Who Still Plays Zekeels? My Battle Roads Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muddy68

Democrat to the End
Advanced Member
Well, the title says it all. I had been doubting its ability to win games in this format, especially against Darkrai. So during league on Thursday, I made several changes to the list and still kept the needed consistency to win the mirror. Turns out my list was slightly outdated as it still ran Thundurus, which I regretted doing, Tornadus EX,and only 1 Terrakion.
So, I arrived at the event after jamming out to Bob Seger in my dad's convertible (I love that car!). I needed to borrow Raikou EX, Mewtwo EX, and Tornadus EX (if you hadn't guessed it already, Dark Explorers PRs were very cruel to me). Thankfully, David Cook had everything I needed to borrow. I walked around a little after deck checking and was surprised by the large amount of Zekeels and the smaller amount of Darkrai. This was going to be an interesting BR. Well, here we go:

Round 1 vs. Natalie Shampay with Zekeels
Sweet, I begin with mirror. She tells me that she only has 1 Mewtwo in the deck, so I feel that I can safely begin and with the Mewtwo war. Well, her start is terrible with a Smeargle active and a Tynamo on the bench with nothing in hand. I start and have to Juniper 2 Eelektrik to get the game rolling. From that, I am able to hit the DCE for my active Mewtwo as well as 3 Plus Powers (played 2 before Juniper) and X-Balled her Smeargle so she couldn't use any of my Supporters. She draws and Ultra Balls for another Tynamo and passes. I draw, get an Eel into play as well as PONT, hoping to grab the Super Rod. I get it and use it to get back my Eels and then procede to KO a Tynamo. She draws, benches Mewtwo with Eviolite and passes. I draw and Catcher the Mewtwo up and X-Ball. She passes again and I KO the Mewtwo. At this point the game is pretty much over. She concedes.
1-0

Round 2 vs. ? with Mewscoops
Yes! I hate playing this deck! I start with Smeargle and get double heads on Dual Ball. Instead of grabbing a Mewtwo to try and donk his lone Oddish, I go for Tornadus. I have no idea why, so don't ask. I then attach a DCE to it and PONT. I get the Skyarrow Bridge as my 5th card and get the donk.
2-0

Round 3 vs. Diane S. with Klinklang EX/Vileplume
It sounds crazy, but somehow works very well. We both have terrible starts, but through some top decks and her terrible Sage draws, I get going and take a prize lead. She is eventually able to set up everything and begins Tromping with Groudon. I severely damage it with Mewtwo and she retreats. After she Seekers it, she is able to get out the Klinklang to join her Vileplume. She powers up Darkrai and lands 2 KOs to tie the prize count at 2-2. She told me it was reckless, but time was running out. I promote Smeargle and bench both Mewtwo and Terrakion in an attempt to thin out my deck. I PONT and miss the Fighting Energy. I then Portrait and find a Sage. I use it and get the Energy as the first card. Great game.
3-0

Round 4 vs. Jacob R with Klinklang EX
We both have nothing but he is able to actually search for Pokemon with Heavy Ball. Long story short, I scoop after he has KOed 2 EXes.
3-1

Round 5 vs. Eric Heise with Zekeels
This was a really funny game. I have to lead Mewtwo and begin building up my bench and manage to KO a Tynamo. He Collectors and gets Pachi, Shaymin, and Mewtwo and benches another Tynamo. I KO another Tynamo and draw a Plus Power off the prizes. He KOes my Mewtwo and I send up Thundurus. I catcher his benched Tornadus EX (he started with it), plus power, and N drawing Skyarrow, DCE, Mewtwo,and Raikou. I KO it for 2 prizes. He Junipers and whiffs on the Plus Power and hits Thundurus for 100, still not having any Eels on board. I bench Mewtwo, attach DCE, Dynamotor, and play Skyarrow. I retreat and KO his Mewtwo for the game.

4-1

Sweet, I made it as the 3rd seed. Time to play Zele (Mudkip711)!

Top 4 vs. Zele with Terrakion/Donphan/Tornadus

Game 1: Long story short, we both have bad starts but he is able to get Donphan and sweet.

Game 2: Well we both get much better starts and I am able to get a Tornadus up and running, KOing multiple Phanphys before they become Donphan. I then procede to catcher up a damaged Mewtwo with a DCE (from EQ) and X-Ball it for the KO. That just about seals the game there.

Game 3: I open fantastically, even though I am going 2nd. Zele Random Receivers three times and each time hits a Collector, sealing his fate. However, Tornadus is prized so I am forced to use Mewtwo as my attacker. Well he is able to break through one after multiple EQs and KOing his own Cleffa, but I just lay down my Tornadus that I had just drew from my prizes and attach a DCE. I KO another Donphan and he sends up one with 30 damage on it, forcing me to have the Plus Power to KO it. Well the prize I got from KOing the Donphan was just that. GG

5-1

Top 2 vs. Kevin Baxter with Zekeels and Terrakion

Just a note, this is the most boring Top Cut ever...

Game 1: I have nothing and he is able to quickly set up and I scoop.

Game 2: He has nothing and scoops.

Game 3: We both have solid starts however he is able to surge ahead since I started with Tornadus. He KOs it with his Raikou and I am not able to get the Terrakion to KO it back. I quickly fall behind until we both have nothing. At this point, I know it's over since he just needs 2 more prizes and has a Raikou in play. I just send out Mewtwo and seal my fate. Oh well, I would have lost in 3 turns anyways...

5-2

Well, got my packs, only opened an Empoleon with I did want. Zele of course pulls the only EX left, Kyorge EX FA. And he got 3rd!! Oh well, I go to Rockney's with my parents for dinner and watch a taped The Next Food Network Star when I get home. Fin.

Props:
Top 2
David for lending me stuff
Empoleon
Playing Zele
John Lathem for hosting a spectacular tourney
Mike Allen for calling my mom to come get me
Kevin for being great to play against
Diane for giving me a great game

Slops:
Not winning
Not pulling anything other than Empoleon
Zele for getting the EX :p
Whiffing on Switches
Last tourney until Nats
Bad starts
Boring Top Cut

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the lack of interesting Top Cut games.

I'm Natalie!
Oh god, my start was so awful. Embarrassing.
I'm never really on the Beach, it's funny because I googled Zekeels Battle Roads Reports and there I am. Losing, but there.
Congrats on your top cut! :)

nice BR report, and congratulations on coming in 2nd :) (also it's really cool that zeels top both top 2 slots :D )

Monferno, please do not revive dead threads (threads 2 or more weeks older).

*NIGEL LAWK*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back