Discussion Where oh where has Garbodor gone?

21times

Aspiring Trainer
Oh where oh where can he be?

Seriously, Beach Bums, I've seen him 3 times in 108 matches this month. And ability based decks are beyond rampant. Only 5 decks in my last 33 matches (2 in my last 21) did not run a Pokemon with abilities other than Shaymin, Hoopa, and Talonflame.

I think I am going to have to get Yveltal Garb back out.

Oh where oh where can he be?

Seriously, Beach Bums, I've seen him 3 times in 108 matches this month. And ability based decks are beyond rampant. Only 5 decks in my last 33 matches (2 in my last 21) did not run a Pokemon with abilities other than Shaymin, Hoopa, and Talonflame.

I think I am going to have to get Yveltal Garb back out.
I think people are to scared of Item Lock.

With the abilit rampant decks if I'm playing m mewtwo, I always run a 2-2 line. It's tough because you lose 5-7 cards. 2 trub, 2 garb, and tools. Item lock sucks but vileplume will be gone soon and didn't see much play before SUM (as far as my areas)

Short version: Item Lock.

Long version: Wobbuffet and Hex Maniac provide more immediate benefits compared to Garbodor. Since Garbodor takes two turns to set up and a Tool to work, it is a lot of pieces that have to hit before Item Lock is established. If you fail to establish the Ability lock in time, Decidueye can easily snipe Trubbish/Garbodor. Compared to Wobbuffet and Hex Maniac, it is too slow, even if it is almost permanent. Wobbuffet in the Active or a well-timed Hex Maniac are the best counters to Decidueye/Vileplume builds at the moment.

Yes I just discovered wobufget and his bide barricade. I haven't had a chance to play him yet in my mega mewtwo deck. Hex maniac honestly I haven't played much, but shoukd maybe add a one of into the deck. I see your point about being slow, but a bide barricade will only last you so long. It's an ideal starter so you can get set up, but running multiple copies I feel could clog up a deck. Thoughts on count?

Yes I just discovered wobufget and his bide barricade. I haven't had a chance to play him yet in my mega mewtwo deck. Hex maniac honestly I haven't played much, but shoukd maybe add a one of into the deck. I see your point about being slow, but a bide barricade will only last you so long. It's an ideal starter so you can get set up, but running multiple copies I feel could clog up a deck. Thoughts on count?

For Wobbuffet, it depends on how much Decidueye/Vileplume or ability-centric decks you face, how much you want to counter it, and if you can set up under mutual non-Psychic ability lock for Wobbuffet. Usually, in an Item-centric deck like Vespiquen, at least one or two, three if you want it as a starter, especially if you can use Psychic Energy. In most meta decks, Wobbuffet is a tough fit, even if it takes less spaces than Garbodor. The added benefit with using Wobbuffet is locking both players out of Shaymin-EX, which can help you in the long-run. Right now, MM2 and Espeon-GX can make the most use out of Wobbuffet along with decks that can easily set up with Ability Lock.

For Hex Maniac, run at least one if you rely on an Item cards. It is usually the better alternative than fitting in multiple Wobbuffet and saves you a lot of space. If you are having a lot of trouble with Ability-focused decks, a second copy isn't a bad idea.

I feel like another factor is the upcoming release of Field Blower. Item lock is happening now, yes, but mentally preparing for that new item is making Garbodor lose a bit of favor in the coming weeks.

The hilarious thing I just thought about too is that playing Garb against Vileplume actually grants the Vileplume deck the ability to use said Field Blower item to neutralize Garb for the match until they get a Hex and can reattach or something. Field Blower rocks.

Hah funniest thing I've heard all day. Good one Seth.

I'll go you one further on field blower: think about how much people depend on float stones not just for Garb but for any heavy retreat cost Pokemon. Think about it for Decidueye players: you'll play Field Blower, knock off any float stones in play, Lysandre up a 2 or 3 retreat cost Pokemon, and then just drop Feather Arrows on opponents until the cows come home. I'm not saying Field Blower is a 4 of, but it's going to be teched into every deck. Fighting Fury belt, gone, Exp Share, forget it, lucky helment, not so lucky anymore.

