Why permission?

SixaxiS

I'm more special than you!!!
this topic is based on a discussion that was started in the monthly art contest hosted by Black Rayquaza. To prevent from going off-topic there, i suggest we discuss it further here. :p

Honestly, why would people bother posting images all over the internet and make people ask for permission to use them?

Millions of people just take them and upload them wherever they can for themselves as well as for other people, then use it at their own free will. This cannot be controlled by the internet or the ones surfing the internet. Therefore, making someone ask for permission to use something you willingly, and in full awareness, posted on the internet for everyone to find, is just dumb in my opinion :p

I know that, even on this website, there are countless people who use renders, brushes, and fonts without permission from those who created them. And as far as i know, those who created them don't care that they are being used anonymously, since they realize there's nothing they can do about it.

Let's see...i want to use an image i found on Google. I'll go to websites like Deviantart and take hours or even days of precious time to find the guy who made it so i can ask for his permission. Admit it, that's stupid right? :p

I'm not posting this to get out of "asking for permission" every time, or to make people share my vision on this. I'm just posting this because it's on my mind, and i'd like to know if there are others here who share my opinion. (that, and this is a topic worthy of discussion :p)

I agree with you, but it's probably because the people will know where to get it right? Or it's that they want to be known :p. I mean, if you think about it, they just want more people to use it.

Those people need a watermark in the corner or little sigs to put in their work but that's just me...

Actually Six all brushes from DA were made for that purpose since it was put in the resource section. Text is the same thing as the creators get money from the site that hosts the font. You ask for permission out of courtesy, but its usually not needed. Permission is needed to use something from DA because of copyright and infringement. Regardless of how stupid you think it is, that's what must be done in order to use an image from DA or any other site that requires you to ask (Yes DA does require permission as written in the rules somewhere).

First off, I want to thank you for taking this out of the Banner Thread to avoid spam. :) Thank you!

Well, SixaxiS, I understand where you're coming from, and you're entirely correct from the point of view you're taking.

However, I don't share that point of view and I believe, in the case of the contest, if someone finds the original artist on a site like DeviantART, then it is the user's right, in accordance to the rules of the contest, to ask permission from the artist at that time, regardless of whether or not he/she found it elsewhere first; it's like Black Rayquaza said: "...if its proven that it does come from DeviantArt then you gotta ask...if you google pretty much any pokemon, images will come up that are drawn by someone else on the...you have to make sure you know where your images come from."

I also feel this is correct about almost any art you find on the web. If one is required to get permission if he/she uses artwork drawn by someone else, then it is the person's sole responsibility to find the original artist, no matter how long it may take (though I suppose one would not want to spend excessive amounts of time on the search). Now, as for it taking quite some time to find the artwork, DeviantART (which is where almost every Pokémon artist will post his/her work, anyways) uses a tag system that makes finding work relatively easy. Also, I know most artists would be upset if they were to find their work being used without permission. There are those, like you said, that don't really care, but that doesn't mean all of them don't care.

I guess that what I'm saying is that if you're required to get permission from an artist before using one of his/her pieces, then it's your duty to follow the rules of the contest and find the artist, no matter how long it may take. Just because everyone else is using art and spreading it around without permission doesn't mean you should, especially when you need to have permission.

i wasn't really talking about the contest or its rules, but more of the general idea. But thanks for sharing your opinions either way :p

I realize its annoying for artists to see their works being used without permission, but finding that artist on the internet is like finding a needle in a haystack.

There are millions of people posting their art on websites, forums, blogs,...ect. and if you find an image on a certain website, it's impossible to track down it's source in order to find the artist.

I'll ask for permission if i find the artist, but like i said, that's not likely. And naturally, i'll not use said images for contests if the rules require permission.

I get all my images from photobucket, and if need be, i'll refer people to the one who uploaded said image, but from that moment on, it's no longer my problem as it is out of my hands. I'm merely assuming that those who uploaded the images have already asked for permission from the original artist, or from the one who has asked permission from the artist. And if they didn't, that's their problem, not mine.

First off, I completely agree with you Xous.

But let's get to the point, when you find an image of say a Rapidash on Deviant art, you don't think twice and save it to your computer to put in a banner. You make an incredibly awesome banner out of it and everyone tells you how great it is and how great an artist you are. Let's take the awesome looking Rapidash out of the banner now, yeah sure you have a nice background and maybe some cool text, but put that in your signature do you think people are going to say how wonderful it is and how great you are? Some might, but it will look unfinished and let's face it, boring. So naturally you would want that awesome Rapidash with a unique pose and great design in your banner to make it great. When the banner is great people aren't saying how great the designer of the Rapidash is, they're saying how great you are. So wouldn't it be the right thing to give credit where credit is do? So you really should give credit to an image in your banner or if not that at least ask the designer for permission to use his/her creation. Because when it's in your banner you are pretty much taking credit for it, and if you didn't do it then...well what's the difference between that and cheating?

It's common courtesy, you really should anyway but when it says you have to in the contest guidelines then there is really no excuse. There are a lot of great things out there on the internet, you just have to learn to utilize them properly. In the words of Aretha Franklin "All I'm askin' is for a little respect...R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Take care, TCB."

I think all images should be free on the internet. As long as you give credit to the person who made them, which is what the law is today. (We had this mega-retardondo unit in school about copyright and blah, blah, blah.) If you just took something, the person would feel kind of ripped off, and they would sue you. If you haven't figured it out by now, getting sued is when shifty people take your money. Getting sued is a bad thing. So stealing images is a bad thing. End of story.

The Members of PB: FJM, what you just wrote was "mega-retardondo".
FJM: :mad:

Back