Pokemon Why do the type matchups make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta

Selling colourful Pokemon to Celadon Game Corner
There are super effective matchups that make sense such as Fire beats Grass and Water beats Fire. But I always found that some types make sense but I don't know why; Grass beating Water, Ground beating Rock, Bug beating Psychic. It also doesn't seem to make much sense with other things like Psychic not effecting Dark. Can anyone tell me why the odd type matchups make sense?

It's a little confusing.

Gamefreak needed some sort of competitive basis for the game, and I don't think most other matchups make sense as much as these. Once you play the games a lot, they become part of your perception, and you see Dark as unaffected by Psychic, etc.

Psychic is weak to 3 common human fears (Fear of bugs, fear of the dark, fear of ghosts), so that's where bug comes from. But I agree that a lot of them don't make sense, they needed a lot of different matchups for a more interesting battling system.

Grass soaks up water. Anything else, though, is just to balance type weaknesses and resistances out to make the game competitive. That's all there really is to it. Anyway, I'll go ahead and close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back