Charizard Y EX seem to be the better of the two.

Charizard-EX - Fire - HP180
Basic Pokemon

[C] Flare Up: Flip a coin. If heads, search your deck for 3 basic Energy and attach them to this Pokemon. Shuffle your deck afterwards.
[R][C][C][C] Fire Blast: 120 damage. Discard 1 Energy attached to this Pokemon.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2
M Charizard-EX - Fire - HP220
Mega Evolution - Evolves from Charizard-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.

[R][R][C][C][C] Crimson Dive: 300 damage. This Pokemon does 50 damage to itself.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Retreat: 1

This Mega Charizard seems even better combined with the Protect Cube item card.

Protect Cube - Trainer
Item

Pokemon Tool: Attach to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn't already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it. If that Pokemon is Knocked Out, discard this card.

The Pokemon this card is attached to receives no damage from its own attacks.

You can use any number of Trainer cards during your turn.

Other trainers released such as Flame Torch and Blacksmith makes it seem like Charizard or Fire types in General are going to be the new Darkrai/Dark Types from B/W. Or at least on par with them as Yveltal renews Dark's vigor. Once all but XY is rotated out I feel a combination of these cards will make this the sure "fire". Charizard decks will replace the dreaded Darkrai deck as the top deck after the rotation converting to just XY. Post your thoughts on these cards and what combinations you see!

RE: New Japanese Scans

Both of the 180HP Charizard EX are pretty good too. One has built in acceleration from the deck and the other can hit for 150 (170 with muscle band). I'm actually making a deck (theorymon) using Diggerby + dowsing machine + blacksmith to have unlimited fire acceleration. Either Charizard could work, but another possibility is Delphox which provides an attacker and a draw option in one. I also considered Magnezone now that we have so many supporters that do more than draw.

RE: New Japanese Scans

There's even more scans now, and things. The new Charizard EX is flipping broken (get it? Fliptini) For a colorless, on a flip, search your deck for 3 fire and attach (to make that really broken have a strafe effect). Plus you get all the support that you could ever need with Blacksmith and Flame Torch. Fire is getting pretty over powered by the looks of it. Bye bye Genesect!

Fire is way too overpowered in this set at the moment. Hopefully they give it some good balance. Alternatively, it's nice to have a mini-Engineer's Adjustments for Fire only. This next set is gonna make my Unlimited Fire Deck super-crazy-cool.

I have been waiting for Fire to be as powerful as Dark, Water, and Grass (after Plasma Blast), and finally that time has come. Fire is going to be OP and my Emboar deck will be almighty. v_v

Frost Mage said:
I have been waiting for Fire to be as powerful as Dark, Water, and Grass (after Plasma Blast), and finally that time has come. Fire is going to be OP and my Emboar deck will be almighty. v_v

Except Charizard Y is weak to Water and every other turn you can get a KO and that's it because they most likely will just be taking you down. Plus the earliest you can attack is T3.... IDK man seems a little fishy....

Yeah, I'd agree with you on the Water weakness. Since they are starters and starters have balance. Sacred Ash is going to be so awesome! Except we won't have a Ninjask/Shedinja deck for it to go in :(.

Don't worry, if fire ever gets big, we have this counter thing called Empoleon DEX. Hardest counter out there. Sacred ash is outclassed by super rod to a multiple of over 9000. Having the option to get energy is too good.

M-Charizard just isn't worth it when a regular Charizard EX has base damage of 150, and all this Fire will intimidate Grass to lower play, which means Virizion will fade slowly and Laser becomes more viable.

Charizard + Muscle Band + Laser hits that magic 180. It's just a case of working out the best support, which I personally think is Emboar.

Biggest disappointment is probably Mega Kangaskhan 3 for 100 plus 30 for coin flips just isn't that great.

Ryan Sinclair said:
Charizard + Muscle Band + Laser hits that magic 180. It's just a case of working out the best support, which I personally think is Emboar.

Meh, Charizard EX is outclassed by Rayquaza EX.

FearThePegasus said:
Biggest disappointment is probably Mega Kangaskhan 3 for 100 plus 30 for coin flips just isn't that great.

It could be a trolly deck combined with Fliptini. It's kinda funny actually haha. 130 for three isn't terrible, especially while DCE exists. You could build some fun decks that would be relatively inconsistent but enjoyable when you hit heads lol.

Ryan Sinclair said:
M-Charizard just isn't worth it when a regular Charizard EX has base damage of 150, and all this Fire will intimidate Grass to lower play, which means Virizion will fade slowly and Laser becomes more viable.

Yeah, but Keldeo, Keldeo is the GUY that kills Fire Types.
FearThePegasus said:

Fliptini is incoming, it helps a lot. You can combine it with a deck that give you Free Energies like Blastoise or Emboar and add a Fliptini.

