Discussion Why Ultra Necrozma-GX over Necrozma-GX?

Pankace04

All Hail Lord Goomy!
Why Ultra Necrozma GX? I win much more of my league matches with plain old Necrozma GX. I don't see what is better about UN GX other than type and hp. It's hp advantage is lost if you run Rainbow Energy to deal with the steel cost, and Gardevoir GX can genererally OHKO it. People have been acting like it's the future, but I just don't see it. Partially because I own only one copy, but mainly because I don't like it, UN GX will never be in my deck. Thoughts? Do you see something I'm blind to that makes Ultra Necrozma GX better than Necrozma GX? If so, let me know!

Both Necrozmas come with their own pros and cons.
-Weakness of fairy on UN really isn't an issue since Gardy has fallen out of favour, so not having psychic or fighting weakness is nice.
-It usually only takes 2 energy attachments to reset UN for an OHKO, instead of 3 like Necrozma. If you already had the metal attached, 3 psychic attachments guarantees an OHKO on anything.
-I feel like Rainbow isn't the way to go, just 3 Metal and a Beast Energy, and Professor's Letter lets you grab one fairly consistently throughout the game if you run a couple of those.
-UN also has the advantage of being an Ultra Beast so you can have cards like Beast Energy and Beast Ring in the deck.
-Better Zoroark matchup than Necrozma.

That being said, Necrozma is usually a bit more consistent than UN in setting up.

@Pankace04 you question has been well answered by @ozzie347 If it needs a little more, will you accept "historical perspective"? Malamar (SM - Black Star Promos SM117; SM - Forbidden Light 51/131) and Ultra Necrozma-GX are basically an update of Eelektric (BW - Noble Victories 40/101) and Rayquaza-EX (BW - Dragons Exalted 85/124, 123/124; BW - Black Star Promos BW47), respectively, and even then the deck was already an update of the much older Blaziken (EX - Ruby & Sapphire 3/109) and Rayquaza-ex (EX - Dragons 97/97).

Of course, sometimes an older strategy isn't as effective as the "new" way of doing things, but in this case I'm mainly questioning your results due to using Rainbow Energy and not basic Metal Energy.

If I may be so blunt...

A league match is hardly a good depiction of the overall meta due to small sample size and, not to disrespect, likely people who are not nearly as experienced as your regional/national level players who often top 16/top 8 consistently. Sample size is really the big one here for me.

And part of the reason why people may see it as a good attacker moving into the future is because of the upcoming rotation. I'm not going to claim that UNGX is going to be BDIF post rotation, because I honestly don't even believe that to begin with, but to say that it's anything shy of being a contender for high level play is just strictly incorrect. Honestly speaking, decks should be playing both UNGX and regular Necrozma GX for various reasons. Having both is better than just one or the other.

UNGX will be relevant so long as Fairy never becomes dominant.

Because it hits harder with less recovery necessary to set back up. However, needing Metal hinders it enough for regular Necrozma to be a match. It also needs more deck space devotion than regular NGX. I prefer NGX because I don't like late game N and it has an edge in consistency. To each their own.

Because it hits harder with less recovery necessary to set back up. However, needing Metal hinders it enough for regular Necrozma to be a match. It also needs more deck space devotion than regular NGX. I prefer NGX because I don't like late game N and it has an edge in consistency. To each their own.
Me too lol.

Psychic weakness is largely irrelevant. Mewtwo isn't a threat, Mew and Mimikyu can be gusted around, and Mew-EX is also worth two Prizes.

I want to test the merits of Marshadow-GX. If played at the right time, it can steal four Prizes from Zoroark.

Would it be too hard to run like 3 regular and 1or 2 ultra? I mean, besides the energy costs, you could switch out to an ultra ver iv and when you need that over the normal ver.

Too many. Your Pokemon are already going to be jam packed. You don't need that many, and running ultra forces you to change up your whole trainer line to accommodate him.

Too many. Your Pokemon are already going to be jam packed. You don't need that many, and running ultra forces you to change up your whole trainer line to accommodate him.
That makes sense, marshadow gx would be an interesting addition too as you mentioned before. Were you just thinking of it as a one of?

Yes. It's only good against Zoroark. If you can drop it, power it up, and eclipse with it, you can gust out another one next turn and attach with whatever you like for another two prizes.

I agree with you! Psychic all the way. I feel like the metal version is just too inconsistent, the big numbers just aren't worth it.

I agree with you! Psychic all the way. I feel like the metal version is just too inconsistent, the big numbers just aren't worth it.
I've played UNGX since release and only had one game where it couldn't set-up. I've always hit the Metal energy when I needed it due to the insane consistency.

What's your list, out of curiosity?
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 3 Ultra Necrozma-GX FLI 95
* 2 Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX UPR 143
* 3 Inkay FLI 50
* 1 Lunala {*} UPR 62
* 1 Mew FCO 29
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 155
* 3 Malamar FLI 51

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 3 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 1 Beast Ring FLI 102
* 4 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 3 N FCO 105
* 1 Super Rod DRV 20
* 3 Ultra Ball SUM 161
* 3 Float Stone PLF 99
* 3 Guzma BUS 143
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 2 Choice Band BUS 162
* 3 Field Blower GRI 163
* 2 Parallel City BKT 145
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119

##Energy - 13

* 1 Beast Energy {*} FLI 117
* 4 Metal Energy SUM 163
* 8 Psychic Energy SUM 162

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 3 Ultra Necrozma-GX FLI 95
* 2 Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX UPR 143
* 3 Inkay FLI 50
* 1 Lunala {*} UPR 62
* 1 Mew FCO 29
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 155
* 3 Malamar FLI 51

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 3 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 1 Beast Ring FLI 102
* 4 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 3 N FCO 105
* 1 Super Rod DRV 20
* 3 Ultra Ball SUM 161
* 3 Float Stone PLF 99
* 3 Guzma BUS 143
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 2 Choice Band BUS 162
* 3 Field Blower GRI 163
* 2 Parallel City BKT 145
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119

##Energy - 13

* 1 Beast Energy {*} FLI 117
* 4 Metal Energy SUM 163
* 8 Psychic Energy SUM 162

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Wouldn't 2 Lele take up much needed bench space for Malamar's and such? That's, tbh, why I run 1 Lele in my variants.

Wouldn't 2 Lele take up much needed bench space for Malamar's and such? That's, tbh, why I run 1 Lele in my variants.
This isn't really the place to discuss this but I usually don't play both. They're just in case I need it :p

PokBeach doesn't like me today and won't let me edit out errors. Basically, the first word of my rant accidentally got separated from the rest of it. XP

Back