Discussion What's your local meta like?

Hippydude

Aspiring Trainer
I'm kind of curious what others are facing out there in their local card shops and metas. Is your local venue restricted to top tier decks only? Is it casual? What decks do you see others running? What do you play?

For my local league I think meta there is very unorthodox. Past couple of weeks it has consisted of a couple of mill decks, primal kyogre, a glalie ex deck, and a magma zangoose deck running around.

I believe that there are about 4 fairy players where I play. We also have an Entei/Charizard player, who recently ditched it for Scizor without Bronzong, and a Palkia/Kyogre deck. And from time to time (their schedule permitting), we have somebody who plays Night March or Girantina/Vilplume. As for myself, I try to stick to tiered decks: Metal Ray (personal favorite), YZG, M Manectric, and I've been working on a Medicham. Oh, I forgot about the Sceptile and Mewtwo Y players. The rest are just decks that are thrown together by parents for their kids. Overall out of about 20 people, I believe that about 3 to 6 of us play with tiered lists.

Not so sure why everybody around here likes playing fairy, but my Metal Ray will take hitting for weakness.

(Note: I only listed Standard meta. Can provide expanded if you would like.)

Our meta is highly competitive in our state. Players in our area play decks that win and sit at the top tier levels. We have very old and competitive players. We have quite a few worlds players too. Mater of fact, I can list only a handful of times I've seen players play something a bit out of sorts at tournaments. Most of the time, players compete with top tier decks at LCs, and they are usually trying out a twist, like adding in a Bunbly/Wobbufett or tossing in a Parallel City. Other than that, League Challenges are pretty much like watching a Regional, State, or Worlds competition. It's understandable, all the trainers are fighting for points at every challenge.

1For standard and expanded we have 4 wild cards which play tier a -s ranked decks. But as of this weekend it looks like this.

For standard we have:
1 M Gardevior EX,
2 M Sceptile EX,
1 Raichu BREAK,
1 Toad / Manectric / bats,
1 Toad / Slowking,
1 Gengar / bats,
1 Darkrai EX / Malamar EX,
1 Yveltal / Zoroark / M Mewtwo Y / Hex / Silent Lab (me),
1 Houndoom EX / Bunnelby,
1 Greninja BREAK,
1 Trevenant BREAK (me),
1 M Manectric EX / Ho-Oh EX.

Expanded,
1 Vespiquen / Flareon,
3 Night March / Maxies (1 is me),
1 Trevenant BREAK (me),
2 Primal Groudon EX / Wobbuffet (1 is me),
idk how many Yveltal / Maxie's, (everyone has the cards for the deck)
1 Toad / bats (made top 8 at Oregon this weekend).

And a few worlds decks from 2015 floating around.

So for standard it's super diverse, nobody really plays the same deck (except for our league organizers which love sceptile), as for expanded which really comes down to what is more competitive as we do a lot more testing for expanded then we do for standard.

Last edited:
Pretty interesting stuff there guys. I see thats theres alot of different metas out there. I kind of wish i had a more tier based meta because it makes it hard to test stuff for bigger tourneys. One example is that while most of the competitive meta runs special energy, my local one doesnt. Only deck that runs special energy is the magma deck, so almost all energy hate is pretty useless.

Back