Discussion Why do I hear the term "Greninja is dead"?

Shaymin speeds stuff up. Lele provides constistency.

It speeds things up exactly how in a Greninja deck? There is a point to having explosive openers in a lot of decks. Greninja isn't one of them. The issue with Greninja isn't speed in the opening hand. It is getting enough Greninjas up and running fast enough to start taking KOs without losing too many lower end pokemon. When I play against Greninja, I am hard pressed to remember too many times where my opponent's hand fell below 4 cards. I rarely see Ultra Ball being played in Greninja decks further limiting Shaymin's appeal (and Lele for that matter) because there aren't great ways to really drop hand size in Greninja.

Basically, I would put it this way. If a draw pokemon were an effective helper in this deck list, Greninja decks would already be running it. But that's not how Greninja works. Greninja is a control deck that starts slow and takes KOs later in the game. It isn't much different than Deciplume or Quad Lapras from that perspective. If there was an "Ocean of Massive Fish" card for water similar to Forest of Giant Plants for Deciplume, you would 100% see Shaymin being run with Greninja, Greninja would have been broken beyond belief, and "Ocean of Massive Fish" would have already been banned.

So I'm thinking about a Greninja deck swapping out Talonflame for Wobbuffet. Wonder if that will work. We don't use Shaymin after all... And I don't care what you guys say. It will be amazing.

So I'm thinking about a Greninja deck swapping out Talonflame for Wobbuffet. Wonder if that will work. We don't use Shaymin after all... And I don't care what you guys say. It will be amazing.

Make sure to add some float stones because you are going to need them to get Wobbuffet out of the active slot assuming you start it. The free retreat is an under appreciated aspect of Talonflame :). I can't say that I hate the idea though. The main thing I would worry about is the impact to your set up.

It's not a terrible deck, but I couldn't put it in the top 5 list of best decks in standard at the moment. I'm a fan of super quick, speed decks though, so I am admittedly biased against a deck like Greninja . I respect it as a deck, but I wouldn't take it to a tournament feel confident in my own ability to go to the top with it.

I'm really praying that Glaceon or Vaporeon GX is good enough to add in. But that's a high hope. Tapu lele is a possible consideration though.

Ive been destroying Garbo decks lately using my Greninja Deck. I reduced the item count to 15 and started playing a more support based strategy. I think Greninja is back to tier 2 with this new set, choice band and field blower are great additions to the deck.

Last edited:
Ive been destroying Garbo decks lately using my Greninja Deck. I reduced the item count to 15 and started playing a more support based strategy. I think Greninja is back to tier 2 with this new set, choice band and field blower are great additions to the deck.

This was exactly what I had expected would happen. Greninja is a downright nasty counter for Garbo decks.

I play 3 choice bands in my current list & I still play my 1 Kakui so I can get a plus 50 in a lot of cases this is overly helpful to 1 shot some ex cards. Darkrai EX ect. I currently run 2 Field blowers as well & was able to cut down on a Lysandre to 1. I still love the Espeon EX tech in the deck, it makes the deck so much better, highly reccomend it to anyone. With the stage 1 & 2 decks it makes for an easy KO with the excess of such heavy sniping, to bring down the heavy HP stages down to a low HP basic is amazing. I like the wobbafet idea, I shall be considering it, unsure if I could replace Talonflame for it though.

yes and no. It's, I believe, "dead", "faded", "lost", "retired", whatever you call it because of a weak and fragile startup and Forest of Giant Plants. I think that if there was a Pool of Powerful Water, this deck would be like Decidueye setting up almost turn 1, but I think that this is one of the 'best' decks because of how complicated you have to think to play the right techs and moves to get set up. and so far no one has found the right decklist to survive this current meta-game, but I promise you once AOR rotates out I'll be playing Greninja up to a storm, because it gives you that much breathing room.

I think Brooklet Hill will also help this deck, but there is still the Giratina Promo card, because of it, I don't think it is tier 2 maybe 2.5.

Brooklet hill could I guess help with getting Froakie, but You're going to want to get a rough seas or silent lab more, and you wouldn't want to use up to much space for a little contribution. If a really good basic come out though....

and you know what's worst than Garbodor for Decidueye.... Wobbuffet! But like I said I really think Greninja will be a much safer play next rotation because it's so adaptable and Stage 2 Grass decks won't be any where near as powerful without Forest. So woohoo to the future!

actually I agree to disagree, I think there are a lot of better plays know with Decidueye having no real way of dealing with Wobbuffet. and that leads to more creativity in a format that was going a little stale.

Greninja is a neat deck to play right now, but it's probably not going to win you very many tournaments. It did get Buffed with Choice Band and Kukui and Filed Blower, but I don't believe that it excatly puts it into the meta to be able to compete. For one, youve got to decide wether to use Bursting Balloon or Choice Band, and 2 you have to run 2 Field Blower, no exceptions. Garb is a big threat. Anyways, it loses to a lot of decks now especially since Wobb is getting increasingly popular, and then there are people playing Hex Wobb and Garb in the same deck, meaning you probably lose. I don't think Greninja will be meta until after rotation.

That's overly presumptuous a deck that constantly top cuts won't die that easily
that's exactly what happened to Greninja. Also DeciduPlume is basically non-existent in Japan due to Garb, in Japan the only decks that top-cut are Garb and Alolan Ninetales

Back