I wouldn't even add Blastoise or Emboar in my Kanga deck. It's just Rare Candy and another line of Pokémon you'd have to worry about. I was thinking about Aromatisse and/or Exp. Share to keep the Energy in play. Unfortunately, it takes a turn to Mega-Evolve so you won't get Gangan Punch going until T3, but it gives you time to manipulate where your Energy are attached. Drawing three cards for the first turn isn't awful, but it'll give you more options for the next turn and to hopefully grab a Supporter or Trainer you need. I'll have to experiment with this when the cards come out.

Pyroar - Fire - HP110
Stage 1 - Evolves from Litleo

Ability: Intimidating Mane
This Pokemon takes no damage from the attacks of your opponent's Basic Pokemon.

[R][C][C] Heat Fang: 60+ damage. You may discard an [R] energy attached to this Pokemon. If you do. this attack does 30 more damage.

blaZofgold said:
Pyroar - Fire - HP110
Stage 1 - Evolves from Litleo

[R][C][C] Heat Fang: 60+ damage. You may discard an [R] energy attached to this Pokemon. If you do. this attack does 30 more damage.

That is brilliant! I have been a little sick of stage 1 and 2 cards not getting any attention, but with a card like this in the game, one would have to play at least 1 stage 1 line in every deck!

I also like Mastermind. I think Meowstic might be an interesting card to try out with that attack.

Looks like we're getting some other neat EX's in this set. Magnezone doesn't seem terrible. Toxicroak is an odd choice, but we'll see what happens.

Shiftry is... interesting. Leaf Draw seems good in principle, but without a Blastoise-type engine in Grass and no proposed reprint of Super Rod in the near future, I don't know how much he'll see play. Frenzy Dance is ridiculous, though. I know I'll be building around him in Unlimited, but for Standard, I don't see him being terribly popular.

Goodra also seems interesting, and more viable in Standard as long as we have Blastoise. The new Fairy Weakness prevents other Dragons from doing too much damage, but Wigglytuff is going to be pretty dangerous to go against. We'll have to see how things turn out, but I'm predicting something with Greninja and/or spamming Water Energy onto the field.

The new Trainers are pretty good. Magnetic Storm will be the new Stadium du jour. It doesn't punish you as harshly as Frozen City, but it still has better range than conditional stadiums such as Virbank or Skyarrow. Eliminating Resistance is a huge step in format balance. All the Full Arts look really nice. Pokemon Fan Club is the new Pokemon Collector, and every deck will benefit from it. Pokemon Center Lady is a Life Herb without the coin flip, and the downgrade from Item to Supporter is a sensible exchange for 100% effectiveness. Lysandre- Yeah, We don't need to talk about it, he's good.

Prank Scoop = annoying. Surprise Megaphone is good, and will likely replace Tool Scrapper, as it sweeps all tools and not just two. The other Items we've seen are all good cards, even if they are heavily Fire-oriented.

This should be a good set. Here's to more excellent reveals!

XY Flashfire decks/game-breaking cards

I felt that the last thread for XY decks and game-breaking was very popular, and with the new leaks of XY Flashfire I decided to start up a new one. Feel free to discuss any cards that you feel will be popular, a staple, tech, etc.

Here are some suggestions:

• - Caterpie-Butterfree T1 Evo?
    - Meowstic new Dusknoir?
    - Speaking of new Dusknoir... backwards sinister hand?
    - Shiftry/Milotic Good draw/energy acceleration?
    - Barbacle (does 30x fighting energy in hand for 2 fighting...with SER?)
    - Charizard EX; is it viable?
    - Pyroar OP
    - Floette for VirGen (+20 HP to grass)
    - Florges? Cheap energy and useful attacks.
    - Mega Charizard for 300
    - Druddigion OHKO Dragon-weak Pokémon
    - Dragalgae making poisoned pokemon unable to retreat!
    - Goodra counter to Garbodor and Tool Drop
    - Floatzel (says shuffle 3 POKEMON CARDS from discard to deck!)
    - Any uses for Kangaskhan EX/ Magezone EX/ Mega Kanga EX?
    - Buneary=Jumpluff?
    - Toxicroak EX+ Virbank City Gym + Muscle Band
    - Gold border Megas (like/dislike?)
    - Prank Scoop deck ideas
    - Surprise Megaphone better than, equal to, or worst then Tool Scrapper?
    - Uses for Sacred Ash, Protect Cube, Flame Torch, Blacksmith, Pokemon Center Lady, Magnetic Storm
    - Pal Pad...shuffle in 2 discarded supporters!
    - Lysandre better than, equal to, or worst than Pokémon catcher?
    - Pokemon Fan Club; can it make more space in decks (less balls, but a supporter).
    - 4 new EXs, 3 new Megas, 7 Full Arts and 3 Shinies...How do they look?

RE: XY Flashfire decks/game-breaking cards

Muscle Band doesn't work with Toxicroat-EX, it doesn't do damage to do 20 plus with Muscle band.

Back