Hah funniest thing I've heard all day. Good one Seth.

I'll go you one further on field blower: think about how much people depend on float stones not just for Garb but for any heavy retreat cost Pokemon. Think about it for Decidueye players: you'll play Field Blower, knock off any float stones in play, Lysandre up a 2 or 3 retreat cost Pokemon, and then just drop Feather Arrows on opponents until the cows come home. I'm not saying Field Blower is a 4 of, but it's going to be teched into every deck. Fighting Fury belt, gone, Exp Share, forget it, lucky helment, not so lucky anymore.

It will be just like it currently is in expanded. You can't bank on your tools there and people are far more conservative with placing them (especially spirit links). It will be a 1 or 2 (at most) of in every deck the same way some variant of Tool Scrapper / Startling Megaphone / Xerosic are in expanded. It will actually replace Tool Scrapper which is pretty sick since that card was pretty amazing on its own. Adding in stadiums is gravy. I almost never see Garbodor in expanded as much more than a stall tactic. It doesn't have the devastating "shut everything down" value it does in the current standard meta.

All that said, I think there is a lot of Wobb being played and also just a lot of "if you can't beat them, join them" going on with Deciplume / Lurantis Vileplume / etc. I see both decks a lot anymore and have played them a fair amount myself. I don't know about anyone else, but the decks I see most frequently are Deciplume, Lurantis Vileplume, Volcanion, M Mewtwo, Quad Lapras / Water Box Lapras, and Turbo Darkrai. I swear the online game's algorithm is flawed though because when I play certain decks, I am virtually guaranteed to see a heavy rotation of "x" deck and far less of another deck. It certainly doesn't feel like I see a representative sample.

Excellent, great insight FayID. I don't play any expanded so it's nice to know what's going on in there.

As far as the algorithm, I had a conversation somewhere on this site about that at one point, and a programmer who responded thought that it was probably just a simple as putting people in a que. He didn't think it had any parameters for selection except that it put beginners with beginners and people who have played a lot with other people who have played a lot.

But I know what you're saying. I pulled out Yveltal Garb the other night because I have been seeing so many abilities, and the first deck I come up against has Carbink Break. I hadn't seen him in almost a month, but I get matched up against him the first time I play Yveltal Garb in forever.

Excellent, great insight FayID. I don't play any expanded so it's nice to know what's going on in there.

As far as the algorithm, I had a conversation somewhere on this site about that at one point, and a programmer who responded thought that it was probably just a simple as putting people in a que. He didn't think it had any parameters for selection except that it put beginners with beginners and people who have played a lot with other people who have played a lot.

But I know what you're saying. I pulled out Yveltal Garb the other night because I have been seeing so many abilities, and the first deck I come up against has Carbink Break. I hadn't seen him in almost a month, but I get matched up against him the first time I play Yveltal Garb in forever.

Not trying to hijack your post, but I think the algorithm is a legitimate aspect of this discussion.

It has gotten to the point where I can predict the decks I will see based on what I am using. Also, if it was just based on wins and losses or some weighted scale, I think I would see a lot wider variety of decks. I mean, I have literally not seen Greninja in two months and the instant I rock a deck with Kingdra EX, I see two back to back. While I know few people are playing it lately, it seems rather interesting that I then play 4 games with Jolteon and see nothing but dark decks.

I don't think it is a coincidence. I am guessing they have certain card archetypes they consider for the match as well in order to spice things up. If 90 percent of my tier is playing deciplume (clearly an example lol) it would get awfully boring only seeing deciplume in match making.

Maybe we should move this to a separate post. Here's what I'll say: I do write some code (visual basic) but my degree and expertise is not in computer science. But from what I do know, it would be very difficult to write code that would pair players together based on what they are playing. It would be a whole lot easier to simply grab the next two players in the cue, compare their win loss records, and assign an advantage if one of them has a significantly higher win loss percentage. I also know that they do not have a large team supporting this game. The words I heard on one video were "skeleton crew." Knowing how long it takes them to repair known bugs, I believe that is true. Therefore, I think they would tend towards simple solutions whenever they can.

Having said that, I played 13 matches with Decidueye tonight, and 4 of them were against Volcanion. I played two water decks, and one was Gyarados (weak to lightning).

Maybe we should move this to a separate post. Here's what I'll say: I do write some code (visual basic) but my degree and expertise is not in computer science. But from what I do know, it would be very difficult to write code that would pair players together based on what they are playing. It would be a whole lot easier to simply grab the next two players in the cue, compare their win loss records, and assign an advantage if one of them has a significantly higher win loss percentage. I also know that they do not have a large team supporting this game. The words I heard on one video were "skeleton crew." Knowing how long it takes them to repair known bugs, I believe that is true. Therefore, I think they would tend towards simple solutions whenever they can.

Having said that, I played 13 matches with Decidueye tonight, and 4 of them were against Volcanion. I played two water decks, and one was Gyarados (weak to lightning).

Agreed. We can (and should) take this discussion to a PM / different thread LOL!

Better players could probably do this explanation more justice, but this is what I see :)

I think that Garb is a lot harder to set up effectively in the new standard meta's item lock heavy environment. That is also a lot like expanded where the chances of being locked out are quite a bit higher than in standard because there are 3 item lock options and 2 of them are far more reliable and devastating than Vileplume (Seismitoad EX / Trevenant XY) because they are also one sided. I think the format is instructive though because it shows what happens when there are reliable tool removal options. Are there decks that run Garb in expanded? Absolutely. But the two decks that I see where it is most commonly played are Toad Garb and Sableye Garb. Neither have standard decks that really do what they do and decks that could be similar (M Mewtwo / Yveltal Garb) either have better partners (Yveltal w/ Maxies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yveltal Garb) or can't keep up with the speed of the format (M Mewtwo is considered slow in a format where hitting for 180+ or more T1/T2 can and frequently does happen from a variety of decks).

To explain where I think Garb's niche works in the format, I think it is important to understand those two decks. Both are extreme control decks.

Sableye Garb is looking to deck you out using junk hunt to retrieve cards that were previously discarded and denies energy, prizes, cards in hand, etc. in order to keep you from every really getting set up. I have seen players try to take prizes with it, but the best players I have faced just keep you locked down so hard that you never get a chance to really do much. Basically, Garb is effective because chances are you never really get much of a shot to use your tool killer of choice in the first place. Closest example in standard is Quad Lapras and Quad Lapras doesn't come close to this level of lock down and it also attacks. Maybe with the new Sableye coming out in SUM2 there might be something nasty like Sableye (the one that blocks supporters in SUM2) / Tsareena / Vileplume that will play like it. I hope that never becomes a thing LOL!

Seismitoad Garb is probably also closest to Quad Lapras in standard, but it achieves its soul crushing victories (can you tell how much I love this deck?) by cutting off your items T1 (went second)/T2 (went first) using Toad (I don't remember the last time I saw it miss that) and then poisoning the bejesus out you of while denying energy / abilities / items / any chance at attacking / your desire to ever play the game in a slow burn of prize taking agony. Oh, and don't forget that some decks run Ghetsis! Those items you hope to use? BAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH! If it sounds like Quad Lapras on steroids, that pretty much covers it. You don't get to do ANYTHING if this deck is set up right.

But you can see there is a definite pattern. Absolutely dominant control over the entire game. Neither of these decks are looking to crush you like the current standard decks are. They are meant to stop you in your tracks completely and both are very good at it. That isn't to say that the standard format can't find a different use for Garb (indeed it did until about a month ago), but once there is a reliable item based tool removal option, Garb becomes more of a nuisance than a powerhouse. Even the simple rise of a deck that effectively implements Vileplume was enough to severely hamper Garb's use because it now requires a combination to get set up if you are locked out of items. I don't want to say Garb is dead once SUM2 comes out, but I think the Plume decks built the coffin and SUM2 is going to nail it shut for all but the most specific of decks.

Back